Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven
Reload this Page >

Crankshaft in wrong direction?

Notices

Crankshaft in wrong direction?

Old 09-28-2007, 03:50 AM
calcop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft in wrong direction?

Hey everyone,

I just completed building my Heli-Max Kinetic 50. I started it to run a tank of fuel though the engine (to break it in). Anyway, while I was doing this, I reved up the engine. I quickly brought the gas back down (becuase I wanted to reposition myself) and all of a sudden my heli started yawing to the right.

This was weird, since there was a heading hold gyro on the heli. I tried to correct this by giving left yaw, but it just went faster! I also noticed that the rotor head was slowing down. All of a sudden, the rotor head started spinning the wrong way. I left the engine at idle and looked at the main gear. Sure enough, it was spinning the wrong way.

I shut down the engine and restarted it. No further problems. Now, what the heck happened!?!? I was using an O.S. 50SX-H Ringed Hyper engine. Is it possible that the piston connecting rod and crankshaft started spinning the wrong way all of a sudden?

matt
Old 09-28-2007, 01:32 PM
syclic

Default RE: Crankshaft in wrong direction?

Your engine was set too rich, when you throttled back, it backfired and started turning backwards.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM
theLane
My Feedback: (1)

yup... it's very weird, but I had it happen to me. Started the heli and the engine was running backwards.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:27 PM
calcop

That makes sense. I will mess with the mixture. I had it set to what OS instructions recommended, but it never hurts to play around with it.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:26 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 248 Likes on 200 Posts

Low end too rich, just "tease" the low end screw dont go making large adjustments.