Notices

hawk pro drive gear lube?

Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
semi_conscious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawk pro drive gear lube?

just test flew my hawk pro yesterday for the first time.. i could really hear the drive gears working and it got me wondering if there should be some lube used on them.. i lubed the tail drive gears as per instructions..but i dont think the instructions said anything about it main drive gears.. it seems like something should be used there to stop premature wear.. dry graphite? lithium grease? any suggestions would be appriciated.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:52 PM
syclic

Default RE: hawk pro drive gear lube?

Duplicated below.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:54 PM
syclic

Due to the fact that it uses a two-stage system it generates a different gear sound then most others. But this also means that the mesh is not as critical.

But do not lubricate them, as they break in, and form to each other, the noise will become less. Lubrecating them will attract dirt and they will then wear much faster then normal.

You will find the gears will last for well over 500 flights, not lubricated and in normal use.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 PM
semi_conscious

Thanks for the reply Syclic.. I hovered a tank through it last night and it already sounds better than the first tank.. I'm getting the gyro dialed in better and feeling more comfortable with it.. The nylon gears were an area where I wasn't sure what was best for them..The Hawk Pro manual leaves out so much info.. I have copies of the Hawk Sport pdf's also. I'm trying to soak up as much info as I can. Living in Southwest Kansas where there are more cows than people doesn't leave me many resident heli experts to gain knowledge from. So far so so good.. practice practice sim sim practice

Thanks again!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:33 PM
syclic

Semi

Glad to help - Learning to fly R/C helis is a relatively steep learning curve, so don't be afraid to ask questions, that is how we all learned.