Notices

Hawk pro first start

Old 04-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Broncoflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawk pro first start

Hi all,
Yesterday I fired up just the mechanics of my century airwolf and I have a few questions that need to be addressed before it goes into the airwolf fuse. I had the heli strapped down and was running the century manual suggested throttle and pitch curve settings with max pitch at +4.5deg. I adjusted carb until I had 1600 rpm give or take at 50% and I had it up to 1920 rpm at full throttle. I am having trouble finding where I read what these rpms should be. are they close? Second question, I seem to get a lot of oil residue from the exhaust. I am using XPFuel's heli extreme blend 30% nitro and 23%oil content. Lots of exhaust smoke in the midrange when most of this oil output seems to accumulate. The engine is a OS 46FX. My nitro cars dont have this oil residue but I dont know the oil content in the traxxas fuel so I cant really compare the two. The only vibration in the machine seems to be a quick hick-up at about part throttle so I think that I have to keep leaning out the mixture screw, but as i do this the WOT rpm keeps climbing. How fast is too fast for an engine? should I just keep going and then limit engine output with the atv's or is the fastest headspeed the best?
Thanks for any help
Old 04-02-2008, 11:04 PM
syclic

Default RE: Hawk pro first start

Where in the manual does i sa that MAXIMUM pich should be set at 4.5 degrees????? That is the suggested bal park hover pitch setting!!!! Depending on what RPM you want to fly at, and power you have available (engine/muffler/fuel nitro cntent) your top pitch will be from 9 to 11. Of course at full left stick (full 100% throttle opening singing the blades at only a low load 4 1/2 degres of pitch your rotor speed would be balistic!

Check out the "sticky" here, on setting up a Hawk by SteveH.

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t321886p1/

Why did you install an OS46 instead of the OS32 or 37? - Are you using the stock gear ratio?

What muffler?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Broncoflyer

It doesnt say in the manual to set max pitch at 4.5. I read that that is a good place to start when setting up the radio for beginners . Norml mode -1deg to +4.5deg. Only 4.5 deg pos so you can get hovering without going to the moon and only 1 degree neg so when it does try to go to the moon and I pull it down it doesnt go down like a rocket. Pretty much made good sense to me.
I am using the engine that was bolted into this heli when I bought it. I dont know why the guy I bought it from chose this engine. Perhaps cuz its bigger. I see in reviews of this heli that it was an upgrade. Most ppl like upgrades if they can afford it.
The muffler I am using also came bolted to this heli. I dont know the century part number off hand but its the square one they reccomend for scale helis. I dont know if its a good muffler but I do know its good at changing heli fuel into chainsaw oil, if i were to bother trying to collect it as it spewed out
As far as singing the blades at 100% and rotor speed being ballistic, well, more to the point of my post, what is ballistic? Whats to fast whats too slow ? thats all i was askin.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
syclic

Did you take the time to read the sticky I pointed you too?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:22 AM
jamesc43
My Feedback: (2)

I didn't read the sticky but I agree with what he says. If you only have 4.5 degrees of pitch built into
the helicopter then it will not fly corretly even with the fuse on it. That is at best the hovering pitch.
That is partly why you are getting the high rotor rpm's. As I recall the manuals do not what the max
rotor rpm's should be but I would be go above 1900 at the most. What size of blades are you using?

The oil residue is normal. Heli fuel contains more oil than car fuel. The oil is one of the main sources
of cooling fo the helicopter since it does not get the added cooling effect of a propeller.

A full Airwolf fuse will add weight to the heli mechanics and the added power of the 46 will help but it
is not necessary.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Broncoflyer

Yes syclic, I saw that sticky posted in another thread the other day, probably by you, and i printed it out then and that is now how my heli is set up. The max 4.5 pitch I had set was in the radio, not in the heli.
James, thanks for the info on the oil residue. I wasnt sure if I should be leaning the mixture to get rid of it or not but if its normal, then all is well. The blades I believe are 550mm. last week while on a little vacation out of my little town I actually got the opportunity to go into a hobby shop that was big on RC helis and planes. (Cost me about 700 to get out the door when i was done ) but it was worth it. The guy in the store figured the 550mm blades were to small. I'm not to sure if they would have come in the kit when the guy bought it or if he chose them himself but thats what I have. The guy in the hobby store figured I'd need 620? (I think thats what he said) but I didnt have mine with me to know for sure what i had. If I need bigger ones I'll order them.
Thanks again for your input guys, I need all the help I can get. The realflight g4 sim I bought in that hobby shop is a real eye opener.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:16 PM
syclic

The length of blades you can strap on your heli will be limited by the length of your tail boom - you do not want your main rotor blades to get into contact with your tail rotor blades.

If you have the 30 size Airwolf, then you use the 550mm blades - if you have the 50 size Airwolf, then you can use 600 mm blades - the 620's would be a bit too much of a load for the OS46 (fine with one of the new and far more powerful OS50 Hypers, or YS50ST's).
Old 04-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Broncoflyer

Ahhh, the good info just keeps a'commin!! never even thought of a longer blade smackin the tail rotor. These blades measure 550mm from tip to the mounting bolt hole. Extending the tape measure 5 more cm's puts it right over the rotor,so I wont be doin that. I'll stick with what Ive got. Thanks again syclic, much appreciated