Notices

Helllooo?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:58 PM
lawnhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helllooo?

Nobody flies Century copters anymore? Geesh the last post was almost a month ago.

They sure have been good aircraft to me, maybe there are no posts here because they're good aircraft to everyone? Would sure like to read some updated (this year) experiences, good or bad.

Guess I'll start.

My second copter is a Hawk Pro, who made her maiden voyage this year. I don't know if I flooded it, or over-tightened the fan, but the fan all but disintegrated on the second attempt to start the engine. I found this odd since I had ran more than 20 gallons through my Hawk Sport and never broke any plastic parts, only wore them out.

So I ordered and installed Century's latest Alu-minium fan with the one-way bearing. I have never liked this procedure. I always have these horrible visions of going through all this trouble; installing the fan, re-assembling; I am always completely paranoid that the starter will spin it right off...

Well, I am quite pleased with the results. I used only blue thread lock. I started my 3rd gallon on this engine and all has held up QUITE well. The aluminum fan I now consider a must-have upgrade. Of course I had to buy the round shaft but it was well worth it.

Well that's my twitter for now. Had a great flying day here in IL today. Hope to see a little action in this forum soon.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM
rotordoc1

Default RE: Helllooo?

Maybe you should check out the Century forum on Run R yder, lots of us Century nitro flyers in there.

Also a lot of their Predator gas flyers in the Gas Heli forum on Run R yder.

As for Century electric flyers there are a lot of the Swift flyers in the R C Groups Large Electric Heli forum.

I have well over 300 starts on my Hawk Pro using the standard system - never a problem. Neither with a number of others at our field using the same system (even on thier Raven 50's).

As for your Hawk Pro, the only thing that will cause that is if the clutch came loose on the crankshaft. It will then unscrew and push the fan up into the fan shroud.

This is usually caused by being a bit loose initially (as in forgot the locktight) or from trying to start an overly flooded (rich) engine. It is exactly the same system as you had in your Hawk Sport. Actually it can be an advantage for it to come loose with an overly flooded engine, as it will have saved you from damaging the con-rod of your engine - or if you had a system that uses the one way bearing in the fan (or like some other designs that have it in the center of the clutch) you will have damaged the one-way bearing and have to replace the fan or the clutch itself.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:53 PM
lawnhawk

Default RE: Helllooo?

Yeah, I agree with you. The starter system was always flawless on my SPORT, when I got the PRO is when it seems the plastic got weaker. Of course, I also went from a 32 to a 37 so I don't know if compression is a huge difference.

At any rate, I LOVE the new setup with the aluminum fan. I recommend it to even those who don't need it (i.e. you)