RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Opening the kit!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/252518-century-hawk-sport-review-opening-kit.html)

Kirk-RCU 10-06-2002 03:58 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Opening the kit!!

Charles????

I have no idea???? I'm just HOPING they let me REVIEW it for them.

Kirk

RS2K 10-06-2002 04:38 AM

Nice review! I'm think that I should get a REALLY cheap bird and put really cheap electrical gear and my BB gyro in it as well as a really cheap engine just for the fun of it... You know the money version of - How low can ya go! CHA CHA!!

I should sell my ultra sport 60 and OS50SX and get a heli to replace it... I'm begining to get board with planes, helis are starting to rule my life. I don't even want to fly my planes any more. Too much work to walk 200 feet to my pasture to fly when I can just grab my heli and fly in the back yard! :D

Kirk-RCU 10-06-2002 12:50 PM

I agree!!! MY planes just sit there now!!! USED TO BE I would have to drive 30+ minutes to be able to fly my planes. NOW I can just pop out my heli and go in my back yard.

Kirk

syclic 10-17-2002 04:32 PM

Hawk Sport

Kirk,

Is the one-piece muffler that came with your Sport almost as large in volume as the one on your Falcon SE?

Al

Kirk-RCU 10-17-2002 04:51 PM

I seems to be a little smaller.

Kirk

Amoore 10-17-2002 07:03 PM

DO THIS!!!

Make sure,

And I mean do not skip this part!

Make sure you put JB weld on that flimsy
little lock washer star looking deal
that holds the brass sleeve on the tail rotor hub!!!!

I crashed my hawk III today because I skimped and used CA
instead.

Well, it let loose and pirouetted into the ground!!!!

All the century hawks have this thing, is there an upgrade?

syclic 10-17-2002 08:22 PM

Pitch slider

Hi Amoore,

Hmmmm....Hawk III, I would guess you have had it for a fair while before this happened as the HIV and the HSport have been around for quite awhile now.

That pitch slider assembly is the same as that used on my X-Cells. Works great when assembled as per the instructions.

The Hawk III and IV manuals I have are very clear on the subject. On page 21, step 28 it states clearly in BOLD letters and I quote:
"Note: apply some JB Weld to the outside of the lock ring to avoid the assembly loosening.)

I guess they could have also said:
Do not use and cyanoacrylate;
Do not use standard epoxy
Do not use standard Lepages white glue
etc.etc.etc,

But to list all the possible glues on the market could take a lot of extra pages in the instructions.

I guess a shorter and clearer way is as they did.....telling us what glue to use. :) :)

But don't they know that we are men.....and men do not read or heed instructions. :)

Amoore 10-18-2002 03:39 AM

Do IT!!!

Put that JB weld on the darn tail rotor lock washer like you do on
the older Hawk 3.

I speak from experience, I crashed my hawk 3 yesterday because
I forgot to put that stuff on and sure enough the tailstarted to wander. I thought it was just gyro drift, then a second later the thing locked full rudder and pirouetted into the ground!!

Oh well, guess I got an excuse to buy a Hawk Sport!!!!!

Aaron

Vance 10-18-2002 12:46 PM

Since the X-cell uses the same setup, do the instructions for the x-cell instruct you to use JB weld? Just wondering.
VD

syclic 10-21-2002 03:42 PM

I do not have my X-Cell manuals here, but if memory serves me correctly, they said to roughen the outside portion of the slider, insert the retainer ring and glue with slow zap. We soon learned that JB weld even worked better.

Amoore 10-21-2002 08:47 PM

Bearings

Hey guys,

If you get the bearing upgrade for this kit what does it include?

Does it replace the annoying bushings in all the contorl arms?

I find these to make the head fairly sloppy in these kits and time is needed to shim them out. (At least on my Hawk 3)

Thx,
Aaron

SteveP2 01-05-2003 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info

Hello Kirk

I was sent details of this thread by rcuniverse member 'ThBrtmn'. I'm a newboy on the R/C Heli 'pad', and waiting for my Hawk IV kit to arrive any day now. He thought that your thread would give me some idea as to the ease with which these kits can be built (although yours is a sport - but there are lots of similarities).

Just to say that it certainly was a great help to me! It's great that even months after you post inofrmation on this board - it can have an effect on someone that wasn't even around at the time.

Well done Kirk! :D

Steve P.

SlimShady 01-15-2003 07:59 PM

Hey Kirk,

MAN what a review!!! Loved it so much. A brilliant reason to get a hawk sport!!!

Thanks,
Andy

Lift 01-16-2003 01:46 PM

Just noticed something that I didn't see back when Kirk did this review. The canopy is not mounted correctly. Their should be no gap between the lower frame and canopy.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/attachment...&postid=327659

Here is a pic of my Falcon 50 SE V2. Different heli but same canopy:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/payton_i/...iew=t&.hires=t

CyberPilot 01-16-2003 02:28 PM

Canopy Gap

Isn't that necessary to keep the canopy away from the muffler? I've heard that if it's any closer the muffler will melt the canopy.

Is there any harm in mounting it with a small gap?

I only mention this and ask because I'm building one myself.

Thanks,
C.P.

Lift 01-16-2003 05:40 PM

CyberPilot,
You can mount it hover you like. Personally I think my mounting looks proper.

I did have to trim my canopy to accomodate TT .50 muffler that I am running but that is expected with helis. Nothing against Kirk or his building experience here but that canopy clearly looks like it is mounted crooked. Look at it relative to the boom and the overall heli apperance. It screams "Help, I'm crooked!" :)

I hear this all the time but trimming a to make it fit properly is the way it's done. Do it and you will be pleased with the final results.

HeliFever 03-06-2003 01:44 AM

did the kit you got come with all of the things you need to fly and if so could you give me the url or where you baught it?

HeliFever 03-06-2003 01:50 AM

And im talking about the hawk sport.....

Lift 03-06-2003 03:15 PM

Helifever,
You can purchase a Hawk Sport from www.heli-world.com and you can read up about the kit specs at the manufactuerers site www.CenturyHeli.com.

They have beginner packages with radio, kit, gyro, and engine available. But, if you want to do it right I recommend:
Kit
Engine - OS .32 SX-H or TT .39
Muffler - included in kit.(it's good for beginning but the Speed Torpedo is a nice upgrade)
Gyro - GY401 w/9253
Radio System - JR8103 or Futaba 9C(minimum is the Airtronics RD 6000)

HeliFever 03-07-2003 12:25 AM

thanks Lift :)

Does anyone know if there is a video of the hawk sport? and where?

syclic 03-07-2003 08:00 PM

Tail rotor slider

Also of note is the current version of the Century helicopters do not require the JB Weld on the slider. They have a groove machined into the sleeve which the E-clip snaps into.

Galifrey 03-07-2003 11:29 PM

Yeah I noticed that...

Was gonna epoxy it, and then saw the groove...

sturdy as it needs to be and no risk of epoxy contamination

:D