RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Opening the kit!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/252518-century-hawk-sport-review-opening-kit.html)

Kirk-RCU 09-01-2002 07:41 PM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Opening the kit!!

1 Attachment(s)
Well I did a review a while back on the Century Falcon. I love this ship!!! And I loved it so much, I decided to get another helicopter.

When I heard about the Hawk Sport, I was so excited that they were going to come out with a VERY INEXPENSIVE helicopter designed for beginners.

There are several people at my flying field that are interested in getting into helicopters, but that OLD LEGEND still keeps them from getting into this WONDERFUL sport.

That of course is that, "....it's sooooo expensive!!"

WELL as I said, I was excited!! $159 and you have a kit that can not only teach you to hover, but it can get you into 3D also!!!

CAN YOU IMAGINE??? $159???!!!! I got the bearing upgrade kit for another $20 also.

I FULLY EXPECTED when I opened the box to see bags of parts. But to my surprise!!! this ship is practically built!! I can't wait to get started and see how she flies!!

I'll be posting some images as I go along, but for now, here is what it looks like straight out the box.

Any questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Cougar-RCU 09-01-2002 09:01 PM

Kirk

Mine will be here on Tuesday! :D
Keep Us Informed!
Hey , What is the part number for the upgrade
bearings? where will they go?
Thanks!
Jeff

Kirk-RCU 09-01-2002 09:42 PM

Hello Jeff:

Part no. cnbb1001

It's for the Bell Mixer Arm, the Seesaw Shaft, the Washout arms, and the Roll Cyclic Bellcrank.

I think it's well worth the $20!!

Kirk

Kirk-RCU 09-02-2002 01:25 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Getting Started.

1 Attachment(s)
On the outside of the box, it clearly says, "Easy to Build in 3 Hours"!!

Well I've got about 1 hour into it. And they are right, it is EASY to build!!!

The first page of the instructions, (which by the way, you can read about here: Century Hawk Instructions Page 1 ) were very easy to understand.

The kit is broken down into 4 basic sections at this point (see photo):

The section in RED (which I haven't completed yet, it just looked cool for me to stick it up there).

The Upper Frame in Blue.

The Lower Frame in Yellow.

And the Servo trays in Green.

The first thing that needed to be done was installing the engine onto the lower frame (Yellow). This was a snap!! And super easy and all of the screws and parts were packaged together.

Same with attaching the upper frame (Blue) to the lower frame. I was especially impress with how they meshed together so perfectly and how tight it all fit together.

Finally attaching the Servo tray (GREEN) to the upper and lower frames. IT's all so simple and basic!! PERFECT for the guy who flies airplanes but who want's to give this wonderful sport a try.

Any Questions?

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-02-2002 01:36 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Bearing Upgrade

1 Attachment(s)
The next thing I did was the Bearing Upgrade (Part No. CNBB1001 $22.95).

I've gotten a few emails already about this upgrade and IF I were you, I would just order it when I order the Kit!!

IT's well worth the upgrade price for these 14 extra bearings.

The Yellow Arrow marks the 4 bearing in the 2 Bell Mixer Arms. YOU really want this area as smooth as possible and the bearing do just that.

Next the Green Arrow marks the 2 bearings that support the seesaw shaft. Again another high movement part.

The Blue Arrow marks the 4 bearings in the 2 washout arms.

And the Red Arrow marks the 4 bearing in the 2 roll cyclic bell cranks.

It wasn't hard to do this bearing upgrade. Some of the oilite bushing and flat washers were a little determined to NOT be replaced, but then again that's what they make hammers far :D !!

Any Questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-02-2002 01:40 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Swash Plate

1 Attachment(s)
Someone sent me an email asking about the "QUALITY" of the parts. Well notice this image of the Swash Plate. YOU can see that the top half is made of metal and the lower half is made of plastic.

But keep in mind that this is a $159 kit. Frankly I'm impressed with the quality!!!

Any questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-02-2002 01:46 AM

Centruy Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Gears

1 Attachment(s)
Another thing that impressed me so far is that gears. I'm a HUGE fan of the gears system on the Hawks and the Falcon.

I'm so glad that they kept this gear system on this new sport.

I have found that with the Falcon it produces a very steady, rock solid ship!! I'm sure it will be the same with the Hawk Sport.

Any Questions?

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-02-2002 01:53 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Engine and Cooling Shroud

1 Attachment(s)
Another very nice feature is the COOLING Shroud. HOW many times have I heard people complain that there engines are running hot because there cooling shroud did not come down far enough.

WELL that is not going to be said about the New Hawk Sport.

As you can see (see photo), the shroud completely covers the heat sink!! And I thing it will be an excellent, and efficient cooling system.

Any Questions?

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-02-2002 01:57 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Starter Shaft

1 Attachment(s)
Another feature of the Sport that I like is the starter shaft. I love the way it disengages from the engine. This reduces stress on the engine and vibration.

YET another GREAT FEATURE!!

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Cougar-RCU 09-02-2002 10:08 AM

Kirk

Kirk, Outstanding Job! KEEP GOING! ;)

KIRK KIRK KIRK KIRK KIRK KIRK !

I love your work!

Jeff

BLADE3D 09-02-2002 04:58 PM

Does it come with a 10mm mail shaft ???

Rupe

Kirk-RCU 09-02-2002 06:44 PM

Rupe:

YES 10mm.

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

LSP972 09-02-2002 10:17 PM

Is that a plastic clutch bell I see? How about the clutch itself?

Steve

syclic 09-02-2002 11:47 PM

review & Clutch & comments

Kirk,

What can I say .. another job being done to your high standards of excellance.

Quality:

Swashplate, as you said Kirk the swashplate is like that on your Freya.... or on other quality helis such as the Hirobo Sceados, Shuttle ZXX, JR Ergos, Ventures etc., Kalt Baron 30's etc., but with no slop like in less quality units supplied with some other brands I have owned. This is the same one that has been used on the Hawk III in 8mm form and Hawk IV in 10mm form. There are a good number of these flying locally and some are now very high time.....still showing almost no wear!!! They last longer and are tighter then some metal upgrade ones I purchased for some of my other brands!!! A very good quality swashplate indeed.

Thrust bearings - Don't have to take the head apart, there are no thrust bearings in it. Just like there are no thrust bearings is other quality helis - JR Venture and Ergo 30 and Hirobo Shuttle. Unfortunately these quality kits cost a lot more :) For head speeds up to 1800 on 550mm blades that weigh up to 115 grams they are really not necessary.

Steve Canbell
FRP (fiberglass reinforced clutch bell) - This is the same clutch bell that has been in use on the Hawk III and IV. Again works a treat. These helis have never had any clutch "issues". and there is a good number of high time units in these parts (including one of mine - over 7 cases of fuel through it!!). The clutch itself is a dual bearing supported steel unit. You can get a good idea of its' configuration by checking out the Hawk IV owners manual on the Century site www.centuryheli.com. No alignment or run-out issues to contend with.

By far my favorite system.

Kirk-RCU 09-03-2002 07:01 PM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- The Head

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to post this close up of the head earlier, but I forgot. IF you will notice, it is the same style head as the Falcon!!

Which is (they tell me) the same style head as the XCELL!!

So far everything feels tight and a very well fit.

The only thing I can say bad (which is probably good for most of ya'll) is that it's going together MUCH too fast!!

I kinda enjoy the tinkering. OH WELL, more time for flying!! :D

Any questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-03-2002 08:36 PM

Centruy Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- The Pipe.

1 Attachment(s)
By special request, someone asked me to do a close up of the pipe that is included with this kit.

Well here it is. From my stand point, I know some who have almost paid more for just a pipe than the cost of this whole kit. :D

Any questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-03-2002 08:39 PM

Centruy Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Another View of the Head.

1 Attachment(s)
Also, before I continue, here is another view from the top of the head.

Any Questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-03-2002 08:52 PM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Tail Rotor.

1 Attachment(s)
The Tail Rotor assembly was also super easy. BEING it was all put together for me.

All you had to do was unscrew the 2 halves, slide on the tale boom, screw down the drive wire, and attache the 2 halves back together.

Took maybe 5 minutes. SUPER EASY.

By the way, the boom came pre-assembled with the servo wire, wire guides, and drive wire all together.

The instruction did not tell me to do this, but I know from previous experience to do it.

I took out the drive wire and greased it down good before I attached it to the tail rotor assembly. I suggest you do the same.

Finally, some have made quite a few comments about the Century Tail problems. YOU can see in this photo that they have NOT changed the tail. I personally have not experienced ANY of the problems some have experienced.

But the problem comes in when you dial in too much throws in the movement of the tail rotor. When the forks are moved all the way to the left, they can come into contact with the housing and cause the whole thing to explode in mid air. NASTY SITE!!!

So when you are putting yours together, makes sure you do not dial in too much throws, esp. in the direction where the forks move to the left.

Any questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Cougar-RCU 09-03-2002 08:56 PM

tail roter

Kirk. Do we do the same thing on the Hawk
Like we do to the Falcon, With the J/B Weld ?
on the roter ?
thanks
Jeff

Kirk-RCU 09-03-2002 09:11 PM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- More Tail Rotor.

1 Attachment(s)
Cougar:

That probably would not be a bad idea, but the instructions do not say anything about it???

It could be because the Sport is powered by a 30 size and the Falcon is powered by a 50 size engine.

Thus, more stress, more potential problems.

But YOU are correct, and I'm glad you brought it up. I'm going do it right now to mine!!

What we are talking about is to put some JB Weld on the spot where the Red Arrow is, with out getting it on the area where the Green Arrow is.

This will prevent that CLIP from coming off in mid air.

Any Questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

ckevin 09-04-2002 01:44 PM

Kirk,

Are you using a heading lock or conventional gyro on your ship? I believe you can limit the servo travel with ATV with a conventional gyro, but there is no way to limit the travel with a heading hold one since travel limit is used to set the piro rate with a heading hold gyro. I'm prettry sure that you will have a tail binding with a heading hold gyro when you try to give it a full rudder stick.

Kevin

Kirk-RCU 09-04-2002 01:53 PM

Keven:

NOT with the Futaba 401 Gyro. It has a range setting.

Kirk

ckevin 09-04-2002 06:26 PM

Well, great to own a good gyro like a 401! I tried to install a tele-bee on it, but it didn't work out. But you could have faster piro rate if you had more servo travel.

Kevin

syclic 09-05-2002 12:09 AM

HH Gyros

Kevin,

You can limit the travel on a telebee also - just by changing the effective length of your servo arm.

Albert

ifly-RCU 09-05-2002 01:30 AM

CHEAP CHOPPERZ!!!

hey, it takes that pucker affect away from crashing when its a max cost of $160

i have a blast with that, and do crazy, sim only stuff

aw crap, whatch gawn and dun that for?, now i need a new
chopper!

cpierre82 09-05-2002 05:44 PM

$160.00

I CANT WAIT TILL I GET MY ON MONDAY. :)

CHARLES

syclic 09-06-2002 08:38 PM

Kirk, Jason is reporting on the Centuy forum in RunRyder that he just finished his and it took him a total of just 2 1/2 hours to build. I noticed they advertise on the box a 3 hour assembly time. What would you say it took you?

Kirk-RCU 09-06-2002 08:52 PM

About that??? Maybe 3 hours because I was updating my web site at the time and I kept going from computer to helicopter.

I've got more images to post, just been too busy to do it.

I'll try to do it by tomorrow.

Kirk

Kirk-RCU 09-07-2002 02:00 AM

Centruy Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Completed Tail

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry I have not finished posting the images??? MY personal web site went through some growing pains and I have not had the time to get back here and finish the review!!!

OK here is a shot of the finished tail.

The Sports TAIL looks very much like the Falcons TAIL, just smaller.

Any QUESTIONS???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-07-2002 02:09 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Close up of the head.

1 Attachment(s)
I would like to remind everyone one, ONE MORE time that this is marketed and designed for the BEGINNER. So if you plan to fly it hard, go get a Fury, THEY are designed to be flown HARD.

A a beginner style heli, I cannot be more impressed. LOOK at the style of this head.

MY beginner heli was the NEXUS!! And when you would put your fingers on the SWASH, it would rock back and forth and turn. This thing is rock solid!! NOT QUITE as solid as the Falcon, but again. VERY, VERY nice!!

I also would like to add, I love the XCELL style head, very nice and responsive. JUST can't say enough POSITIVE about it.

Any Questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-07-2002 02:14 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Another View of the Head.

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another view of the head, from underneath.

NOTICE the arms for the fly bar. For me, I would like to have seen this to be a little more stable. I have not flown it yet (MEGA RAIN down here). But I'm assuming it will not be an issue.

IF it is, there are several after market things that could be tried. IT seemed a little "PLASTIC" to me. But then again, I could be wrong.

So far, this is the only thing that I have come across that did not seem perfect!!

Any questions??

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-07-2002 02:19 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Servo Set up.

1 Attachment(s)
The servo set up was very basic. I just did exactly what they told me to do and I get perfect throws.

I decided to mount the Tail Servo where Century had provided a spot. BEING most beginners will probably not know about a tail mounted servo till later.

I want to see how it flys, when built to FACTORY recommendations.

Any questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-07-2002 02:22 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- More servos

1 Attachment(s)
I know these ain't the best servos, but again (how many time am I going to say this?) I'm setting it up the way a beginner would set it up.

YOU can always upgrade later.

Any Questions?

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-07-2002 02:26 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Finished Kit NO CANOPY.

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm done. Here a front on shot without the canopy.

Took me about 2.5 to 3 hours to complete. JUST like the instructions said. IT is very light, and very tight!

I hope to fly it this weekend. IF I do, I'll have some images.

Any Questions??

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

Kirk-RCU 09-07-2002 02:31 AM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- Finished Kit!!

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm done. I plan to do some "low key" photos later next week.

By the way, the stickers for this kit seem to be of the HIGHEST quality. I like them.

Some have asked what the canopy is made of? Well it is exactly the same as the Falcon Canopy. Soft Plastic.

Any Questions?

Yours,

Kirk Voclain

LSP972 09-07-2002 12:22 PM

The balls appear to have a recessed hex area for a 1.5mm allen driver, a'la X-Cell.

Correct? If so, that's a VERY nice touch. Most Asian ships feature those communist #00 Phillips head screws, which are tough on old eyes and fingers.

Steve

Kirk-RCU 09-07-2002 12:40 PM

Correct!!

Kirk

Cougar-RCU 09-07-2002 01:45 PM

Kirk

Great Job!
Thanks! :D
Jeff

Kirk-RCU 09-07-2002 11:32 PM

Century Hawk Sport -- REVIEW -- The Portrait.

There's this tradition at my club. NOTHING get's photographed till you fly it. IF not, you will wreck it.

So I've avoided taking this image till I flew it for a little while in my back yard.

First IT flys great, but BE CAREFUL!! I has some of the screws come loose that operates the collective. THEY look like they had lock tight on them, but something I did not do was check all my nuts and bolts for tightness.

SO GO AND CHECK BEFORE YOU FLY!!

I did not wreck it, I caught the problem before it became one.

ONCE I got it tracked and trimmed, I was able to do a HAND OFF for a count of 5 before I was forced to take control.

NOT BAD for a $160 ship.

Enjoy, I hope to have some flying pics soon.

Any Questions???

Yours,

Kirk Voclain
http://www.pro4um.com/heli/sport019.jpg

syclic 09-09-2002 04:13 PM

Wow, that is a great picture at the end !!!
Well done.