RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   Tell me about the Century Hawk Pro! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/3265605-tell-me-about-century-hawk-pro.html)

albajet_5256H 08-15-2005 04:07 PM

Tell me about the Century Hawk Pro!

Hi guys, I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a .30 size heli after a few years in fixed-wing RC. After my first summer job left me with an extra $650 (and the clearance for my mother to "waste my money on a wirly-bird") I decided I needed to look for a good deal on a heli. So far I've been recommended a Century Hawk Sport by someone who used to own a Kyosho Nexus .30 and found the Hawk to be much less tempermental, but now the "pro" version is only in production. I'd like to hear your thought on this bird, maybe some pics. if you have them. I thank you ahead of time for any advice you give on setup, etc. I plan to equip it with a O.S. 37. with a torpedo pipe and a gy401 for the gyro. I think the Raptor 30 is great, but I like the Hawk Pro's "style" better! -feedback please!

syclic 08-17-2005 10:14 PM

RE: Tell me about the Century Hawk Pro!

You will love it. It has a better head then the Rappy (no flutter), a more solid trouble free clutch system and much better tail drive system....and at a much lower price!

bigbri 08-18-2005 10:31 PM

Great beginner bird. Great price...go for it

rcsoar4fun 09-03-2005 05:03 PM

Can't beat it. I have a Sport with a few upgrades like the tube drive. Fantastic machine, taught me to fly helis and now moved me into acrobatics.

Kristopher

NIpilot 09-10-2005 11:55 AM

The Hawk Pro is really a good flying helicopter. And I won't even say, "for the money". It would be still good if it cost $299.00. I have had NO issues with this bird and I just finished off my 6th gallon of fuel. Only thing I changed was swash guide, and red (hard) dampers and glass blades. Of the three the blades were the best return on investment. So much lighter then the woodies that the hard dampers might not even be needed. Just lots less mass. With woodies, your really going to want the hard dampers if your doing anything in forward flight. I Know you said your just starting but its good to remember these things for down the road when you get into acro and foward flight. When I first built or assembled as the case may be, I completely checked over the preassemebled parts. Especially the torque tube attachment to the in, output shafts. Everything was in order but I relocktighted them anyways and never an issue from day one. My honest opinion of this thing is I can do anything with it I could do with a kick butt 60-90 sized heli. Its very stable and yet quick on the cyclic. If I had to describe the whole heli in only one word it would be SMOOTH! I'm getting ready to get a Raven with a Hyper 50 and I think I'll be in hogs heaven. I believe that having learned and flown for years on 60-70 sized machines thats a pretty good testament to how I feel about this thing. I can fly my pro 12 flights on a gallon. My OS 70 powered heli gets 5 flights to a gallon. Since I've been through 8 cases of fuel this year with my planks and helis it does add up. If you can have just as much fun and get over twice the flying time why not? Power to weight ratio is better then my 70 sized machine. I hate to use names cause everyone thinks your bad mouthing their heli. Flying and comparing is believing though. Buy it, fly it, break it, fix it and have a blast.

DMehalko 09-18-2005 01:26 AM

ORIGINAL: syclic

You will love it. It has a better head then the Rappy (no flutter), a more solid trouble free clutch system and much better tail drive system....and at a much lower price!
Hmmm... My rappy head is great, not a bit of flutter, and i throw the thing around pretty hard.

HyperRaptor[sm=thumbup.gif]

But actually im getting a hawk sport to set up as a night flyer[8D]

Sad Panda EH 10-04-2005 02:01 PM

i feel [:@] like an idiot but does the nitro in my hawk pro flammable?

syclic 10-05-2005 11:27 AM

Yep, otherwise it could not burn inside the engine's cylinder and devlope power. But it must be compressed (this is what the rising piston does) to a specific pressure/temperature and ionized with a certain mixture of air (this is what the carburator does) in order to be so.

Of course if you hold a match to your fuel it may ignite. But there are many things in our households that are so.

0_CoooL 11-26-2005 03:35 AM

I am also thinking of buying a Hawk Pro, I am only wondering after having a JR Ergo .30 which seemed to be a very well designed Heli, Does the Hawk come with a Alum Frame? I cannot find anything much that gives details on what you get! If anyone knows or even has a couple of photos please share them!

[:-]

deadstickpilot 02-26-2006 07:37 PM

i was thinking of buying 1 too. im gonna get the combo off tower. $689.99 for a complete pacage. and how hard r they to set up? i looked at the manual and i was shocked at how complicated ti looks.

deadstickpilot

ccarr79 02-27-2006 06:41 PM

I just purchased, assembled and had a local expert look over and then fly my Hawk Pro. He was so impressed with the response that he said he will probably purchase one to train his students. I found assembly extremely easy. The manual has pictures in it that are hard to decipher because thier black and white, but if you read carefully and and follow the directions and have an expert do the last preperations you will have an astounding bird that will allow you to grow into 3D. I couldnt believe my eyes when I watched him take it off. It only took two landings for adjustments for it to hover with little stick correction. Love this bird! Will post pictures of the custom painted canopy and fins that were dipped for a day in primer and glossed after painting. Sometimes when you know the right people you can get proffesional looks for the cost of, Nothing.

BLUERACER 03-01-2006 02:28 AM

in the directions for the hawk pro, on the throtlle assembly is says to remove the stock leaver and replace with the one they provided except it does not fit, the cap head screw goes right threw it[img][/img]

BarracudaHockey 03-01-2006 09:42 AM

Flutter in a Raptor is old news, that was the V1 heads.

syclic 03-01-2006 12:00 PM

Baracudahockey,

Unfortunately I beg to disagree. I did a search on www.run ryder.com (due to the policy of not allowing referals to other sites, you will have to type in ommiting the space between run & ryder), a forum that is dedicated to helicopters only and found a number like this one.

http://run ryder.com/helicopter/t239101p1/

BIGUGLYSTICK 03-03-2006 09:32 PM

I have flown planes for over 12 years and never touched a heli till last spring. I started out with a raptor .30 v2 and loved it. I just got the hawk pro from tower last week and I was blown away!!!!!!! Its incredibly smooth and very simple to build and set up. This is the gear I'm currently running in mine.

Hawk pro
.32 sx-h / hatori pipe
Futaba 6 EXH with 3151 digitals
Futaba 401/9252
Heli-max 550 carbon mains

I barely have over $500 in this new bird and its money well spent. Dont hesitate in getting one for yourself. Enjoy!

cubanaso 03-06-2006 08:34 PM

:Dhello :

i have one and i love it ,my wife too.

eddr50 03-24-2006 05:17 PM

I want to get a Hawk pro if i could get some he help..anyone close to Pineville Ky? I heard they are a good heli

eddr50 03-24-2006 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: eddr50

I want to get a Hawk pro if i could get some he help..anyone close to Pineville Ky? I heard they are a good heli
excuse my spelling

madmcphil 04-12-2006 01:09 PM

simple as this... flown a raptor and hated it compared to my hawk pro. Its worth every penny!

bkpilot 04-16-2006 08:37 PM

How does a hawk compares to a Sceadu EVO??

30!

0_CoooL 07-20-2006 06:21 PM

Well today I just got the Hawk Pro from the Brown UPS Truck, It is very nice for a 200.00 Heli,

Two Thumbs Up :D

lawnhawk 07-21-2006 11:19 AM

I am happy to finally see a thread like this. I am still on my older Hawk Sport, but it's got lots of miles on it and I'm liking the looks of the Pro.

Anybody know if the Pro will bolt right up with the Funkey scale fuses that Century sells? Their site does not say if the scale kits now use the Pro mechanics or not.

I am most happy with Century stuff too by the way [sm=thumbup.gif]

BarracudaHockey 07-21-2006 01:05 PM

Cyclic any head can flutter if there's a problem. There are a number of causes of blade woof but all of them can be fixed. Slop in the head, blades with an aft cg, bent spindles not replaced after crashes, bent screws etc but the Raptor isn't alone in that regard.

Bkpilot, about like a hundai does to a Lexus.

syclic 07-24-2006 10:34 PM

BKpilot,

They are both worthy helis. But I prefer the Hawk Pro to the Sceado 30 because:
1- IMHO, it has a better head, a mini version of the MinAir X-cell/Fury head - a bulletproof design.
2- The Start shaft support bearings in the Hawk seem to last forever (that is because the start shaft stops turning completely after the engine starts)
3 - The clutch bell support bearings and the clutches them selves in the Hawk last a lot longer because they also stop turning after the clutc engages.
4 - Unlike the Sceado, no type of alignment is needed between the Hawks clutch and bell, makes it dead simple to install.
5 - I like the oilite sliders in the Washout hub of the Hawk
6 - I prefer the torque tube shaft drive of the Hawk Pro
7 - I prefer the stacked frame design on the Hawk Pro with the relatively indestructable top frame.
8 - I prefer the lighter weight of the Hawk Pro
And all of these advantages for $70.00 less - leaves me move into a better gyro or servos.

0_CoooL 07-25-2006 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of my new Hawk Pro! I am trying to decide which paint to use.

Upgrades so far include:
Anti-Rotation Bracket
Die-Cut Header 2oz Tank

Expect Much, Much More to come!