RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   removing pins from tail gears (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/4885560-removing-pins-tail-gears.html)

savage 40 10-18-2006 07:25 PM

removing pins from tail gears

what's the easiest way?

syclic 10-19-2006 01:41 PM

RE: removing pins from tail gears

Go to the Century site and then to the customer support area. There you will find most of the manuals for the different helis. Click on the Hawk SPORT manual and go to page 19 (Landing gear and Tail output shaft assembly). There on step 27 you will find a nice blow up of the shaft and gear. You will note there is an M3 x 4 Set screw that goes into the end of the shaft (locktited) to secure the pin. If this is not removed then you will not be able to push the pin out. If it is removed the pin should push out very easily. NOTE: When installing the new gear. Be sure to apply locktite to the set screw and screw it in far enough to come up against the pin and secure the pin properly.

The diagram in the instructions are pretty self-explanatory.

lottomunch 08-23-2007 10:30 PM

Ok. finally getting around to "upgrading" my hawk from the poor old .32 and moving up to the torque tube and a futaba 9254 I'm ready to start testing my backwards flight and inverted backwards flight I've been practicing on the sim.....

so I'm reading everything I can about the torque tube and read somewhere that there should be a set screw holding the tail gear set locked onto the pin. Well I look down the end of the gear and sure enough there are threads, there is a shaft, and there is no set screw. Now I checked it with the set screw from the torque tube collar and they are the exact same. If I can find a setscrew that works I'll be ok but man.....that's kinda scary.

So now comes the male end with the dogbone. One article mentions it seperating from the torque tube. Do I need to worry about this? anything I can do?

I've searched the forums and didn't see any mentions of this so maybe its just an isolated problem.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Daniel

syclic 08-24-2007 01:31 PM

You mention that you are upgrading your Hawk to a torque tube drive system, you must have one of te older hawks (e.g. Sport or IV) as the current Hawk Pro (last 2 years or so) comes with a torque tube drive system.

As for the tail gear, insert a 1.5mm hex driver into the threaded end, to be sure there is not already a grub screw in there for securing the pin. These grub screws go in quite deep and are not easily seen by the naked eye. If one is not there, it is the common M3 x 6 grub screw that is used in many areas of assembly of the Hawk and most other helis on the market.

As for the dog-bone coming loose, that must have been an isolated case, as there are a lot of these helis at our field that have logged literally thousands of flights and I have never heard of it happening.

lottomunch 08-24-2007 08:39 PM

Thanks for the response Syclic,

Yes. My hawk sport is a few years old. It has served me very very well and thats why its being upgraded. The sucker taught me how to do inverted hovering, inverted forward flight and right side up backwards flight. all on an OS .32, wood blades, and a crapy tail servo.

The upgrade is gonna be a new 9254 servo, an OS .37, stiff dampners, the torque tube, cheap carbon blades, and an antirotation bracket. with the green TT paddles the little guy should be a real monster.

Cool deal on the dog bone. I'm not too worried......and, there was no grub screw in there (yes it sure is deep) but I had a spare so we're all set.

Thanks again.

Daniel