RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   Can somebody tell me what happened to my hawk. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/5818334-can-somebody-tell-me-what-happened-my-hawk.html)

Cambo 05-06-2007 01:10 PM

Can somebody tell me what happened to my hawk.

1 Attachment(s)
I don't get it, i was flying around normally. I jammed the throttle to fly up and do an auto and URRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. The engine unloads, i go to hit throttle old and SMACK the boom flies off and the heli hits the ground. I only have 10 fligths on it but really need to know what happened. I might contact century about a waranty thing. I would think ir should last longer than 10 flights. Non the less, after a closer inspection i noticed that when i turned the gear that the engine is attached to it doesn't turn the main gear. Looking even closer i noticed that there wasn't even a gear attaching the two [X(]. It is just not there. I wonder if this gear came off and wedged itself between the main gear and the case, causing it to imidiatley stop the main rotor, causing the blade to hit the boom, and ect. ect.

damage so far
blades are totalled (thank god I wasn't running tha carbons i almost baught)
One gear is broken
Boom destroyed
One side of gear box is broken
CF pushrod to tail is cracked
Feather shaft is bent
flybar is bent
main gear is shredded on the under side
torque tube is destroyed

HAAAAAAAAA

Cambo 05-06-2007 02:29 PM

RE: Can somebody tell me what happened to my hawk.

I have contacted century, i will see what happens. It appears that the gear and it shaft came completely off.

Cambo 05-06-2007 05:09 PM

I found my answer, went back to the field and found the 13t pinion shaft broke in half

TIA 05-06-2007 10:45 PM

I guess that could happen on any heli....

trab1925 07-21-2007 08:34 PM

Well because it sounds like what I'm thinking of here is a better place to ask I guess. I'm new to nitros and I have wondered something about the clutch. I know it's a configural clutch so I know it kicks in at certain RPM. But I've seen those awesome heli drag races. I can hear their engine at a really high RPM before it takes off when they lean forward. Do they have special clutches or can you control that? It seams like there clutch should be kicking in sooner wouldn't it? Obviously the drag racing isn't the only place I've seen it. I just want to know how is that done?

lottomunch 07-23-2007 01:44 PM

in the drag races the clutch is fully enagaged. The blades are spinnin at or very near top speed. Only thing that changes when someone yells go is the pitch goes from .5 degrees to over 10 degrees and the throttle servo fully opens up the carb.

If you were to try and apply a clutch to that scenario I'd say its in the blades. While the blades are at zero degrees pitch the "clutch" is dissengaged. When you bang 12 degrees you engage the "clutch". you might hate my analogy......my wife always hates them. :)