RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   Predator V2 gasser standard VS Condor (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/9426264-predator-v2-gasser-standard-vs-condor.html)

keet 01-18-2010 11:44 AM

Predator V2 gasser standard VS Condor

I'm interested in getting a Predator for AP work. It's a no-brainer that the Condor would be the most suitable heli for the job(more stable in wind?). Looking at the differance between the two, the Condor has a length of 11cm, height of 2mm, and tail diameter 2mm greater than the standard, and whips a larger main blade. Is this slight differance going to make a big impact on my AP work? Couldn't I put on the larger main rotors on the standard(for lifting purposes)? How does this slight differance determine a heli that can do 3D(standard) and not(Condor). I'm just thinking if the AP doesn't pan out, would I be stuck with a heli(Condor) thats only good for that?

Does the 231cc really run smoother than the 26cc? Or have they fixed that issue with the V2's ?

Cheers,
Keith

rotordoc1 01-18-2010 02:11 PM

RE: Predator V2 gasser standard VS Condor

The larger disc will just allow you to have a lighter disc loading when carrying the extra weight of your camera equipment.

The heavier disc loading of the smaller rotor may even help in some wind conditions.

How the heli is set-up is far more important to its relative stability in any winds then how large its rotor disc is. By that, I mean that the standard Perdator, when properly set-up for stable hovering with 720mm FAI type of blades, can be easier to keep steady in a wind then the Condor, with 800+ blades, that is not set-up properly for stable hoverings and slow maneuvering.

But if one has both set-up to be optimised for such flying, generally speaking, the larger bladed unit will be a bit better in most winds.

What experience do you have hovering high up, while looking at the bottom of the heli??? This is also of great importance for AP work.

Why you cannot use the 800+ blades on the standard Predator gasser is because the boom is not long enough to insure adequate clearance between the mainblades and the tail blades, and the gearing is different. Just as a truck and a car may use the same engine, they will be geared very differently for their respective driving intention.

Sorry, I forgot about the engine question: Yes the G231 is smoother then the 260 simply because it has less energy in the piston movement to dissipate. But the modified Hanson version of the 260 is pretty smooth.

Of course with both, the bigger issue for smooth running of the heli, is proper engine tuning, proper setting of the fan/clutch run-out, the proper alignment of the clutch into the clutch bell etc. during the assembly.

keet 01-18-2010 07:48 PM

Is the Condor capable of 3D ?

rotordoc1 01-18-2010 08:11 PM

Yes, Billme and a few others over on the RunRyder Century and Gasser forums, have been doing so with the Condor for years.

Of note, is that all you need to fly 3D is a heli that can be set with a linear -9/0/-9 (or similar) collective pitch curve and to be set with 6 degrees or so of cyclic. Also of import, is to have gearing that will allow the tail rotor to generate the yaw forces required. One must also be able to set the collective pitch, syclic pitch and throttle relationship to turn the rotor at least at a constant 1600 plus RPM to insure adequate cyclic response is a must, unless you are good enough to do it all in relatively slow motion.

Most any modern heli can be so set-up. The difference will be in how extreme can the 3D flight be.

Generally, the shorter the blade harnessed to the same power, the more "pop" can be dialed in. So the standard Predator is a better 3D platform.