RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   century RTF questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/9533231-century-rtf-questions.html)

John_jrp3 02-24-2010 09:29 PM

century RTF questions

I just picked one of these up used and havnt had it out yet. as ive read the stock servos basically are crap. I basically have no knowledge of servos this size and would like some advice on what would be good to get and not be super pricey as im learning and guarantee to break stuff.

In the future i was wanting to get a nitro and looked at the walkera #83 which has a nice RX the wk-2801 so i figured i could get a TX to go along with it as the yare fairly cheap (35-40 bucks).

i just messed with it inside and i noticed the servos twitched a few time when the tx was just sitting on the table. no idea why this is. and they almost are not strong enough to go back to stock positions on the swash . maybe this wont be when its turning but who knows. i just dont want to take this thing out and crash because of a crap servo or something..

also i have a Hitec HS-422 that i got with some spares for my t-maxx will this work for anything? i tested it and it works perfectly. thanks<br type="_moz" />

rotordoc1 02-25-2010 12:32 AM

RE: century RTF questions

You might find this thread useful:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83...tm.htm#8798092

I agree the heli. esc and motor are top class - In my opinion the radio gear is the weak link. The servos are the weakest link, followed by the transmitter and receiver (not compatible with anything else either), The gyro will get you buy for initial training but should be switched for something better as soon as you have the funds.

I love my Swift 16s, but neither of them were the RTF version. They were purchased as combos with motor and esc only, without electronics. Then I added good Futaba radio gear and a better Futaba gyro. They have both been great, with hundreds of flights now on each.

I think there is a test review here somewhere on RCU on the heli, motor and ESC.

John_jrp3 02-26-2010 05:40 PM

yeah i found that one b4 i made this, not much info in it. i just need some help deciding on what servos to get. and a decent rx/tx

i had a dynam gy48v gyro which i got off xheli and it actually worked good on my old honey bee king 2 was thinkin on gettin that. i just need something that will get me started to a point where im getting better i will spend the money on good stuff.<br type="_moz" />

rotordoc1 02-26-2010 08:41 PM

A friend had good success with the futaba S3001's. They are not as good as the S3151's in one of mine, but still do an OK job.

John_jrp3 02-26-2010 08:49 PM

ok thanks. i found the s3001 for 15 bucks and the s3151 for 30 bucks. this heli isnt digital atm but i think i just purchased a dx6i and ar6100 so this should work perfect. now for a good gyro.

what about the cyclic servos will these work for them also?

i got this hs-422 hitec is it worth using on anything?<br type="_moz" />

catkiller 05-27-2010 12:21 AM

I bought one wish I had boght a kit now ,gyro burnt up ,could not seem to get it to fly ,changed the gyro radio rx all the servos and upgraded with a metal hub for the head,now it flys like it suppose to if you already bought the rtf I suggest you make the same upgrades and you will be happy,btw the plastic hub came apart with me and part of the rotor hit my hand hard enogh to bruise and I was a good fifty feet when the rotor gave way the copter just fell away from the rotor and for a split second it looked like the enterprise when the saucer section seperates

John_jrp3 05-27-2010 05:14 AM

ORIGINAL: catkiller

I bought one wish I had boght a kit now ,gyro burnt up ,could not seem to get it to fly ,changed the gyro radio rx all the servos and upgraded with a metal hub for the head,now it flys like it suppose to if you already bought the rtf I suggest you make the same upgrades and you will be happy,btw the plastic hub came apart with me and part of the rotor hit my hand hard enogh to bruise and I was a good fifty feet when the rotor gave way the copter just fell away from the rotor and for a split second it looked like the enterprise when the saucer section seperates
exactly...... i replaced all the electrics and went from their. no issues with the head tho and ive had it pretty high and far away.

rotordoc1 05-27-2010 11:19 AM

As I said earlier, I found the heli itself along with the motor and esc supplied with the RTF to be very good, the weak link is the servos, radio and gyro (in that order from weakest to less weak). IMHO, they are an insult to the heli/motor/esc.

So chnage them out (even with basic servos like the Futaba S-3001's and you will have a much better combination.

Of course, the 550 motor and 60A esc supplied with the RTF is not of the same power caliber is their 600+ motor and 85A ESC supplied with their top combo, but they are still very capable, specially for the price.

John_jrp3 05-27-2010 02:46 PM

yep, my esc took a crap (could of been the 6s i tried hehe)  so i opted for the bigger 85-100 new esc for when i bump to the 600 motor soon. the 550 is ok but its weak for any serious flying with a 4s battery. <div>
</div><div>being i already bought a 6s battery i cannot decide on a 600 motor to handle the 6s or get a 5s and try that for now with the 550 as thats all it can handle</div>

rotordoc 05-28-2010 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: John_jrp3

yep, my esc took a crap (could of been the 6s i tried hehe) so i opted for the bigger 85-100 new esc for when i bump to the 600 motor soon. the 550 is ok but its weak for any serious flying with a 4s battery. <div>
</div><div>being i already bought a 6s battery i cannot decide on a 600 motor to handle the 6s or get a 5s and try that for now with the 550 as thats all it can handle</div>
Yep, it certainly would have been because you used a 6S pack on it - that ESC/and motor is speced on their site for use with a 5s pack MAX!!