RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Century - Predator, Hawk IV, Falcon, Raven (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/)
-   -   problem with my century pred. 90? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/century-predator-hawk-iv-falcon-raven-205/9602042-problem-my-century-pred-90-a.html)

highfly24 03-22-2010 09:09 AM

problem with my century pred. 90?

i bought a century predator 90 max nx back in september, and it was on a JR 9303, so we transferred it to one of our friend's 9303's so i could dly it without having to reset everything. we just transferred it to my futaba 9c, and i am no pro at setting helicopters up, but we had one of our friends that has been flying choppers for at least 8 years, and i was flying it the other day on my radio, trimming it out and making sure eerything was working. i hit the throttle hold switch about 5 feet high, and it took a couple seconds to work, then it went to idle like it is supposed to. after it landed, it turned throttle hold off, and it wouldnt take throttle. it acted like the throttle hold switch was still on, but it wasnt. i had al control but throttle was idle. i shut it off, started it again, and flew it a little and then, without using throttle hold, landed it. as soon as it went to idle, i throttled back up and nothing happened. so i shut it off, and the throttle servo started working again as soon as the engine died.
any clues as to what is causing it? i was thinking the governer, but it shouldnt be causing this because it is only in effect when the head speed is up above 1000 rpms....

BarracudaHockey 03-22-2010 09:38 AM

RE: problem with my century pred. 90?

1. Loose servo connection
2. Bad servo.

Reseat all of your connections from the receiver and governor to the servo.

Hold your finger against the servo and put some tension on it and move the throttle and see if you can get it to act up. Dont try to force it stalled but give some resistance and see what happens.

Also, what governor? Some of them have a digital servo mode that can smoke certain servos.

highfly24 03-22-2010 09:44 AM

the thin is, it was working just fine until we switched from JR to Futaba. and the servo starts workin as soon as the engine rpm is stopped. there is n problem with the servo. the governer is a Futaba GV-1. it has all the carbon frame and everythig. u can look at my pictures to see what the helicopter looks like. but the servo is fine. im abot 98% positive

BarracudaHockey 03-22-2010 10:58 AM

Check your connections, sounds like you have a vibration problem somewhere.

GV1 doesnt have a high frame rate so you're good there.

highfly24 03-22-2010 11:07 AM

i will, but i am sure it isnt that because we just put it back together. if vibration is the case, it should be screwing up at a higher throttle than a lower. everything works fine til the enging hits idle then it wont go back up. even after i start it and it is at idle, it will take throttle, but as soon as it gets up to speed, if it falls to idle, it wont pick back up

BarracudaHockey 03-22-2010 11:13 AM

If you think it's the radio take a look at the servo monitor screen on the 9C.

There's a function to slow down servo movment during flight mode switching called DELAY that can be set up but baised on what you're telling me I think its a servo or loose connection problem.

I'm new at this helicopter thing though, I could be wrong :)

highfly24 03-22-2010 11:24 AM

i will deffinately look. thanks for all the help though!

rotordoc1 03-22-2010 12:56 PM

Check the part in your Futaba manual about the low voltage fail safe. Sounds like that is what has kicked in.

highfly24 03-22-2010 01:03 PM

everything is charged. it is running lipo and i just charged and checked the battery before i flew it.

rotordoc1 03-22-2010 08:31 PM

It may all well be charged, but if you have a bad servo, or one that is stalling, then the power demand may well cause the voltage to drop to the point where the low power fail safe system kicks in.

Yet, when you check the pack without the load, all will read as it should!