Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Making Molds of Classic Pattern Plane Fuselages & Parts to Keep them Alive for all of us to Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 03:33 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SHEPSTER

oh your not frequent flyer guy who makes them so u have a canopy but ur saying shipping too high ? Canopy size box shouldn’t cost more then 20 just shoot me price with shipping and a pic thanks
I make them new and the wood parts are laser cut. You never emailed me. It looks like you are talking to David? What I make is exactly like the originals. I make all the parts . cowl, canopy. gear , wheel pants, even the entire kit.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:38 AM
SHEPSTER
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frequent flyer
I make them new and the wood parts are laser cut. You never emailed me. It looks like you are talking to David? What I make is exactly like the originals. I make all the parts . cowl, canopy. gear , wheel pants, even the entire kit.
I sent my email u were suppose to send list of pricing [email protected]
Old 03-09-2019, 12:08 PM
frequent flyer

I never got it. I'll send you a list now.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:28 PM
SHEPSTER
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by frequent flyer
I never got it. I'll send you a list now.
thanks
Old 04-26-2019, 02:19 PM
Jamie C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have just found this thread, there is definitely some very good work going on here. I thought I would add my project to the mix, it is a Mike Birch Capricorn. I came across several fuselages of the Capricorn and one International on eBay. They were of typical chopped strand matt/polyester construction and were very heavy! so I set about about using one for a plug to produce my own epoxy mould and much lighter weight epoxy fuselage, it has turned out much better than I expected. The Larger 'International' design will get the same treatment. The grey fuselage is the finished plug which was used to make the mould, the yellow fuselage is that of the International which is next in line for the same treatment. The fuselage on the scales is the first to come from the mould.

d

Last edited by Jamie C; 04-26-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Missed text
Old 04-26-2019, 04:07 PM
RC YEAGER

A post without any explanation? Pics out of the blue? Are those Capricorn (Mike Birch's) fuselages?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:09 PM
RC YEAGER

Oh... ok... couldnt see any text. Now I suddenly can see it. RCU is really screwed up

Last edited by RC YEAGER; 04-26-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:13 PM
RC YEAGER

Do you have any idea how long many have been searching for Capricorn kits and/or a donor for "plug making"? There are a few threads detailing the ongoing saga. Are there wing cores? You gonna sell kits?

Last edited by RC YEAGER; 04-26-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:03 AM
Jamie C

Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
A post without any explanation? Pics out of the blue? Are those Capricorn (Mike Birch's) fuselages?
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
Do you have any idea how long many have been searching for Capricorn kits and/or a donor for "plug making"? There are a few threads detailing the ongoing saga. Are there wing cores? gonna sell kits?
Yes I do, I spent many years looking for a kit, part built or built model in any condition. From my research it looks as though the last time they were produced was by Mick Reeves in 1982, Mike himself produced small numbers in the 70's. Post 1982 it looks as though nothing has been produced at all, Capricorn or International. The fuselages I have were found on eBay and described as 'Aeroplane fuselages' I recognised them straight away and hit the 'buy it now' very quickly, soon after I collected them and work commenced. I did not have wing or tail patterns, so I advertised once more in the hope someone would come forward with the right details . . . . . and they did! wings and tail are now in progress and should be finished soon.

The International fuselage was an added bonus, could not believe my luck! again the fuselage is very heavy, and will receive the same treatment as the Capricorn has. As far as production goes, time will be an issue and of course the copyright implications, I really do not want to go there.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:49 AM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copy right infringement will not be an issue😉.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:12 AM
RC YEAGER

Well... as far as the copyrights of an almost 50 years old design is concerned, if I recall correctly, both Mick and/or Mike Birch's family gave their approval a few years ago. None of them are gonna do it and what better way to extend Mike's legacy. Of course, if you dont have the time, dont want to do it, and/or want to keep it as your exclusive find, that is your right and your prerrogative to do so.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:38 AM
RC YEAGER

Upon reading it, I can see where my previous post might come of in a wrong way. I mean what I said in a factual way... i.e. if you dont have the time, well, you dont have the time. Also, nobody can make you go into the kit manufacturing business if you dont want to. And everyone is entitled to keep exclusivity of a rare found item.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:19 AM
Jamie C

It has surprised me just how much interest there has been in these models, I really did not expect the amount of enquiries I have had. There are plenty of people who want them, the majority not appreciating the time and cost involved in producing moulds and the fuselages.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:08 AM
RC YEAGER

But of course it takes time and it costs money. At least in my case I know that. Thats one of the reasons that I asked you if you'll sell kits. Its the only way you can recoup your investment. You already invested the initial time and money (and will continue for the International) to make the plugs, moulds, and lay-up initial fuselages for yourself, so making to sell would be the next logical step. I doubt someone expects you to give them away. Of course, like I mentioned before, you dont have to do anything if you dont want to. Oh... and c'mon now... if you were aware of the ongoing saga it has been to obtain Capricorn stuff in the past, you certainly must have suspected what was gonna happen when you posted those pics on this thread. Dont kid yourself
Old 04-28-2019, 12:45 PM
Jamie C

When I started out it was for me, having wanted both models for so long. It was also a good exercise in moulding, the main reason for posting here with what was going on in the thread, hence the pics of the moulds. Will hopefully prompt comments on improvements and possibly a better way of doing things. I have jet model projects running parallel to this and waiting in the wings to be started. I have been working on this for a several weeks, was posting on Facebook long before I posted here, as I did not know about this thread until it was shown to me. Nothing has come from here, with it being a Brit design I was not surprised by this. I knew that there would be some interest in it, as they are scarce but I was very surprised by the volume of interest. My FB messenger has been very active.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:15 PM
RC YEAGER

Well... you've got some decisions ahead. Give it a while and let it sink in. Maybe you can meet the demand. Or if you're not interested, maybe after you make a 2 or 3 fuselages of both Capricorns for yourself you can sell the mould/plugs to Don at RCaiir (whom this thread is originally from and about) or some other outfit that would be interested in doing kits for sale. I myself would be interested, although at this precise moment I wouldnt be able to pull the trigger because I lost my full time job and received substantial damage to my home both due to a hurricane. But in a year, year and a half from now, heck yeah.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:05 PM
frequent flyer

Addiction 110 - 2 meter Pattern kits finished.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:08 PM
frequent flyer

New Citation kits finished
Old 05-13-2019, 02:08 PM
frequent flyer

Phoenix 6 kits finished
Old 07-20-2019, 12:36 AM
wood196767

Default Hanno magic 60 cowls needed

Hi I am after a.front cowl and top deck for a hanno magic 60 .
can anyone help ?
Thankyou in advance

Last edited by wood196767; 07-20-2019 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 07-20-2019, 03:55 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Contact Frequentflyer at the email address listed in his last post. He makes all the fiberglass parts. Very Nice, too.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:04 PM
frequent flyer

I sent you a price list
Old 07-21-2019, 01:36 AM
wood196767

That's great I have emailed you for request of parts thankyou
Old 08-29-2019, 09:04 AM
CXXXV

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Don. I sent email about Brushfire. Did not receive any response.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:59 AM
frequent flyer

Paul, I sent you 2 emails and both were returned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.