Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Sun Fli 5

Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sun Fli 5

Does anyone have plans or maybe even a good 3 view of the Sun Fli 5? I am interested in building one.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sun Fli 5

I didn't think that Bridi got beyond the Sun Fli IV....might be wrong.. but never seen/heard of a five..

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 PM
immelman50

Yes, there was a Sun Fli V. Here's some pictures of mine. I built it 4 years ago from an original Bridi kit. I still fly it with an OS FSR ABC 61. It's a great flying plane. I've had 4 or 5 Kaos versions . My understanding is that the Sun Fli V immediately preceded the Kaos, but I could be wrong. I love the Kaos, in fact the letters DKS on the rudder stand for "Dead Kaos Society", an informal group we have dedicated to the Kaos. Having said that, I like the Sun Fli even better. It seems faster. Mine does have a modification, though, an airfoiled stab. That may make some of the difference. You won't regret building one and I'll look to see if I still have the plans.

Somehow I attached three of the same pictures and I can't figure out how to delete them. I'll put the others in another post.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:49 PM
immelman50

Here are the other pictures.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:16 AM
vertical grimmace

Thanks fo posting the pics. Great looking airplane. I love the long wings and your flying tail was a good idea. If you can help me with the plans that would be great.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 AM
jjscott

See this thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_82...tm.htm#8247873

Jim
Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 AM
hallstro

Here is the RCM Sun-Fli 4 build article...Not quite what you were looking for, but it might help.

Dave
Old 11-13-2010, 05:17 PM
vertical grimmace

Thanks for all of the replies and info. This design seems to have been lost in a time when things were evolving quickly. I probably had basically the same plane in my Killer Kaos .60. It flew amazingly well. I want to get a good set of plans though so I can compare the design.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 PM
immelman50

Hi Vertical,

I found my plans and emailed you to get information on mailing them to you. Thanks for the kind words on my Sun Fli V. I guess I did make more mods than I thought . The original should have carved block wing tips and trike gear. If I had discovered the Classic Pattern forum before I built it , I would have stayed all original. It's close though.

Like most kits, the plans do not show all the wing ribs. They do show the root and you can get the length and depth of the tip rib from them. I think you can probably get very close by measuring the length of the various ribs and plotting them with one of the airfoil programs. I haven't found the kit directions but I'll continue to look. The Bridi designs all build pretty much the same, so even a set from a Killer Kaos or something would get you very close

Thanks for the link Jim. It's good to know the sequence of Joe Bridi's designs. I had always thought the Sun Fli V was pre standard Kaos but obviously not by the time table shown there.

Chuck
Old 11-14-2010, 11:26 AM
vertical grimmace

The plans will be enough for me to build from. I was actually planning on cutting a foam wing for it anyway, so if all I get is a good root airfoil (which is probably something standard anyway) I can make a tip template from that and will be on my way. I have a really strong Rossi .67 that demands to be installed on this plane.
As for modifications, how far can you deviate from original and still be legal? I will probably change the fuselage construction as I think there are better methods now. Otherwise, I will build it stock as I want to experience the design. You never know, we may have a pattern contest nearby and I might just show up with it.
I very much appreiciate your effort immleman, I have been looking for these plans for a while. That is one thing, these do not seem to have been published and the only way to get them is from the old kit. Unless Joe is willing to sell them.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:05 PM
immelman50

I'm not sure on the deviations allowed for SPA or CPA. There is no real activity up north here as far as SPA or CPA contests. I think you can change about 10% in planform but I am not certain of that. One of the actual SPA or CPA competitors could surely tell you better than me.

The plans are in the mail on their way to you. I had a hard time finding an appropriate mailing tube , so eventually I just improvised. Please show us pictures when you have it built or better yet a build thread.

Chuck
Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 PM
vertical grimmace

I really apreciate it Chuck. I might have this be one of my winter builds. I need a good throw around plane to keep the fingers sharp. I fly mostly warbirds throughout the summer.
Of an interesting note, I will be using a Rossi .67 engine for this plane. I had this engine installed in my Killer Kaos and loved it. Tons of power. It seemed (as usual) the right prop was important. 11-7 seemed to be the ticket with the 1/4 wave pipe. I now have a full wave pipe and and the large bore carb. We shall see.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:08 PM
vertical grimmace

Another idea I have is to blow this thing up a little bit and throw in one of those new DLE 20cc gas engines. Honestly, I am having a hard time building new planes for glow. i will certainly build a stock version of this design though. I am just going to make sure it is plenty fuel proof, as it has been my experience that unless well painted, a glow powered aircraft has a limited lifespan.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:18 AM
vertical grimmace

Thanks to Immelman50 I know have a set of the Sunfli 5 plans. Thanks a bunch. Interesting with this design, I think the key is the swept wing. Just enough to straighten the trailing edge. This give a longer nose moment and also more directional stability in yaw. Essentially it looks just like the Killer kaos I had otherwise. Maybe a little smaller.
For this build I will go with a foam wing and other than the outline, I will re-engineer how it is constructed. I always liked the way the Scat cat pylon racers went together, so I will incorporate those methods here. Build the fuse upside down with all formers placed on a centerline on the top sheet of the fuse. This ensures a perfectly straight fuse every time. I may go with some thinnner lighter wood as well. I a plan on glassing this entire bird, so strength will not be an issue.
It has been years in my search for these plans. Almost more curiosity than anything, I now know why it has a good reputation as a great flier.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 AM
immelman50

Hi Rich,

You are welcome, I hope you enjoy the build and flying the Sun Fli as much as I have. The wing is significantly different than the various Kaos wings I have had. I like how it flies a lot. Mine has an OS FSR 61 ABC (no pipe) and likes the old standard 11X7 or 7 1/2 prop best. It weighs 6 lbs and 7 ounces and needed some tail weight, so judicious use of a lighter engine or equipment placement could take out a couple ounces. Mine is all monokote covered. I think I'd glass and paint the fuselage if I did another. In the end the added weight of finishing materials behind the cg would probably eliminate the tail weight and make the overall flying weight very close to the same. I think it'll work well with a foam wing and lighter, thinner fuslage materials. I feel that most of the designs of that time were overbuilt, particularly in the fuselage.

Good luck and show us some pictures when you complete it.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing about the Sun Fly series.....
Make sure to build the stab like the original KAOS to avoid flutter.
The solid sheet stab used on some versions of the SF are simply not strong enough to avoid flutter.
I'm not talking about elevator flutter....the stab is torsionally weak which will allow twisting and will quickly start destructive oscillation.
This would happen even with the low powered baffle piston engines of the day....but today's Rossi would definately be a lot of fun!!

Old 11-23-2010, 02:30 PM
vertical grimmace

The Sun fli stab is built up, but I will watch this. It will certainly have a lot of power with the Rossi.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 PM
immelman50

Mine has an airfoiled stab that was a modification I used, so I don't know if I'd have had a flutter issue with the stab as shown on the plans. I did have a Killer Kaos with a similar built up stab as the plans show on the Sun Fli and never had a problem ( same OS 61 FSR as I am using on the Sun Fli). I could sure see that flutter could happen, though, especially if real light wood was used in the stabilizer.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:00 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

I just received a Sun Fli V kit from a nice gentleman (jjscott). I was looking over the plans last night and realized how much it looks like a Dirty Birdy. Looks like the same canopy and wing, but with a different empennage.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
vertical grimmace

I now have the fuselage built and I changed the internal engineering a great deal to ease construction. I always liked the way Riley Wooten did his box fuses on the Skooter 2 and the Scat cat designs. A top sheet with a centerline, then all of the formers with a corresponding centerline line up on the top sheet. Always a perfectly straight fuse.
I will be cutting my wings and hopefully getting them sheeted this weekend. I have decided to try something different this time. My plan is to fully glass this aircraft and paint it when complete. Since I am poor and I have access to a ton of wood and machines, I will be skinning the cores with 1 mm poplar. Poalar is a great paintable wood as the grain is very tight. We shall see how this works. Best of all, this saves me probably $50 in balsa wood skins. I have made them thinner to keep the weight down.
I also will be cutting a Stab core and sheeting it as well. The other plan is to throw retracts in. I am hoping to have this ready for this summer. A good sport throw around plane to keep my reflexes sharp for the warbirds and pylon racers I fly normally.