Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

The Tiger Tails????

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Tiger Tails????

What is the difference between the Tiger Tail, the Tiger Tail 4, and the Tiger Tail 4S?

I have searched with little results on this website..

Brian
Old 12-02-2010, 04:27 AM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: The Tiger Tails????

The original Tiger Tail was Ron Chidgey's Nats-winning design published in M.A.N. sometime in 1971 (I have article if you want it). Wood kit was sold by Southern R/C Products. I don't remember ever seeing a "Tiger Tail 2". The Tiger Tail 3 (which I have) was a glass/foam kit in the late 1970's, also by Southern R/C. It was slightly larger than the original TT, and could accept a rear exhaust .60 with engine upright and pipe running inside the fuse under the canopy. The Tiger Tail 4 and 4S are larger yet, and intended for 4 strokes, if I'm correct. Not sure of the difference between the 4 and 4S. Check http://www.scratchbuilderwarehouse.com/home.

They are great performers and very honest, easy airplanes to fly.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:33 AM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RCDENT, the 4S is a little wider than the 4 to accommodate the 4 Stroke engines, I'm building a 4S short kit I got from Ron Chidgey. Ron flies the 4S @ SPA contests and it really is a great performer on a OS 91 4 stroke. It is a big Plane. hope this helps. Pete
Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 AM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: rv7driver

RCDENT, the 4S is a little wider than the 4 to accommodate the 4 Stroke engines, I'm building a 4S short kit I got from Ron Chidgey. Ron flies the 4S @ SPA contests and it really is a great performer on a OS 91 4 stroke. It is a big Plane. hope this helps. Pete
What I would give to be able to see Mr. Chidgey fly 1st hand...

You folks out east and southeast are blessed to have such involvment in SPA and CPA events. The closest sanctioned event to me will be Chicago- which I hope to attend with a pattern ship of my own. I wish more interest would be drummed up in my area.

I'll have to just keep spreading the gospel!

With Mr. Chidgey using a 4 cycle, I won't feel too bad using one in a Tiger Tail either.

Thanks

Brian
Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You folks out east and southeast are blessed to have such involvment in SPA and CPA events.
I wish there were SPA or CPA action in the East. A few of us tried to get SPA rolling a couple of years ago. The effort was like lighting a match in the wind, it flared up quickly but got blown out just as quickly. No one except WEDJ and myself still have interest. But that's hardly enough to make any dent.

BTW - I've got an Southern R/C Alley Cat (.40-size TT) kit for that someday build.

FB
Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

What I would give to be able to see Mr. Chidgey fly 1st hand...

You folks out east and southeast are blessed to have such involvment in SPA and CPA events. The closest sanctioned event to me will be Chicago- which I hope to attend with a pattern ship of my own. I wish more interest would be drummed up in my area.

I'll have to just keep spreading the gospel!

With Mr. Chidgey using a 4 cycle, I won't feel too bad using one in a Tiger Tail either.

Thanks

Brian
I was working the weekend of the Hotlanta SPA contest this year. However Saturday after work I stopped by the site just in time to see the last round of the Expert class, what a treat!! All of those guys are really good but the "cherry on top" was watching Mr Chidgey's flight...He is just an Awesome pilot!!

He flies using a really wierd transmitter...I believe it's a single stick deal and he's pusing buttons and flipping levers and all sorts of stuff I didn't understand...It was kewl though... [8D]

The Tiger Tail 4 is a beautiful plane...

Chuck
Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Brian & FB,

I would see more CPA action in your area's ... let me know if I can help.

scott
Old 12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FreeBird - We had the same thing in Florida. Starting out, we had about 27 at the first meeting, all gung-ho. There were some club's that got on board, but the interest just wasn't there. The original gang that we met with up in Apopka, I don't know where they went, back home, back to the shop, or just lost enthusiasm. I guess like looking up an old girl friend after you hadn't seen her in 30 or 40 year's, it just ain't the same.

I wonder what would have happened to classic plane's and pattern, if the Chinese, Korean, etc., country's did not produce the instant RC plane ? Would the kit manufacturer's still be in business, and would old classic pattern have continued ? I don't see anything wrong with the import's, I have a few, but still build the old Skyglas kit's.

Crank
Old 12-03-2010, 04:33 AM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: crankpin

FreeBird - We had the same thing in Florida. Starting out, we had about 27 at the first meeting, all gung-ho. There were some club's that got on board, but the interest just wasn't there. The original gang that we met with up in Apopka, I don't know where they went, back home, back to the shop, or just lost enthusiasm. I guess like looking up an old girl friend after you hadn't seen her in 30 or 40 year's, it just ain't the same.

I wonder what would have happened to classic plane's and pattern, if the Chinese, Korean, etc., country's did not produce the instant RC plane ? Would the kit manufacturer's still be in business, and would old classic pattern have continued ? I don't see anything wrong with the import's, I have a few, but still build the old Skyglas kit's.

Crank
You are right, Vince. After that first meeting the Florida interest dwindled. I'm still able to compete, but the contests I go to are in Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina. I just got hold of a Johnny Casburn LFX-II kit I still like building, as opposed to assembling.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2010, 04:08 AM
RCDENT

Got to do some classic pattern flying with edwarda10pilot yesterday (great time!). Shot some pics of his Tiger Tail and mine. Ed's TT is Ron Chidgey's personal prototype for the Tiger Tail IV. Fuse is wood with a fiberglass canopy/pipe area. The wing is built up balsa and stab is removable (Mr. Chidgey was experimenting with different incidence setups at the time). Mine is a Tiger Tail III, all glass fuse with foam core/balsa sheet wing and stab from the Southern R/C kit. It was built in the late 1980's as a "transition" plane to the then new, "turnaround" pattern. Thus the conventional landing gear and Monokote wing/stab to reduce weight.

I'm still not clear on the difference between the III and IV. Took a photo of the two, and configuration looks very similar. Maybe different airfoil, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15959.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1530433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27379.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	1530434  
Old 12-05-2010, 05:23 AM
PatternPilot

rcdent,

Glad to see more classic guys in TX !

Ask Ed to see the CPA items when they come in...

scott
Old 12-05-2010, 08:51 AM
doxilia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RCDENT,

that's an interesting looking Tipo in the background finished in an Aurora like trim scheme. How do you have it setup?

David.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:57 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

I got to fly Eds Tiger Tail.. Sweet flying plane, really rolls nicely.

I dusted off my old Blue Angel and my father flew it a couple of moths ago when we flew with Ed.

Here is a pic in flight.

Name:	ca83061.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1530656  
Old 12-05-2010, 03:04 PM
RCDENT

The Tipo belongs to Ed. Pretty paint job!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:28 PM
rv7driver

Here's a few pic's of the Tiger Tail 4S short kit I got from Ron Chidgey that I started a few nights ago. I plan on fiber-glassing the plane and painting it.

Name:	Sp45115.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1530691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50131.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1530692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36930.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1530693  
Old 12-05-2010, 04:10 PM
EscapeFlyer

rv7driver-

If you wouldn't mind, could you post your build progress here? (That is, unless you want your own thread.)

I would enjoy seeing how it goes together.

Brian
Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM
rv7driver

Brain, really don't have the time for a thread, but I'll post as I go, problem is I have 2 more planes to finish so it my take a while. Pete here's a few more pic's

Name:	ig11884.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1530712   Click image for larger version

Name:	wu60943.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	1530713  
Old 12-06-2010, 05:22 PM
ShineyObject
My Feedback: (4)

Chuck (Atlanta60) - I was judging that particular round of Senior Expert. Ron laid down a round that was among the top five near perfect flights I've had the pleasure to watch. I literally could not remain sitting during the last two or three maneuvers of judging. We have some awesome talent in the SPA and I count myself lucky to fly with them.
Just as a side note - I acquired one of the first three Tiger Tail 4s short kits Ron fixed up for us. Super nice work and plans, and like always Ron did an excellent job.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
EscapeFlyer

It doesn't seem that anyone knows for certain the differences between the models, other than the newer designs are more conducive to four cycle engines.

Does anyone know if Mr. Chidgey is on RCU?

Brian
Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM
EscapeFlyer

ORIGINAL: ShineyObject

Chuck (Atlanta60) - I was judging that particular round of Senior Expert. Ron laid down a round that was among the top five near perfect flights I've had the pleasure to watch. I literally could not remain sitting during the last two or three maneuvers of judging. We have some awesome talent in the SPA and I count myself lucky to fly with them.
Just as a side note - I acquired one of the first three Tiger Tail 4s short kits Ron fixed up for us. Super nice work and plans, and like always Ron did an excellent job.

I really wish SOMEONE would get the video camera out and capture these guys on video. I wish RCU would send someone out to interview and video people like Ron Chidgey in their element- Really make a production out of it.

Video them from the flightline, while using the transmitter, capture the aircraft, delve into the airplane, maybe even it's construction. We have so much available to us, but it seems so far away from places like Minnesota. Maybe this could make it more real to my friends. Inspiration- and good for the economy- get people building and partcipating more in these events. At least in my area.

Scott- Maybe the CPA could do something like this- or even someone from the SPA. Heck, both!

Brian

(Maybe this should be the topic of it's own thread. Sorry from deviating so far from my original intent!)

Old 12-06-2010, 10:48 PM
doxilia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes
I really wish SOMEONE would get the video camera out and capture these guys on video. I wish RCU would send someone out to interview and video people like Ron Chidgey in their element- Really make a production out of it.

Video them from the flightline, while using the transmitter, capture the aircraft, delve into the airplane, maybe even it's construction. We have so much available to us, but it seems so far away from places like Minnesota. Maybe this could make it more real to my friends. Inspiration- and good for the economy- get people building and partcipating more in these events. At least in my area.

Scott- Maybe the CPA could do something like this- or even someone from the SPA. Heck, both!

Brian

(Maybe this should be the topic of it's own thread. Sorry from deviating so far from my original intent!)
Brian,

an excellent idea - as a video professional, one which I've been thinking about for some time. My concept is a little more comprehensive including building techniques and mastery from some of the greats. We already have 3 or 4 production companies documenting the "big" events; what we don't have is intimate interviews as well as good edited video showing some of the tips and tricks as well as tried and trusted building techniques. The difficulty is with respect to funding. Not insurmountable but tricky. Speaking of which, if anyone has any good ideas or sources on that front, please do let me know.

I'd love to find someone in my field who shares an interest in the same concept - the classics and our profession.

David.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 AM
rv7driver

Brain go to www.seniorpattern.com and scroll down to streaming videos and watch the 7th world championship has Ron Chidgey Phil Kraft and more great videos! Pete
Old 12-07-2010, 08:05 AM
EscapeFlyer

Brain go to www.seniorpattern.com and scroll down to streaming videos and watch the 7th world championship has Ron Chidgey Phil Kraft and more great videos! Pete

Oh Yah!!!! I have been there MANY times. I watch this often, and quite frankly, this was part of what was behind my comment.

Brian
Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 AM
PatternPilot

Brian, all

If anyone wants to shoot video or interviews of these guys we would be more than happy to post them on the CPA site and also get them into a CPA newsletter..

Still looking for some help on the newsletter as we have one person so far.

sorry to hijack the thread.

scott
Old 12-07-2010, 02:06 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny the video has piped and retract airplanes on a non pipe and retract association's website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.