Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Classic trip to Kansas City

Old 08-07-2011, 03:43 AM
stuntflyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic trip to Kansas City

Me and my St. Louis buddy Joe Moceri drove to Kansas City to buy some of the late Bob McConnell's Classic Pattern collection on Saturday. Duane Hulen has been taking care of the sale of this nice collection as Bob was one of his mentor's in R/C when he was a teen. Several very nice ships were present and with his photos going out on the forum, many were spoken for by Classic enthusiasts all over the country.

Joe picked my up at 6:30 am at Mark Twain Hobbies parking lot in St. Charles, MO, just west of St. Louis, and we headed out towards the unknown. We shot the bull, caught up on the last 15 years since we'd seen one another )he'd shot the clear on one of my C/L Stunters in the early 90's!), and got down to Classic pattern talk, what we wanted, and what we might find. The idea of a besement hobby shop from the eighties had me thinking of stocks of delightful goodies from the past, all of my favorite spares, compnents, and things.
Joe wanted the UFO that was in the pictures but it had been spoken for before he could get to Duane, a matter of hours because of the interest. He decided that if I was to get an EU-1A then he would get one too. Duane and I had spoken early on and I told him I wanted the best EU-1A. He told me that any of them were mine as I was first in line, but later on someone from Atlanta felt a deep desire for the pink Circus Circus EU-1A. We agreed that if Blue Angel 1 EU-1A was as nice as Circus Circus then I would take it. Best to keep the interest up, drama down, in the small community of Classic guys, I figured. Joe's first pattern ship was a mach 1, which Duane had listed one as being in the collection when originally posted, but it turned out it was a UFO. Still good, but the Witchita boys had beaten Joe to the punch, Joe liked the Curare too, so it was in his sights.
Arriving at Duane's house, there was big crowd. Wow, I thought, has this turned into a bidding war, a free for all? There several trucks and cars parked in front of Duane's house and many people were crowded into the yard and garage. Had we lost our ships? Well, it turned out that a couple of nice guys from Duane's club had showed and walked out with some beautiful Scale jobs like the Bucker Jungmeister (I felt a pang!), and some new Kraft wheels. The other guys were putting new siding on his house!
Joe and I introduced ourselves to Duand and Kelly, our hosts for the morning, and let us pick up every model and peruse the goods. Boxes of spares were in abundance and we carried our intended models out to survey their condition. My EU-1A pick was Blue Angel 1, it was every bit as nice as Circus Circus and was more my style. Joe carried damaged Blue Angel 5 EU-1A out and we were delighted to see it's repairs on the wing included a Rohm Air landing gear overhaul and a straight, stiff wing. The fuse repairs needed were slight. Both ships were complete with Rossi 60 RE, pipes and headers, Rohm Airs, Kraft wheels and a full complement of ancient JR and Ace servos! It was a Classic guy's dream come true. We rounded up Curare, which is in Thunderbirds paint, and it was a beautiful sight. A bit hefty, there was some concernabout it's weight but after explaining my Tiporare's abilities at 9 plus pounds Joe seemed to feel much more confident. With the Rossi side exhaust and low slung pipe I wasn't sure if it reminded me of a gun fighter or rock guitarist...
Sorting through the boxes, we found NIB Kraft wheels, NIB Rohm Air gear sets, engine parts, NIP Tornado yellow nylon 12x6's (I know, but I think it'd look great on the King Cobra), Zinger 10.5x7.5's and Rev Up 11x7 3/4 NIP. We were in heaven.
Finally, after the deals were made, Duane showed me the capper, the original EU-1A construction booklet with all of the patterns and build notes, and the RCM magazine with article. We were all smiles by this time, carrying out some of the Pattern ships for pictues and saying out goodbyes.
Driving home, Jow and I made plans for our new acquisitions and we should get them flying pretty quickly.
Thanks to Duane for caring enough to pass these along to those that care about the Classic pattern ships.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21592.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1645384  
Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 AM
joefroooo
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Classic trip to Kansas City

We had a great time looking and touching all those classic planes. Glad we were able to buy some and will get them back into the air soon. Going to update the servos and tighten up the Monokote, go thru the motors and get them ready for flight, Had a good time talking with Duane and looking at the old pictures of him and Bob the original owner and flier of the airplanes.
Joe
Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 PM
DHULEN
My Feedback: (11)

Chris and Joe
Thanks for making the trip over here hope you guys have good luck with the planes

you guys are great
Duane
Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 AM
stuntflyr

Thanks for being such a great friend to the Classic's, Duane. Here;s a shot of you with your collection. Hope all is well.
Chris...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15221.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1646446