Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

FG-14b for SPA???

Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 AM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG-14b for SPA???

I just came out of a hole in the ground and started flying my Kaos again, preparing to make a showing at the next two contest here in Fort Worth. Although the plane flies good, after each flight I can't help but to start thinking that the Compensator short kit I have in the attic would be awesome! Yesterday, while searching for engine options for another project I stumbled upon the Saito FG-14b, and started wondering... The weight seems like it isn't bad, and if the thing truly sips fuel as they say, a smaller tank should offset the ignition module's added weight. I have used the hitec 5245 servo on a .60 sized pattern plane in the past, and was thinking with those servos, a light 2s lipo, and a diligent approach to controlling the airframe's weight, it could be about 6.5 pounds. Any of you guys seen this engine in action, or have any thoughts on this combo?

Thanks,

Blake
Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 AM
boomerik

Default RE: FG-14b for SPA???

The weight might work out but the main problem will be the ground clearance with the prop you have to use on this engine .
Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 AM
LS171Malibu
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: FG-14b for SPA???

I was thinking about that a bit. It looks like the bench mark prop is a 14x6. Since it will be turning less rpm than a 2 stroke, the 6 inch pitch would not give the speeds we need. Maybe a 12x8 or 11x10 would allow both the prop clearance and pitch speed required...