Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Sleeve Chroming

Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sleeve Chroming

I have found a gentleman that rechromes, or in the case of OS, chromes your existing sleeve provided the piston is still in good shape. You will have to talk with him directly to determine "good shape". Bob Oge is his name and he is well known in the control line racing circles(no pun intended). You can contact him at [email protected] .

I am going to have him do my NIB OS .61 RF pump so that I never have to worry about the nickel peeling. He recommends that the crank pin be chromed as well, as it makes the rod last longer. He also says to get a boca high speed/high heat rear bearing without any seals or shields if you want the bearing to live. As far as pricing goes, that too I will leave between you and him, but mine will be about the same as a new piston and liner.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sleeve Chroming

Bob did a Rossi for me and is presently working on an old OPS Redhead. Give him a try if you need some engine help.

Jim
Old 03-14-2017, 03:36 PM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but I gotta try and hope for some help. I have been looking for a source for re-chroming a sleeve and piston. I tried the email listed on this thread and did not receive a reply. Does anyone know if there is a place that sill does it?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Bob has done several piston/sleeve sets for me, but that was a few years ago and at the time he was talking about 'retiring' which, perhaps, he has done. Somebody in the engine forum might know a source or better, check the Control Line forums, especially the C/L speed because that's were heavy engine modification still happens. Good Luck! The only other person I know of is Henry Nelson of Nelson competition engines and he might be willing to re-chrome, too.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Bob did a sleeve for me last year, but he travels alot for months at time. I have two Hanno Sleeves to do and I can't seem to get him these days.
I tried, begged even, to get Nelson to chrome my Hannos, and he said he was not interested.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:32 PM
kenh3497

Please post back here if anybody is found that can do this. I have a couple engines I would like to have the sleeve chromed.

Thanks!

ken