Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Big Chaos Gasser

Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Scota4570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Chaos Gasser

I finished my Bridi Big Chaos. The engine is an OPS 30 running gas. It finished up at 15-pounds.

Take away lessons......

1. The nose is waaaay too short. I lengthened mine about 3". 2" would have been about right. There is no way it would balance properly with an OS 160. The OS was suggested as the "standard engine" for this model. I would guess 2 or 3-pounds of lead to make the os work with the nose as designed.

2. Do not use fabric store dacron (polyester) skirt lining material. It does shrink and work ok. It does ten to want to sag over time. It took several heat gun passes to get it to stay taut. Next time I'll probably go with a commercial covering. No, not stits, it is too heavy and expensive.

3. The landing gear is to short. I plan on breaking my new 18" prop. I would have made new gear, about 2" taller, If I had notticed it before I glued the gear in place.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37414.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1775974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73686.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1775975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74602.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1775976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78966.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1775977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd45498.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1775978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gw29077.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1775979  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 PM
MTK

Default RE: Big Chaos Gasser

ORIGINAL: Scota4570

I finished my Bridi Big Chaos. The engine is an OPS 30 running gas. It finished up at 15-pounds.

Take away lessons......

1. The nose is waaaay too short. I lengthened mine about 3''. 2'' would have been about right. There is no way it would balance properly with an OS 160. The OS was susgested as the ''standard engine'' for this model. I would gues 2 or 3-pounds of lead to make the os work with the nose as designed.

2. Do not use fabric store dacron (polyester) skirt lining material. It does shrink and work ok. It does ten to eant to sag over time. It took several heat gun passes to get it to stay taut. Next time I'll probably go with a commercial covering. No, not stits, it is too heavy and expensive.

3. The landing gear is to short. I plan on breaking my new 18'' prop. I would have made new gear, about 2'' taller, If I had notticed it before I glued the gear in place.
Scota,

I bought the BlueJay kit a few months ago. I took a quick look inside to see thick, heavy wood everywhere. I am not surprised by your findings.

I was planning on bashing mine a bit by building it for a 50cc class engine...larger wing and longer fuse.

There is a very nice covering material sold by Model Research Labs (I think they are still in business but not certain). It looks like silkspan but is a polyester thin, sheer material similar to polyspan. This shrinks well with heat . It is applied with dope and finished in dope, polyU or epoxy paint. Heck Krylon should work.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Sport_Pilot

I took a quick look inside to see thick, heavy wood everywhere. I am not surprised by your findings.
Heavy wood makes the plane tail heavy, unless only the wing parts are heavy. His was nose heavy, maybe his kit had light wood. I have seen huge varibility in weight of wood in kits. I tend to get the heavy ones when others have light wood from the same kit.

I think Sig sells a heat shrink fabric that should hold up well.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Scota4570

I will probably go with Sig. They have fabric and dope that works together. The only rub is the stix-it. Kalifornia won't allow it. No big deal, the Stits version works great.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Scota4570

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: Scota4570

Take away lessons......

1. The nose is waaaay too short. I lengthened mine about 3''. 2'' would have been about right. There is no way it would balance properly with an OS 160. The OS was susgested as the ''standard engine'' for this model. I would gues 2 or 3-pounds of lead to make the os work with the nose as designed.

2. Do not use fabric store dacron (polyester) skirt lining material. It does shrink and work ok. It does ten to eant to sag over time. It took several heat gun passes to get it to stay taut. Next time I'll probably go with a commercial covering. No, not stits, it is too heavy and expensive.

3. The landing gear is to short. I plan on breaking my new 18'' prop. I would have made new gear, about 2'' taller, If I had notticed it before I glued the gear in place.
Scota,

I bought the BlueJay kit a few months ago. I took a quick look inside to see thick, heavy wood everywhere. I am not surprised by your findings.

I was planning on bashing mine a bit by building it for a 50cc class engine...larger wing and longer fuse.

There is a very nice covering material sold by Model Research Labs (I think they are still in business but not certain). It looks like silkspan but is a polyester thin, sheer material similar to polyspan. This shrinks well with heat . It is applied with dope and finished in dope, polyU or epoxy paint. Heck Krylon should work.
The Bridi Big Bee may be what you are looking for. I fly the snot of my big bee. It currently has a 65cc chainsaw converison on it. I used to have a BME 50 on it, that was actually better.

I used spray lacquir on this one, for black and white. The red is Lustre-kote. Both seem very compatable with the Stits sealer (dope) I used. Automotive touch-up paint IS spray lacquir. "Duplicolor" from Kragen. There are pleanty of colors to choose from with that stuff.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Check out the light weight dacron from aircraft spruce. A lot like Koverall, but really cheap. Around 3.50 a yard on a 5' roll. Ten bucks or less would cover that entire plane. It likes dope, but I am sure other paints would work. Also requires balsarite or stix-it.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:27 PM
gizmospal

Jan 21 2020.....Just looking for Big Chaos info as I am in the middle of building the Bluejay kit I got from a guy last Fall. Certainly glad I have some building experience under my belt as the plans and instructions leave a lot to be desired. For me anyway.... I'm one of those 'measure 5 times, and cut once' then ***??? Your finished plane looks quite nice. Not quite understanding all the comments on covering materials from everyone. . I am just using good old Monokote in a combination of Teal and Cream and Plum with some 2 inch black and white checkerboards on the wing tips top and bottom. Top wing will be cream and bottom of the wing plum with cream wiggly parts above and plum bottom elevators. Further trim not decided yet. I will be powering it with a SAITO 1.50 4 stroke in glow power. With the engine not mounted yet I don't know about that prop clearance you mention. Maybe a smaller than 18 inch prop and larger wheels. The plans and instructions show NOTHING about hooking up the rudder controls or servo location and do not show any connection to the tail wheel and rudder as if it was to be free castering. I did that with n old Balsa USA early .40 size Phaeton and it was swell on the grass, but totally out of control with ground loops on pavement. 98 % of my flying is from grass fields but we do get a chance at an airport taxiway and I wonder if the case would be the same with a castering tailwheel.
NOTE: I am not good at getting back and finding my way around these Forums, so PLEASE, if you reply to me, do it to: rocketmn@nemontel.net

Blue skies and smooth landings to you all. I'm waiting for MAY when the snow is gone and the thermometer thaws out. 60 miles below Canada......