Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Gasket Sets for the YS-60...

Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasket Sets for the YS-60...

Hiya...

It's been a while but the last time I checked the Gasket Sets for the YS-60 were no longer available...Unless something has changed and YS made some more that leaves us in a pickle...I think they are getting pretty hard to come by via "the-bay" unless someone out there is sitting on a stash...

How can we overcome this?? I have one new set that I could have scanned and made into a PDF...Then could you take it to a vinyl shop and use their plotters to cut new gaskets?? Then what material would you use for the gaskets?? The originals are a paper type of gasket materiel which I always wind up tearing up when I take the engines apart... [:@]

I remember hearing about "Leak Proof" gaskets for YS engines...I assume they were an aftermarket gasket set made by a third party but am not sure and never saw any of them...Does anyone have any experience with those?? If so, what material were they made of??

Ideas??

Chuck
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
rcjunkee
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Gasket Sets for the YS-60...

Some folks I have talked to are particular about getting 'original' but when they aren't available you might as well make them.

I used to restore vintage automobiles. a set of gasket punches for holes and a set of sharp exacto knives, a straight edge and some curves to cut round shapes was something I used very often.

Complex shapes can be difficult but they don't need to be perfect to seal.

I you can't get the right gasket paper you can always buy some gaskets intended for other engines that are in shapes you can carve into the ones you need.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Roguedog

Hey Chuck,

Those two paper gaskets can be easily made by getting this gasket material from Tower Hobbies. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDF10&P=ML

It measures 1/64th on an inch and makes great gaskets. I would scan the good set of gaskets just to have something that you could use to transfer onto the above gaskets.

One of the things that I do when assembling one of my RC engines is to oil up the paper gaskets with castor so if I need to disassemble the engine the gasket comes apart easier alot of times without tearing.

If I need to make a gasket I'll cut out a square or rectanble large enough to cover everything then paint a thin layer of contact cement on one side of the gasket and on the gasket sufface of the engine. Let it sit for 10minutes then stick the gasket to the engine.

Next I use a real sharp x-acto to cut out the holes and shape needed. The contact cement keeps the gasket from coming off while making the holes. After it's cut out I again put a layer of castor on the gasket then bolt it together.

It isn't hard to do and it makes really good gaskets.

Bryan
Old 06-05-2013, 03:36 AM
Jim Johns

Roguedog is right on. I do one thing differently - I use 1/8" brass tubing to cut the round holes. Use the piont of a new #11 Xacto knife blade to sharpen the tube on the INSIDE. This leaves a very nice sharp edge that is resistant to swelling and blocking the holes. Been there, done that in a previous life.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Would Permatex Copper work?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 PM
Roguedog

Roary,

Dang I would have had that thing together by now.

i tried the permatex copper and it will work only it's very messy.

It will also work on the exhaust port but again it gets all over the engine although the gasket material I mentioned seals the exhaust port completely. I really like that I can at least keep the exhaust out of the engine compartment.

The method i suggested above is very easy and Jims' idea using a sharpened brass tube to cut the holes is a good idea as well.

The only drawback to the copper permatex is that it tends to get all over inside the engine no matter how you try not too.. If small pieces break loose they can foul the glow plug.

You don't even have to use the gasket material I mentioned as a playing card or better a manila folder works awesome.

The contact cement is not permanent and if you oil the other side before assembly, if needed, it comes apart alot easier than a dry paper gasket.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Roary m

Does the manila folder material work well?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Roguedog

I would say any card stock, manila folder, meat packing paper, 20lb paper. etc. would work fine as long as you put castor or syn oil on the gasket before assembly. I would not use dry gaskets on any of my engines as they dry paper gaskets tend to glue themselves to each surface making it extremely hard to disassemble later.

Back in 2008 when I first joined RCU I wanted to post something to get my feet wet so to speak so I did a thread called "How to make case gaskets" I had an OS Max 40 FSR that needed gaskets so I made them out of printer paper.

Here's the link. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7505445

You want to make sure it's not to thick. Paper, manila folders are very thin you wouldn't want to much space between the rear cover and the crankcase.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Back in the day, a number of us determined that nitro and pressure desolved the stock paper YS gaskets and little balls of cellulose would end up clogging the YS regulator.

After a season of dead-sticks I swore I'd do something about it.

I had a friend make up some hand dies for the 60, 61 and 120. After trying a number of materials, I finally settled on PTFE. I sold many, many sets before Leak-Free hit the market.

If you find a YS with white gaskets in it, those are ones I made. Don't throw them away-they're still good!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to make some more!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:22 AM
grotto2

I don't think I have the dies anymore.

This is just meant as a warning to those who are making gaskets out of any paper product or standard gasket material. You are asking for trouble!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Jim Johns

ORIGINAL: grotto2

I don't think I have the dies anymore.

This is just meant as a warning to those who are making gaskets out of any paper product or standard gasket material. You are asking for trouble!
Ron - where did you get the PTFE material and what thickness did you use?

Thanks!!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

McMasterCarr carries all kinds of stuff usable in RC including PTFE. You want sintered sheet stock around .010" thick. There is also material in tape form that will work great, stuff calledskived tape..... probably 2" wide material is plenty wide enough.Thickness is various up to .015". Color doesn't matter; get the natural

You don't want unsintered PTFE tape. It seals well enough, that's not the problem. It is too flexible and difficult to work with regarding the cuts you need to make.

Be forewarned, PTFE can be pricy.

OR if you go on-line and look up PTFE skived tape, you should have a bunch of hits. You might be able to get a small sample for free
Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Jim Oliver
My Feedback: (1)

FWIW, Richard Verano told me that the gasket sets for the new YS will fit the old engines, and he told me that he does have parts for the new engines.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 AM
grotto2

I think I used .015 unsintered, but today I would go with MTK's suggestion as, like he says, that material was tough to work with.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Roguedog

Hey grotto2,

How about you throw a wet blanket on a otherwise very information thread.

wet′ blan′ket
n.
a person or thing that dampens or discourages one's enthusiasm or enjoyment.

If you use the gasket material I mentioned earlier you would not experience small balls of cellulose you say happened to you and your friends.

As far as other brands of RC engines using paper as a gasket material would not cause the problem you mentioned as the paper gaskets are past the carburetion process.

Bryan
Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
grotto2

I'm sorry, Roguedog. That was not my intent. My humblest apologies.

Have you tried your gasket material in the YS pressure-regulator system?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:34 PM
MTK

Bryan,

Please understand that back then, the original paper gaskets in the YS'srepresented a very real problem for all of us YS users and Ron's solution helpeddozens ofengines get back on their feet so to speak. I think his information sharing has a place in this thread just the same as your info sharing does. Or mine.....These threads should be about info sharing, no??

Having said that I found some Leak-Free's the other day in one of my bins (looking for something else of course).
Old 06-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Jim Johns

ORIGINAL: MTK

Bryan,

Please understand that back then, the original paper gaskets in the YS'srepresented a very real problem for all of us YS users and Ron's solution helpeddozens ofengines get back on their feet so to speak. I think his information sharing has a place in this thread just the same as your info sharing does. Or mine.....These threads should be about info sharing, no??

Having said that I found some Leak-Free's the other day in one of my bins (looking for something else of course).
Matt,

Any chance you could scan those gaskets and post the resulting scans for our reference? It would save reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 PM
mike31

I made my own...
Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 PM
Roguedog

ORIGINAL: MTK

Bryan,

MTK,
I got that part and think what he did was great. I almost posted that I'd like to have several sets then he mentioned he didn't have the tools to make any more. So that was a bummer.

Also the info that those gaskets if found on an engine are reusable is of great value. Understood all that and I agree about the sharing of information.

That said this is an issue that only would only affect a YS engine not all engines. It is the blanket warning statement about paper gaskets which was the wet blanket I was talking about.

grotto2,
I have used laser jet paper to make gaskets for my OS Max 40, 45, and 60 FSR's, and have used the Perfect Gasket Material from Tower Hobbies to make awesome exhaust gaskets. All work fine.

As far as the YS 60's and YS 61's I have a supply of NIP gaskets purchased from YS several years back. So I haven't had to make any for those engines yet.

I can imagine how much a pain those old gaskets were. Your solution excellant. I will now go back and recheck all my YS engines to see if I have inadvertantly got a package of the older gaskets installed.

I believe all the ones I have in packages and installed have the ys name printed on parts of the gaskets so they should be fine.

Bryan