Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy Balance

Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dirty Birdy Balance

I started building a Dirty Birdy 60 from RCM plans. I remember reading somewhere that they all came out either nose heavy or tail heavy. I plan on using retracts in mine and would like to move any weight around early in the building process if I know which way to go. Anyone have experience here?

Thanks
Scott
Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Skylane
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using an OS 61 SF I found that the DB ARF was noseheavy and had to add about 3.75 oz of lead to the tail. Others have had similar results, although it does depend on the engine used. I don't know if this is applicable to a plans built DB.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Pylonracr

It will certainly help.
Thank you
Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Consider moving the RX battery pack to behind the wing. When you can move something that heavy from in front of the CG to behind the CG it makes a huge difference in the balance.

Mike
Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Jim Johns

The same applies to the Bluejay Dirty Birty kit. It also builds nose heavy from all reports. I'm building this kit now and plan to put dual elevator servos under the stab to counteract the nose heaviness.

If you are using the hardwood bean motor mounts instead of the nylon radial mount, that will probably make things even worse.

Originally Posted by Skylane View Post
Using an OS 61 SF I found that the DB ARF was noseheavy and had to add about 3.75 oz of lead to the tail. Others have had similar results, although it does depend on the engine used. I don't know if this is applicable to a plans built DB.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM
VCScott

I put two rx battery packs just in front of the stab on my Bluejay DB and it balanced nicely with an OS61fsr out front.
Scott
Old 08-08-2013, 04:32 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Dad's ARF needed 4 oz of lead in the tail with battery and retract tank as far back as possible in the radio compartment. He is running an OS 61FX.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Pylonracr

Thanks for the help guys. Looking at the plans it seemed like it was going to be nose heavy, and I thought I remembered reading that they all were nose heavy. I will move as much as I can back as I build it.