Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

SPA West Open in Fort Worth

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SPA West Open in Fort Worth

The Fort Worth Thunderbirds are having the season final (or beginner for some) on October 12-13.
Their web site is www.fwthunderbirds.org.
KlassKote MO and Planet Hobby are donating a NovaRossi and KlassKote paint for the pilots raffle.
I think we'll have at least 25 pilots so most of the classes should be filled so you're not flying by yourself.
The field is beautiful and we are going to have a lot of fun.

You can pre-register on here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Ymc...WkR1k/viewform

View the flyer here http://www.seniorpattern.com/pdf/SPA...en%202013s.pdf

If you would like an SPA West hat for $20 let me know, I have several left. See photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	9-7-13-zback-sml.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	752.0 KB
ID:	1920120   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-7-13-front-sml.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	863.6 KB
ID:	1920121  
Old 09-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Timthetoolman1

We have guys from Kansas, Oklahoma and Alabama coming. Sure wish Arkansas, New Mexico, and Louisiana would round out the states.

Several guys from that club will not register but will just show up so looks like more are coming than is shown.

Tim
Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Timthetoolman1

Add Mississippi to the list, there's a couple guys from there coming.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:37 AM
Jim Johns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim,

You're going to love Tom and BOPOD from Mississippi. I met them at the Chattanooga SPA event last month for the first time. They are great folks and a real hoot.

I wish I could make it out west for your contest. My wife has family in Dallas and Bernie Olsen and I were in the same club back in Wichita, KS many years ago. Unfortunately, we have to be in Charlotte for a wedding that weekend. Maybe next year.

JJ

Originally Posted by Timthetoolman1
Add Mississippi to the list, there's a couple guys from there coming.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Timthetoolman1

Wow, what a small world in our community. Seems like a lot of people grew up and did RC together. Very cool.
Maybe next year John.

Tim
Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Timthetoolman1

One more week

There's 26 people signed up so far. Should be another 5 that will just show up.

Last edited by Timthetoolman1; 10-03-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Timthetoolman1

Weather is a little bad this weekend so we are going to meet up on Monday to get in some practice. The Corps locks the gates so you will need to contact me or one of the other members to get in the gate. I know there will be someone there Thursday and Friday too if you'd like to stop by.

If you would like to room with one of the other contestants let me know and I'll get you in touch with them.

PM me for contact information.

Tim
Old 10-13-2013, 02:30 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back from the SPA West Championships in Fort Worth at Thunderbird field. Just want to let everyone know that we had a great time. Good food, good flying, and a lot of good friends. I didn't place, but didn't need to because I had a blast. I did win a new O.S. Max .55 AX that was donated by Roy's Hobby Shop in Hurst, Tx. This was the last pattern meet of the season, now it's time to start planning and preparing for next season.

The CD's Ken Knotts and Gary Alphin with the help of Tim Reed and Dave Dingman really worked hard organizing the event. They had a lot of help with the rest of the crew which are too many to name here to make this event the success that it was.

Good Job guys. I'll be back next year for sure.

Frank
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Timthetoolman1

It was a great event. Ken, Gary, and Dave do a great job but the helpers are where the real story is at. Texas Wings members Billy, Gabe helped a lot and Terry helped with the pit boss duties. Thanks to all the judges that volunteered, I didn't get to meet all of you but I hope you enjoy the gift cards...oops, did I say that out loud? LOL! Just kidding.

Thanks to Leo at Klass Kote MO and Allen at Planet Hobby for donating the engine to these guys for their event so that I may be able to take home a NovaRossi 60F!!! Ha! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Leo, I'll get the info on the winner of the Klass Kote paint you donated...sorry, I was playing with my engine and the rest of the raffle was a blur...hehehe!
On that note, I did bring my Dirty Birdy with the Texas flag and the Klass Kote really shines in the sun even without a clear coat. I'm not quite finished with it but some guys wanted to see it so I brought it for show and tell between flights. I was asked to help with some finishes so looks like build night will continue!

Frank, thanks for coming out. Sorry you had technical problems the first day. I need to start bringing an extra plane too. I know Scott from Kansas had a good time.

Tim
Old 10-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Timthetoolman1

Group photo (again Robert...we took photos before the event...hehehe). We did loose one Dirty Birdy ARF to the tall trees. I think it was the bottom of a horizontal 8. All I heard was the sound of a large limb snapping...almost as bad as the sound of a car wreck.
We also had a bald eagle fly over. Everyone was too busy looking to take pictures but there are a pair that fly down to the lake each winter.

Tim
Old 10-15-2013, 12:40 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, me and my father-in-law had a blast, learned a lot to make my flying better and more enjoyable, and made a bunch new flying buddies.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Timthetoolman1

Ok, I promised Leo I'd post the NovaRossi photo after the event. That was before I realized it was me so with great regret...
Yes I know I was holding it upside down but I also was wearing my CPA shirt at an SPA event...LOL I wasn't happy about the photo but it was worth it to get the engine.

Last edited by Timthetoolman1; 10-15-2013 at 04:24 PM.