Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

On the hunt: Futaba 8JN parts.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 AM
Rendegade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the hunt: Futaba 8JN parts.

Hey all, Today I managed to aquire my first, and my fathers last radio. The big ol' futaba 8JN. For free!

There's only one catch, well, actually about 10.

It got dropped on it's face and it's broken both gimbals, and a number of the switches.

The switches aren't a problem, but finding working gimbals for a radio this old is going to be a problem.

Amoung other things, the antenna is broken, and it's lost it's back cover.

I'm on the scrouge for parts. Does anyone have an old wrecked JN that they might be able to buy for parts?

I'd really like to get this old girl back to showroom condition, and maybe give it to my dad who hasn't flown for nearly twenty years.

Cheers

Greg
Old 01-16-2014, 08:09 PM
DRCRAIG
My Feedback: (31)

Greg,
I have a 6J-H transmitter that has good gimbals.
What do you think the shipping to "down under"
would involve cost wise??
Craig
Old 01-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Rendegade

Craig, not sure but I'm, happy to pay whatever it costs, I just weighed the tx I have here, and it's 2.2lb (1kg) with the battery pack out of it.

I think the company I work for has a fed ex account, so I might be able to organise something.

WIll PM you when I know more.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Rendegade

Craig, check your PM's!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 PM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one of the first few 8JN's in the U.S. and always thought it was a really cool system for that day (about 1979). I used one for a "Field and Bench" review for Model Airplane News on the Revenger kit and for a column I wrote for Model Builder. Unfortunately, Futaba had issues with the rx on 72 mhz. (Don't know what freq you fly in Australia). No problem at that time on 6 meter band. Glitches with the 8JN were what motivated me to study for and pass the FCC exam to fly on the ham band. If you plan to actually fly the radio, you might want to check with Tony Stillman at Radio South about a tune up, or maybe a conversion to 2.4 Good luck!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:00 PM
cllaurit

i used an 8JN in the early 80's, replaced my Pro-line equipment with it.. Still own both the 8jn and the Pro-line stuff.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:27 PM
Rendegade

RCDENT, in australia the radios were set to 29mhz, and as far as I know, that band is still RC only.

It was a very stable radio the whole time I used it. The only crashes I had from it was when I froze at the sticks!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 PM
Rendegade

Poo! As it turns out, 29mhz has been reallocated to an ameteur radio frequency.

Looks like I'll be doing a frsky conversion if I want to use it.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:53 AM
cllaurit

Although it's been many years snce I used my 8jn I don't remember having any issues with it. I did have an interference issue on ch44 but that was everyone at the field as well. I did switch it over to FM at some point. I didn't like the gimbals all that much, coming from Pro-line I was spoiled and found them to be not as smooth.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 PM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No intent to bash Futaba or the 8JN. My experience was with a pre-production sample. They did have some issues on 72 MHz very early on with that radio. Worked great at the time on 6 meter band. Not wanting to quit flying my 8JN for 2-3 months as they worked out the problems, I decided to take the ham radio test and get on 6 meters legally. Had been thinking about that for some time prior, as it was always a pain waiting for my freq to open up. Never regretted the move. It was like being on 2.4 in the 1980's! I agree about the Pro Line sticks. I still have an operational Pro Line and Kraft Signature. Nothing else ever seems to quite measure up to those Chidgey-designed metal sticks!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:37 AM
cllaurit

If I remember correctly they also had issues with the control pots not returing to center but was eventually fixed.

73's
Old 01-26-2014, 06:41 PM
Johnkpap

Hi Rendegade,

I picked up one a while ago with faulty control buttons, If you pressed the "roll left" it would stay Left ....I traced the fault to the Cmos chips on the main board, I replaced
them both, and all worked fine.

According to th MAAA site 29 Mhz is still for model use, I have a 40mhz as well as a 29mhz module for mine.

I also moved the trim pots to match the sticks as I found having oposite trims very confusing It was a very easy fix just swap the conections, it is easy to undo If you wan't the weird trim config.

Johnkpap
Old 01-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Rendegade

John, wow, thanks for that, I wonder just how much noise is on 29mhz these days.

At this stage I have no idea what works and what doesn't, as I have no RX to go with it.

If i can dig up a 29mhz rx then I might be able to do some testing, but there are a few issues I have to deal with first.

Greg
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 PM
Johnkpap

Hi Greg

There was a thread a while ago on how to Retro fit a newer 36mhz module that may be a option

29mhz rx's turn up at swap meets (JR and Sanwa won't work), the other option is to put up a Wanted notice at your local club.

The hardest thing to find is a Pair of good 29mhz FM Xtals

Regards

Johnkpap