Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Help with setting up ys 61r long stroke

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Help with setting up ys 61r long stroke

Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 PM
samdimaio
My Feedback: (106)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with setting up ys 61r long stroke

Need help on initial engine set-up for ys61r rear exhaust long stroke installed in la-2:
  • recommended prop size range
  • glow plug
  • fuel mixture - nitro/oil content
  • pipe length as measured from glow plug to end of pipe, or to the first pipe baffle - using hatori 650 pipe
  • low speed setting

been running rear exhaust ys 60fr short strokes for some time but have no experience with the year exhaust ys61r long stroke engine
Old 04-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

These are my recommendations:

Standard YS 61R LS (Not AR version)

12x10 APC prop
OS #8 plug
YS 20/20 fuel...Needle 1 turn out + 3 clicks...
I'd start with 20.5" from the glow plug to the first baffle and shorten in 1/4" increments....You will probably see @ 10.5 - 11.0k max static rpm which is my personal target...(My pipe lengths normally wind up around 19.75"...I'm probably tuning a tad conservative but prefer not being on the "razors edge")
Low Speed = Regulator screw flush with body...If I adjust at all I go in 1/16" increments but try not to touch it...

Good Luck with your LA-2!! It's a fantastic airplane!!

Please post some pictures!!

P.S. For an AR version the only differences are 12x12 prop and 9.5-10.0k static RPM's...

Last edited by Atlanta 60; 04-11-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:16 PM
samdimaio
My Feedback: (106)

thank you, this is great info.! will send some pictures.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samdimaio View Post
thank you, this is great info.! will send some pictures.
I had much better performance using the Enya #3 plug. This plug is much hotter due to the increased platinum in the wire and will support a much richer mixture than the OS #8 which contributes to sudden flameouts.
The Hobby Shack Performance #3 plug is an Enya #3 replica and will work well if you can find them anymore.