Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

The Obscure and Amazing Groover 4 - 60 Sport/Pattern

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

The Obscure and Amazing Groover 4 - 60 Sport/Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Dave Swanson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Obscure and Amazing Groover 4 - 60 Sport/Pattern

This thread will introduce all of you to one of the most obscure pattern planes in existence. A plane that to me, has almost mystical qualities.

The Groover 4

The Groover was designed and refined over many years by my local RC modeling mentor Nathan Bast (deceased). His Groover had 4 generations. Each generation a refinement of the prior. All generations of the Groover were good flyers, but the 4th and final configuration was, and still is, an amazing plane; fast, very aerobatic, and tracked (grooved) like it was on rails! Knife edge performance was very important to Nathan. The Groover 4 in either the 60 or 40 size was and is capable of many consecutive knife edge loops with a good engine.

The Groover was known to only a small enclave enthusiastic devotees. I was among them and will always remember the day Nathan felt confident enough in my flying ability to let me fly his Groover. What an amazing experience that was! Pure RC nirvana! The Groover remained next to unknown. Nathan never joined the local clubs, but chose instead to fly from more private remote areas, therefore the limited audience.

Nathan was kind enough to share his plans with a few of us and 35 years ago during the Groover's heyday there would be 2 or 3 Groovers at the field.

Nathan is on the right giving his signature hand signal as if to say "having a great time"!

As some of you know I have been out of RC for 30 years. I had carefully stored away my precious Groovers all those years. Now that I am comfortable again with my flying skills I have been busy getting my Groover 4 -60 ready to fly.

This may be the only Groover 4 - 60 size in existence today, and making it even more special it was built by the man himself, Nathan! Nathan had given me a fuselage that had been crash damaged but was meticulously repaired by him. The next winter he needed help clearing snow from his driveway and I volunteered to keep it clear for him. At the end of the snow clearing season he gave me a brand new wing he had built over the winter unbeknownst to me. I was on cloud 9!

The focus on knife edge performance can be seen in these 2 photos.

The wonderful airfoil shape of the fuselage;

And the substantial sub tail fin and rudder;

The knife edge performance is also enhanced by Nathan's building techniques that kept it light. The total weight with all gear (less fuel) is 6 lbs 2 ozs.

I have gone through the Groover with a fine tooth comb. It has a new Spektrum 6 channel receiver, Hitec high voltage - digital servos, and a 2s 1300 Lipo receiver battery. I will be using my Kraft Signature Series transmitter converted to 2.4 by Cal Orr. A sweet setup!

The engine is an old OS 61FSR ABC that is still in great shape and fits like a glove.

Tomorrow morning will be a beautiful day for the maiden flight. I may have a beer with breakfast to settle my nerves!

Groover 4 -60 stats

Wingspan - 61.5 inches
Wing Area - 561 sq. inches
Aspect Ratio - 6.74 to 1
Ready To Fly Weight (less fuel) 6.1 lbs
Wing Weight (with servo) 1.75 lbs.
Engine 1982 vintage OS 61 FSR ABC

Last edited by Dave Swanson; 09-18-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:22 PM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Dave, great post. The Groover sounds awesome. Best wishes for the maiden flight !!!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:47 AM
CafeenMan

Can I have it? It's beautiful and I think I deserve it.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 AM
Dave Swanson

I am happy to report the maiden flight went well! I got in 5 good flights last night. The first flight my knees were knocking but by the third I was back to doing knife edge loops just like the old days! Thanks Nathan for all the great memories and one fantastic flying airplane!
Old 09-19-2016, 05:50 PM
Dave Swanson

Some pictures from this evenings session. Photos courtesy of my son, Kris.

We had the good luck of a rainbow!

Clawing upward after rotation

More knife edging!

Old 09-21-2016, 05:45 AM
CafeenMan

Congrats on the maiden!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:51 AM
Dave Swanson

Only Nathan and I at the field this day. I took Nat's Groover up and was putting it through the paces when I heard a brief flutter and saw 1/2 of the stab and elevator separate and float down. The Groover was still quite flyable in spite of the fact that the elevator control horn was on the side that flew off!! I eased the Groover back to the field and landed without incident.
Here is Nathan pointing to the stab and doing the circling "crazy" gesture with the other hand. A testimony to a well balanced plane if there ever was one!