Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Super tiger X-61 Rear exhaust info needed

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Super tiger X-61 Rear exhaust info needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM
ehsanmorshedi

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Super tiger X-61 Rear exhaust info needed

Hi all
I recently took three NIB super tiger x-61 rear exhaust engines from a local modeler with an unbelievable price of 60 dollars each. And one extra carb for 40 $.

all of them own a small straight header.

I do not have the original ST tuned pipe but have a 50400 novarossi and a MVVS 61 pipe.

do these pipes work?

any other info on these engines such as the prop choice and the fuel mixture... helps.

Regards
Ehsan

Old 06-10-2019, 04:17 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Ehsan,
Wow, $60 apiece, what a great deal. Those pipes should work fine. Super Tigres are pretty friendly when it comes to fuel mixture. You could probably run FAI fuel %80 methanol and %20 oil, but I would probably run %3 nitro. Anything from %5 to 15% will work well and you can increase the nitro up to about %25 to get a performance boost, but probably not worth the expense. Prop choice will depend on the airplane but on the smaller end of the spectrum an 11x7 or 11x8 will scream on a pipe length of about 14.25 to 14.5 inches from the plug to the first pipe baffle. That engine could probably run a prop up to 13x7 or even 13x8 with the pipe pulled out to about 18" from plug to first pipe baffle. You may have top experiment a little, but if you are blowing glow-plugs the pipe is probably too short. You should be able to get 50 to 70 flights on a plug. I run %15 nitro fuel with 18% all synthetic oil and %67 methanol with great success and engine longevity. I run K&B 1L glow plugs.
I hope this helps. ST engines are very well made and should last a long time. Any plans for the airplane(s) to put them in?
-Will
Old 06-10-2019, 08:17 PM
ehsanmorshedi

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Will, I was looking for the airfoils of Dr. Jekyll.
Mike McConville’s Desire or Andy Nicholls’ Illusion are my favorites also.
I hope this engines be powerful enough.
any offer would be appreciated.

Ehsan

Last edited by ehsanmorshedi; 06-10-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:51 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Ehsan,
those are all very large 60 sized pattern ships developed at the end of the '60' era. I built and flew a Desire which was powered with a Hanno Special. Honestly, I would reduce the size by about 5% for your engines, maybe a little more. I felt my Desire was marginally powered and it was all monokote and weighed just over 8 pounds.
You can down load the Desire plans here: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5966
The Dr Jeckyll was a 120 sized design, but the 60 sized Jeckyll was really ideal for a YS 91
Regards,
Will