Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

First Ever Comprehensive History Book on Pattern

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

First Ever Comprehensive History Book on Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default First Ever Comprehensive History Book on Pattern

Was in Italy last week and it was announced that a book was published on the history of F3A. Wow. I got one of these books (20e) and probably spent 2 hours every evening reading through it. The 1-inch thick, 272 page book was published through the FIAM (Italian equivalent to the AMA) and was released for sale as part of an official program at the 2019 F3A world championships. It is a MUST read for the pattern enthusiast and RC enthusiast. I'm not sure how to secure one now, but several folks have asked how to order one....

The book spans 1960 through 2019 and documents ho

w RC Pattern drove innovation from the very beginnings of RC. From Dr. Walt Good flying his rudder bug at the 1960 worlds, along side Ed Kazmirski... to the disruption of proportional radio control and the introduction of maneuvers like the slow roll into pattern... to the next major disruption documenting the introduction of turnaround back in the 1980's. Shows evolution of maneuvers, model plans, some (to me) unknown innovations and new technologies introduced through pattern over the decades.

Great read!
Old 08-18-2019, 11:29 PM
bem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great.
Let us know if You find out how to order this book.

/Bo
Old 08-19-2019, 02:43 AM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
if it has an ISBN number you can order it for any bookshop I think (if its in Stock from where its produce)
Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I gotta have one!!!
Rune is absolutely right about the ISBN#, but any publisher information would be helpful.
Thanks Don!

PS. I understand there were some normalization anomalies and some pilots suffered as a result (I believe Joseph would have made the finals). A bit disappointing, but Joseph should feel proud of a very impressive performance!
-Will
Old 08-19-2019, 06:54 PM
Don Szczur

I did not see an ISBN# on the book, but I do have a personalized inside cover signature from Franco!

I am doing some checking, as several folks asked me about how to order one. I bet the AMA museum/publications bookstore would be worth to stock some copies. I imagine they would go like hotcakes between now and WC 2021.

Cheers,
Don
Old 08-20-2019, 10:23 AM
n1369e

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually got to hold and look at Don’s copy this past weekend. It is every bit as interesting and filled with pictures. What a great discovery. I wanted Don’s copy, but he just smiled and said “afraid not”.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:45 AM
gghisleri

E mail to [email protected]
Old 08-21-2019, 12:11 PM
bem

I just e-mailed on this e-mail now and we will see what happen. I will let You know.
/Bo
Old 08-22-2019, 04:34 AM
bem

OK,
I got answer from [email protected]

She has the book, and I suggest You get Yourself Paypal and then she can easily receive payment for the book + shipping cost.
So include Your postal address also in mail to her when ordering the book so she can try to calculate shipping cost.
The book itself cost 20 Euro (€ 20).

Paola Battaini is secretary F.I.A.M. (Fabbrica Italiana Associazioni Modellistiche).

regards,
Bo
Old 08-22-2019, 05:43 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Bo! I sent the email and hopefully will be able to order the book shortly.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:40 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flywilly
Thanks Bo! I sent the email and hopefully will be able to order the book shortly.
Keep us posted.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:42 PM
SALAFranco

Originally Posted by Don Szczur
I did not see an ISBN# on the book, but I do have a personalized inside cover signature from Franco!

I am doing some checking, as several folks asked me about how to order one. I bet the AMA museum/publications bookstore would be worth to stock some copies. I imagine they would go like hotcakes between now and WC 2021.

Cheers,
Don
============
Hi Don. I am Franco SALA the author of the book.
I have only gathered all the information available on the graphs of the programs and the consequent updating of the models and radios.
You believe that the museum publications / AMA may want some copies.
In this case I could talk to the publisher to send some copies.
Let me know. Thank you
Franco
The following users liked this post:
Chad H (06-08-2021)
Old 09-07-2019, 04:16 AM
Don Szczur

Franco,

Last weekend I was interviewed by the AMA and mentioned the book. The AMA museum historian will be contacting Paola for a copy, but I will let him know of your information as well when I can.

THANK YOU for putting together the book. It generates discussion and interest wherever I show it.

Don
Old 09-26-2019, 03:04 AM
bem

Hi,
My book is on its way to me now from Italy to Sweden. Shipping cost was 30 Euro so total cost was 50 Euro (of that the book itself 20 Euro).
I will post again when the book has arrived to me.
/Bo
Old 09-28-2019, 09:46 AM
andydallas
My Feedback: (2)

My book is on the way to Dallas, got an email last week saying it should be here in 4 weeks
Old 10-04-2019, 03:51 AM
bem

Hi,
I got my book now, it took about a week after I payed to the Paypal mailadress that is used in this case.
Large book, in A4 format.
Text is in both Italian and English.
The author, Franco Sala, has made a great effort to have this book written. He writes in the book he wished to describe everything in greater detail.
But of course one has to draw a line how detailed such book can be depending how much time is avaliable before it must be finished, purpose etc.
It seems the author had not that much time to write the book, it had a deadline to be ready for the World Championships F3A 2019, in Italy, Aug 1-11.
There is still room for anyone that dare to write a F3A history "bible" in great detail I suppose.
But as the author say, it had not been any attempt to write a historybook similar to this one before.
The book title is "World Championship F3A Aerobatics from the beginings to present Days, 1960-2019".
272 pages.
This book is in a series in FIAM library:
2010: the first book was about "100 years of flying models" (a history of aeromodelling in Italy
2013: the second book "Flying in Circle" (Control line).
2019; the third book "World Championship F3A Aerobatics from the beginings to present Days, 1960-2019".

The author seems to have tracked all flight Schedules that has been used during history of F3A, that is nice to see in this book, and some may try to fly some of the old Schedules I'm sure. It was also interesting to know when FAI shifted name from RC-1 to F3A, it was in 1969 according to this book (page 51).
It is probably some details that is not correct in this book, for example I saw one section of WC 2013 in this book (page 175) where the 6 pilots and their plane, radio, motor is listed. It say Christophe Paysant Le-Roux won with Axiome Evo aircraft at this WC 2013, but it was actually with Galactik plane he won (the photo on this page 175 where Christophe has two Galactik models is correct). No big deal, just a small detail I discovered when quickly reading the book today.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 10-04-2019 at 03:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:16 AM
Anthonyhamon

Hm, I'm from Italy, strange that until now I didn't know about this book.
Old 04-27-2023, 10:59 AM
DianaParsonsD

Originally Posted by bem
Hi,
I got my book now, it took about a week after I payed to the Paypal mailadress that is used in this case.
Large book, in A4 format.
Text is in both Italian and English.
The author, Franco Sala, has made a great effort to have this book written. He writes in the book he wished to describe everything in greater detail.
But of course one has to draw a line how detailed such book can be depending how much time is avaliable before it must be finished, purpose etc.
It seems the author had not that much time to write the book, it had a deadline to be ready for the World Championships F3A 2019, in Italy, Aug 1-11.
There is still room for anyone that dare to write a F3A history "bible" in great detail I suppose.
But as the author say, it had not been any attempt to write a historybook similar to this one before.
The book title is "World Championship F3A Aerobatics from the beginings to present Days, 1960-2019".
272 pages.
This book is in a series in FIAM library:
2010: the first book was about "100 years of flying models" (a history of aeromodelling in Italy
2013: the second book "Flying in Circle" (Control line).
2019; the third book "World Championship F3A Aerobatics from the beginings to present Days, 1960-2019".

The author seems to have tracked all flight Schedules that has been used during history of F3A, that is nice to see in this book, and some may try to fly some of the old Schedules I'm sure. It was also interesting to know when FAI shifted name from RC-1 to F3A, it was in 1969 according to this book (page 51).
It is probably some details that is not correct in this book, for example I saw one section of WC 2013 in this book (page 175) where the 6 pilots and their plane, radio, motor is listed. It say Christophe Paysant Le-Roux won with Axiome Evo aircraft at this WC 2013, but it was actually with Galactik plane he won (the photo on this page 175 where Christophe has two Galactik models is correct). No big deal, just a small detail I discovered when quickly reading the book today.

/Bo
wow