Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

60's/70's Pattern Ships

Old 07-27-2002, 03:58 PM
DerFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60's/70's Pattern Ships

Gentlemen,

I have a couple of older 60 size engines (ST G60 Bluehead, Webra Blackhead, HB 61 PDP) which I'd like to see in ships of the same era.

Stumbling through a plans listing I have found Joe Bridi's Kaos from 1970 and Phil Kraft's Kwik Fli in original and Mk. III version, the original being the 1967 world champs victor.

Have also found Wolfgang Matt's Super Star from 1969 but must admit I am less keen on the "forward canopy" style which later found its way to Curare and co. type designs.

So gents, your comments and suggestions please! Any other contenders? How do these designs fly? Other considerations?

With thanks,
Old 07-27-2002, 11:03 PM
tomgtv6
My Feedback: (1)

I am doing the same thing except I have a Kraft radio collection. My picks are the kwik Fli so I can have my all Kraft plane,engine radio and plane. ANd maybe a Sun fli from Bridi just because you can still get it as a kit. I fly a Bridi utter Kaos .40 and it is wonderful to fly so i can recomend that plane for sure and it is still a kit. For one of my Kraft radios I have a Super Fli kit ,the homebuilt of Phil Kraft and I also have a Ugly stick with a kraft radio in it too. Tom
Old 07-29-2002, 10:10 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Default Matt SuperStar

Der Fly,

Where did you find plans for Wolfgang Matt's aircraft of that vintage? I would be interested in finding a set for myself...

The RCM ( Radio Control Modeler ) magazine still lists plans for pattern airplanes of the type you are looking for-
has designs from Norway, Sweden, Italy, South Africa- check RCM's website, they now have online photo listings of all their plans.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 07-29-2002, 10:47 PM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kwik Fli I

I recently got a plan on Ebay for a Kwik Fli I. I was tempted to modify the tail so it would be like the later series but wasn't sure how to do it and be authentic. I wanted to fly this in Senior Pattern Association events. It only took two days to scratch build this plane. Only deviation was to mount two servos in the wing, one for each aileron as is the current style. Worked great for those big ailerons. This plane looks and flys fantastic. I am thinking about framing up 3 more to sell ready to cover, it really flies good.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:03 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

I never hear anyone talk about the Phoenix series of Pattern. I had a Phoenix 5 when they came out and now just got a Phoenix 6 but damaged, I will try and fix it.
At that time I had an OS 60 Black Head.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:24 AM
DerFly

Scott,

All these plans come from a German plans listing (where I live at the moment) so most of Wolfgang Matt's designs are present. Nearly all Hanno Prettner plans can be had too!

If you are interested, I can copy the pages and send you the ordering information, snail mail would be easiest for me!

Aerografixs,

Never heard of the Phoenix. What is it? Who designed it?

Here is one of the engines, beautiful, no?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19438_5585.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	12088  
Old 07-30-2002, 10:00 AM
rudderbug-RCU

Default Super Tigre Bluehead

I have a Phoenix 5 and a 6. I would be interested in your ST Bluehead if it is of the G-60 case. The G-60, (61), had a 3 piece crankcase. Thanks. [email protected]
Old 07-30-2002, 10:46 AM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by DerFly
Scott,

All these plans come from a German plans listing (where I live at the moment) so most of Wolfgang Matt's designs are present. Nearly all Hanno Prettner plans can be had too!

If you are interested, I can copy the pages and send you the ordering information, snail mail would be easiest for me!

Aerografixs,

Never heard of the Phoenix. What is it? Who designed it?

Here is one of the engines, beautiful, no?
The Phoenix series was a designed by Don Lowe and has won many championships in the 70's and 80' . It is a beautifully designed ship which was very appealing to the eye also.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:44 AM
DerFly

Default G60

Rudderbug,

The G60 is the later three piece crankcase, blue head, PDP ported and also ABC p/l. Has the original ST flow through muffler (doesn't muffle), also have the original finned ST header, sliding coupler and tuned pipe which is what I use with it.

I too am interested in it, so sorry, not for sale. Keep checking ebay, they turn up once in a while!
Old 07-31-2002, 01:01 PM
Matt-RCU

Bridi is still selling his 70's 80's pattern ships. (.60 size)
Old 08-05-2002, 09:28 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I'd love to get a Phoenix 5 kit. I've got kits for a 7 and an 8, however I'm not that keen on the 8. But I'll love the 7!
Old 08-05-2002, 11:14 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by TonyF
I'd love to get a Phoenix 5 kit. I've got kits for a 7 and an 8, however I'm not that keen on the 8. But I'll love the 7!
Tony, I have the 5 kit, what do you not like about the 8, wasn't this the last one by Don Lowe?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:47 PM
TonyF

Roger,

I have nothing against the 8, it's just that my first real pattern model was a 6, which was a crummy kit. The 7 was basically an improved 6, made by Dave Scully in a great epoxyglass fuse. The 8 came out at the same time as the Tiporare, and I just preferred the way the Tipo's flew. The 8 is still a great looking and flying model. I have a fuse and cores for an 8, so maybe some day I'll build it.

Want to part with that 5 kit? Is it a Skyglass kit?
Old 08-06-2002, 03:38 PM
Forgues Research

Roger,

I have nothing against the 8, it's just that my first real pattern model was a 6, which was a crummy kit. The 7 was basically an improved 6, made by Dave Scully in a great epoxyglass fuse. The 8 came out at the same time as the Tiporare, and I just preferred the way the Tipo's flew. The 8 is still a great looking and flying model. I have a fuse and cores for an 8, so maybe some day I'll build it.

Want to part with that 5 kit? Is it a Skyglass kit?
Tony, I would consider parting with it only in an exchange for your 8 maybe.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:05 PM
TTARK

I am interested in the Kwik-Fli plans could your please provide ordering information. My E-Mail address is [email protected]

Thanks
Terry Tarkington
Old 08-06-2002, 09:08 PM
TonyF

Roger,

I'd be happy to trade, but to be clear, what I have is a fuse, wing and stab cores, and I believe the belly pan. I have no plans or instructions, though you may be able to get them elsewhere. Let me know if you're still interested.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:10 PM
Forgues Research

Roger,

I'd be happy to trade, but to be clear, what I have is a fuse, wing and stab cores, and I believe the belly pan. I have no plans or instructions, though you may be able to get them elsewhere. Let me know if you're still interested.
Tony,
Lets continue offline.
[email protected]
Old 09-03-2002, 10:37 PM
gimpy55-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Default older pattern planes

HI
I traded for a Great Planes Tippo recently date on plans in 82 can
anyone tell me a little about it and what they might be worth plane has glass fuses foam wing sheeted and glassed over only thing left to do is mount the alerons rudder and elevator install retracts which are there, plane has been painted white and elevator alerons and rudder are in primer, please help as none I have talked to around here knows anything about it.
Thanks Much
Gimpy
[email protected]
Old 12-10-2002, 08:28 PM
SeismicCWave

I ordered the Kwik Fli 3 plan from Model Airplane News.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:29 AM
kdheath

Default Re: older pattern planes

Originally posted by gimpy55
HI
anyone tell me a little about it and what they might be worth plane has glass fuses foam wing sheeted and glassed over only thing left to do is mount the alerons rudder and elevator install retracts which are there, plane has been painted white and elevator alerons and rudder are in primer, please help as none I have talked to around here knows anything about it.
Thanks Much
Gimpy
[email protected]
The Tiporare was a development of the Prettner Curare. Not sure whose idea it was first, but Dick Hansen in Utah worked on/kitted/developed the Tipo, and a larger turnaround version called the Hippo Tippo. Maybe TonyF knows more detail about it and where the Dave Brown planes fit in the picture. Tony?
Old 01-02-2003, 12:15 AM
747-RCU
My Feedback: (22)

Can anyone post a picture of Phoenix 7. I was approached by a club member to buy the 7, can't wait till next week, so a look at the picture would be nice.
Thanks
Maqsood
Old 01-02-2003, 01:19 AM
Old RC Aviator

Default Re: older pattern planes

Originally posted by gimpy55
HI
Thanks Much
Gimpy
[email protected]
Hi Gimpy55,
I have a Tippo and it is a beautiful flying plane. Mine has a Rossi 60 with tuned pipe. Good vertical and tracks straight as an arrow. The only problem I have had is the retracts. Make sure you use Rhom or Spring air. Mechanicals are a nightmare if not new and set up properly.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:22 AM
big max 1935

You boys want some thing a little different I have NOS Pulsar bipe kit .Norm Casilla & Art Schroeder used to give the one winger boys a run with these!! Looking at a 1974 Tower catalog & they show following ,Kaos,Super Kaos,Banshee, Nutcracker, Mark V Eyeball,Troublemaker,Jet Star,Vega,Hunter & Super Hunter II,Delux & Standard Tiger Tail,Delux & Standard Sweettater & at end Kwik-Fli III. Bet these jog your memories!! big max 1935
Old 01-03-2003, 01:41 AM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Default Engines and airplanes

Gentlemen,
I was looking through this thread and seen the picture of the Webra 61. Looks like the Webra that saids Webra 10 ccm on the side. What size is it.
Also picked up 2 kraft Radios a Pro Line and JR Century Seven.
I used to Fly with Kraft Radios and Lots of Quick Fly I.
Build one from Plans when I started flying again.
I have one of Jerry Nelsons planes hanging on the wall also.
Jim
Old 01-03-2003, 05:02 AM
big max 1935

rcflyerf1: That is a .60 or real close to .61, manufactures seem to round off when cubic inches .Webra first made Black Head then went to the Speed. Both good for the time & I think just stopped making the loop scavenged one not too long ago. big max 1935

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.