Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Kaos Historical Association (and Chaos too!)

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Kaos Historical Association (and Chaos too!)

Old 08-08-2006, 08:41 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kaos Historical Association (and Chaos too!)

8178, with a model like that you can wear whatever shirt you want. Were those functioning control surface cables? You showed us a pic of your F-86 so I already knew you were an incredible scale modeler.

Oh yes, Desert boots. I went through a few pair. And Dingos.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:06 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rainedav

Were those functioning control surface cables?
Yes, the walking beam was connected to the back seat pilot control stick and the ailerons used a scale cable setup too.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 AM
RCBuilder42yrs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't help but smile as I looked at the picture of you in the 70's. Looks like me back then but with a bit longer hair than you. But we are talking Kaos Pattern Ships. I'm a Joe Bridi Junkie, I flew the Sun Fly IV then progressed to the Kaos fixed gear with a loop scavenged .60 in the nose originally with only a Baffle over the Exhaust so the engine would idle. then we had to start flying with a muffler and I loved the Ole "FLOW THRU" mufflers then in the late 70's Joe published in RCM(Still available but slow in shipping) the SUPER KAOS with retracts still loop scavaged motors with muffler. I built one just like Joe's, Red/White and outlined in black. Flew that plane for at least 7 or 8 yrs. I had Rom-air Retracts I even had a Door engineered to cover the Nose gear once retracted. I still remember hearing that 'Twang' as the Rom-air retracts would 'pop' out of the wing and nose. Then I built another KAOS had me a WEBRA Speed .61 in the nose with a pipe down the side run over the wing.BTW by then I had learned the Technique of Foam Wings, much quicker way to build a wing. Sometime in there Joe published the KAOS .40 in RCM. My old flying buddy and I split the cost of the plans, which was all of $7 or $8 bux at the time and we became a KAOS .40 working machine, we were both hard up for money so we used the 40 size to practice with as it was more economical on fuel. We used foam wings and covered them with Poster Board (cardboard) which made again, the cost of building the model down to almost nothing. CAN'T tell you how many of the RCM "Advanced Trainers" .60 Size(Also Joe's Design) that I have built over the years, I used to build 5 or 6 around NOVEMBER and would hang them in the LHS for sale for Christmas presents,(This was LONG before the 'ARF' invasion we have today) then would usually get to teach the "fledgling" R/C pilot how to fly with a plane I built! So I never had to wonder if it was built straight and true!

For those who are 60ish in age, you will remember that Joe was in my humble opinion a true modelers designer. His planes were mainly all balsa built up and were "BOXY" in design which helped all us build them straight and we used triangle stock in the corners to get a more rounded look. I would be curious to know if Joe is still alive. I had the pleasure of meeting Joe at the Nats one year and later talking to him on the phone about a 'hair brain' idea I had about building a Swept wing KAOs. I did build it but I learned a very important lesson about the M.A.C. and CG on Swept wings from that 15 second flight! ! Oh and my last verbiage here, all the "REAL GURU's" of pattern flying back then, Joe Bridi, Phil Kraft, Dean Krause, Jim Oddino, Ron Chidney, Don Coleman and Many MORE that I can't think of, painted their airplanes, Monokote was NOT in vogue back then. Many skills which I still possess today were learned building the old Pattern Ships and flying off grass runways!

Sorry for this long trip down memory lane, you guys just sparked my memory and the fingers went wild!

RCBuilder42yrs
AMA-#265
SPA-#280
IMAA-#FS50
Old 08-11-2006, 10:42 AM
edygert
My Feedback: (12)

I really appreciate all those that expressed interest in this project. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough people to justify the time required to make it work. Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

How large of a response were expecting to have and other than the discussions about the models on RC Universe, what direction were you expecting this special interest group to go?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:14 PM
rainedave

Why not just request a Kaos Sticky at the top of the Classic Pattern forum. People could post pics of their Kaoi and have an ongoing discussion about flying experiences, mods, etc. Stickies function like sub-forums in some of the other for forums at RCU, like the way the 1/2A forum Stickies do, for example. It's just an idea.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

This works for me too.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:55 AM
edygert

I don't know what kind of response Rick was looking for. He wanted to do this in a newsletter format because he does not use a computer very much. I was just interested in helping him out (because of my personal interest in the Kaos) and providing some free web space if he also wanted to do it on the web. I like the idea of a Kaos Sticky but have never created a Sticky before. I'll figure out how to do it and create one.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:12 AM
rainedave

edygert, PM EXCAP232. He's the moderator for this forum. I think it's something only he can do with his admin privileges.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:17 AM
edygert

I just did. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:06 PM
beefcake78

So did anyone get ahold of Joe Bridi?
Old 11-05-2006, 01:27 PM
edygert

There weren't enough people interested in a newsletter so the idea was dropped.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:41 AM
BIGRICH

Hi Don;
I had a tire blowout on my 1966 Calienty in 1968 in Placerville. I think the temperature was about 110. I haven't been back since. LOL.
I have a picture of my Super Kaos 60 in the photo gallery.
BIGRICH
Old 12-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Jim B
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have number 7 kaos sixty on the board right now. Seems like i have building these ( mostly from scratch, i have one old kit i use for templates) most of my life. The super is much better looking, but you can't beat the regular kaos with a reliable .61 in the nose for an all round after work airplane. Anybody needs any questions answered i'll do my best to answer them. Built my first one at age 17!
Jim B.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:11 PM
rainedave

Jim, have you ever built a thicker, slightly airfoiled stab on one? I've heard that a thicker tail can negotiate the turbulence from that thick wing better and reduce wagging at higher speeds.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Jim B
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rainedave,
I always try to airfoil at least the elevators. It does help alot with eliminating the "quick fly dance" at high speeds. It also seems to help with very low speed inverted flight.
Jim B.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Paternguy

I built an Ultimate Kaos several years ago that had a stab from a Dirty Birdy. The plane flew great and did not have the tail wag issue. The plane only lasted 1.5 seasons, it suffered from the same issue that other Utter Kaos' had, the fuse split at the wing saddle, where the fuse sides were joined. The only problem was is mine did it in flight, not on landing as most others I saw.