Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 04:16 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I got the horizontal stabilizer and elevator done. Some sanding and shaping required. I'll do that during spare time as the build progresses. Now I need to clean my workstation and layout my fuselage plan. BTW, that furniture plastic film wrap worked good. I'll keep using it to protect the plan. Next will be a quick build of the vertical stabilizer and rudder. Then start on the fuselage. I'll keep some weight on these parts to keep them flat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	540.4 KB
ID:	2247660  
Old 12-16-2017, 03:09 PM
ETpilot

Vertical stabilizer and rudder done. It also needs sanding and shaping. The TE on stab is a strip of poplar. Since it is a hardwood I pre drilled it for the hinge points. Easier to drill as a strip wood on my drill press than drill it after it is all assembled and glued. The TE on the rudder is hard balsa. Both those pieces should help keep a straight vertical stab and rudder. I had some mice get into my balsa wood supply. The 2 pieces lower left shows the damage. They only gnawed on a few pieces. I saved the good parts. Now for the fuselage fun.

With Christmas and all I may slow down on the build. I really need to address my balsa storage. I have a plan and may see if I address the balsa storage before continuing.

Views:	172
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2247859  
Old 12-17-2017, 01:03 AM
Mazeppa1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kaos'er in the making

Go, ETpilot, go.

I recently obtained a 60 size Super Kaos built from a short kit than can be obtained at the Balsa Workbench.
If interested you'll have to google for it, I can't post URL's yet.
My Kaos is in fact the poster child plane for the listing in his website. Guy's name is Rob Reynolds,

I got to talking to him about tiring of ARF's, wanting to build and whined enough about not having time to do so
that he offered to sell me his Kaos sans equipment and I took him up on it.

Before Rob got to talking up the Kaos, they were not on my "want to have" radar. I found this thread after I bought the plane.
I'm glad I listened to him already.
When I was learning to fly full scale in the 70's, my Instructor was teaching about the preflight ritual. I said, "Hey, I don't know anything
about airplanes, how do I know if something is wrong?". I've not forgotten his reply; "If it looks wrong, it probably is. If it looks right, it probably is."

This Kaos looks very right.

Power will be from an Irvine .61 Sport, will start with an 11x8 APC prop.
More to come.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:46 AM
Falcon6667

Originally Posted by rainedave
Thank you, EXCAP232. I think this will prove a popular and useful thread.

Although not strickly a Kaos - unless you want to call the Kaos a Sun Fli Mk V - I'm finishing up a 36" 1/2A Sun Fli IV. So here's a pic. I can email plans.
Thats a good looking plane, If I were to build one it would get a Eletrick.
Are you planning on gear? or just belly it in?
My last patern build was a sun fly 4 was, You do know it was Bridies favorite plane.(I saw that some place )thats why I built it.
Good luck with you 1/2 pint.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:05 AM
ETpilot

Mazeppa1 thanks.

Welcome to the Kaos fun thread. As you can see from the views this is a very popular airplane. I wanted one many decades ago but never got one. I gave up on RC and followed my general aviation interest.

Now fast forward to present time I got back into RC mid-2014. Slowly giving up on general aviation. I've been scratch building all my planes. Just draw the lines I need then do my thing building. This will be my 6th model build. Actually 7 airplanes as I totaled one and built another. I have 2 new kits but not sure when I will get to them.

Post pictures of your build and keep us all informed. Have fun building.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:18 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

I had a problem with mice getting into some kits I'd stored in the upper part of the garage. Someone suggested mothballs so I gave it a try. Mothballs won't kill mice (unfortunately) but they do make them move somewhere else. It seems to have worked as I've had no more damaged balsa (or kit boxes) in the six or seven years since I started using them. However have caught a few mice in traps at the bottom of the garage in that time and there were signs of them in the wood pile. A year or so ago, a couple of cats adopted our yard and now there are no signs anywhere of mice or rats!
Old 12-17-2017, 10:37 AM
ETpilot

Two years ago I had this bad boy creating havoc in my hangar. It took a while to get him. He defeated all my attempts. Then I read somewhere to set trap parallel to a wall. He was then doomed.

I used to have cats. Unfortunately they have all gone to cat heaven. Now I have dogs. All they do is sleep and eat. But they are lovable. Lol.

My mice problems have extended to my tractor. The love gnawing on electrical wires. I just had to rewire my instrument panel. Third time they have hit me. I'm trying dryer sheets to see if that will keep them away. To early to tell if it is working.

Views:	60
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	2247959  
Old 12-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Mazeppa1

I'm in for sharing the planet with all God's creatures UNTIL they start chewing up my airplanes.

Then, it's no more Mr. Nice Guy.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Default mice and planes

I live in southeastern Connecticut so we get cold winters and the little mice just love to come inside and chew up wires. They got into an electric powered glider that I had hanging on the wall downstairs. Little buggers chewed a hole througghthe side and got in. They chewed all the servo wires up to the cases then chewed the antenna off my Spektrum rx it had to be the amplified one of course. After that they moved on to the ESC and chew both the battery leads off and 2 of 3 motor leads. I finally got the hungry little mouse but then I found them inside the leading edge of a Nobler control line stunter and inside my A-6 Intruder pattern plane. Didn't damage any wiring or any serious damage on either of those but not for lack of trying. Out in the garage they ate the wires off my fuel gauge first so I used the trip meter for 1 year but the following year they ate the fuel pump wire. Had to get towed to the garage and get it fixed.
I HATE Mice!!
Old 12-18-2017, 04:12 AM
ETpilot

Mad Man Marko that is one big problem you have. I know what it is like, a constant battle. I've had them in my barn, garage and workshop. I set those sticky pads close to points of entry. I've caught a few that way. Good luck with your battle.

Ants are a problem too. When I first moved here my AC went out. I opened up the outside unit and found all kind of dead ants in the control panel and a bunch in the contactor. The switch was inoperative due to all the ants. A little vacuuming and cleaning and all was good to go. Now I make sure there are no ants near my outside unit.

Then there are moles, gophers and wasps, been hit by a few of those. They all make your life interesting.

One mother of all problems we have here in Texas is wild hogs. Very destructive and dangerous too. I had to build a trap and start trapping whenever they show up. This year they hit my RC runway that I maintain. I'm up to 9 trapped, so far, this year. Here are some of those nasty critters.

I guess each area of the country has their particular problem. Sorry for off topic rant.

Views:	63
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2248014  
Old 12-19-2017, 05:10 PM
ETpilot

The last 2 days have been rainy. The last of the rain should pass thru tonight. I managed to get some build time in. I'm also working on my balsa storage fix.

I have to give credit to Tom Clark. He no longer is active on the forums. I build similar to his style. Draw lines and put it together. He is an old timer, scratch and stick builder and more experienced. He built a Kaos. I am tagging along following some of his techniques. We build similar but different at the same time.

Views:	67
Size:	605.2 KB
ID:	2248152  
Old 12-20-2017, 06:01 AM
Skyhawk940

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good to see other oldtimers that like to build from sticks. I think it's a dying art. I remember in my younger days, getting a money order, mailing an order in and waiting for weeks before the KIT arrived in the mail. Then, all of the wood sheets would just be printed with shapes. Before die cutting/crushing.

Skyhawk
Old 12-20-2017, 06:15 AM
ETpilot

Stick building can be fun. Challenging. It gets the thinking process going.

Views:	61
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	2248182  
Old 12-20-2017, 09:46 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Great Kaos there ET. Yup, stick building is a big part of why I am in this hobby. I used the excuse of not having time as to why I had ARFS and ready to fly electrics, and then totally lost interest in the hobby because I found I enjoyed the creating and building.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Mazeppa1

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Mad Man Marko that is one big problem you have. I know what it is like, a constant battle. I've had them in my barn, garage and workshop. I set those sticky pads close to points of entry. I've caught a few that way. Good luck with your battle.

Ants are a problem too. When I first moved here my AC went out. I opened up the outside unit and found all kind of dead ants in the control panel and a bunch in the contactor. The switch was inoperative due to all the ants. A little vacuuming and cleaning and all was good to go. Now I make sure there are no ants near my outside unit.

Then there are moles, gophers and wasps, been hit by a few of those. They all make your life interesting.

One mother of all problems we have here in Texas is wild hogs. Very destructive and dangerous too. I had to build a trap and start trapping whenever they show up. This year they hit my RC runway that I maintain. I'm up to 9 trapped, so far, this year. Here are some of those nasty critters.

I guess each area of the country has their particular problem. Sorry for off topic rant.
Okay, so let's get this back on topic.
Do I see the guests of honor for the BBQ you're going to throw in celebration of a successful Kaos maiden?
Old 12-20-2017, 03:19 PM
ETpilot

Mazeppa1 that sounds like a good plan. Kaos maiden flight then a wild hog BBQ. I'm in. When I lived in Florida I flew to a wild hog BBQ. You could park your plane and walk to the BBQ site. Never did I imagine that wild hogs would, one day, be visiting me. Lol. The hogs pictured were given to a neighbor. He does the cooking and gives me my share.

Scottrc I know what you mean about building. It can be an addiction. With the Kaos I will have 5 airplanes to maiden. 2018 will be my year of the maiden. I just need to fly a bit more to feel comfortable to do the maiden flights.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:19 AM
ETpilot

Happy Holidays to all!

For the fuselage sides you need 2 of each. Best to stack the wood and make one cut. Then everything matches. I cut just outside the line then sand down to the line. The wing cutout may need more sanding once the wing is built. I hope all this works out. Lol.

Views:	52
Size:	532.9 KB
ID:	2248450  
Old 12-23-2017, 08:48 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Doesn't the right side have to be a bit shorter to build in the right thrust?
Old 12-23-2017, 09:22 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Doesn't the right side have to be a bit shorter to build in the right thrust?

Interesting that you are addressing right thrust. Just this morning I was researching down and right thrust. The Kaos 60 shows 3*R n 3*D. Super Kaos just 2* D. Kaos 90 is 0-0. Killer n Ultimate just 2* down.

So I may go 1* down as this one will be a 72” fuselage. Still thinking on it. Open to any input on this.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:57 PM
ETpilot

Not a very good picture. This is a large airplane. Build moving along. Picture thumbnail upside down but should open normal. I hope.

Views:	52
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2248519  
Old 12-24-2017, 05:41 AM
Skyhawk940

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Kaos 90 offset is 0/0. Wasn't sure how it would work out, but it works fine. After trimming out, all the surfaces are true. Only have a few flights, but it sure flies nice.

Skyhawk
Old 12-24-2017, 06:15 AM
ETpilot

Thanks Skyhawk. Between the Killer at 2* D and the 90 at 0* D, I thought I'd split the difference and go with 1* D and 0* R. I'll know when I get there. Merry Christmas to you and to All.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:29 AM
gyrocptr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2cents: If you believe in Murphy's Law, the probability of getting exactly 0-0 engine offset is in the range of zero-none. If you target 1degree down and 1degree right, you can eliminate the probability of left-thrust and/or up-thrust (each of which can cause problems if you want to trim for precision aerobatics).
Old 12-24-2017, 03:27 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by gyrocptr
My 2cents: If you believe in Murphy's Law, the probability of getting exactly 0-0 engine offset is in the range of zero-none. If you target 1degree down and 1degree right, you can eliminate the probability of left-thrust and/or up-thrust (each of which can cause problems if you want to trim for precision aerobatics).

Thanks. Ole Murphy has gotten me a few times. I was giving thought to what you say. May go 1n1. This will not be a precision aerobatic airplane. It will be a fun built, fun fly airplane that with luck will look like a KAOS. Lol.

I have one fuselage side almost done. I need to cut some plywood then I can start on the other side.

For the tail dragger pilots here, which tail wheel assembly do you prefer or is best? A straight wire bent into a tail wheel assembly or the coiled wire tail wheel assembly. I can go with either one. Right now thinking coiled wire.

Views:	57
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2248613  
Old 12-25-2017, 03:09 PM
ETpilot

I had a little time today, so I cut the plywood needed and glued in place. Side one done on to side two.

Since I'm building a tail dragger and will make my own tail wheel assembly, I have to drill a vertical hole in the tail piece that is glued at the very end of the fuselage. I found this jig somewhere online. I need to make one in order to easily drill that hole.

Views:	55
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	2248701  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.