Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:09 AM
kablake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I think I added too much CA. These were supposedly the top CA hinges on the market. I am building an Ugly Stik 60 at the moment and it has been close to a year I have been working on it.. LOL People keep telling me, "I could get that done in a week!!" LOL Well I am sure they could.. But I had other issues I had to deal with and I like to take my time, I installed servos in the wings that I never did and had some problems with it, took me time to figure things out. It sounds SO easy but the bottom of the wing is flat so the control rod came to the servo in a very low angle, had problems with getting it NOT to hit the slot. I also mounted the servo right behind the spar so it was relatively far from the aileron, which made the problem the worst it could be. And of course I used a standard sized servo so the control rod pivot point was deep in the wing.. Anyway, I ended up making the servo totally hidden in the wing.. Anyway, things like that made me think about things and make mods.. I enjoyed it though, It is fun!!

Last edited by kablake; 04-11-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:14 AM
kablake

A few photos of how I installed the wing ailerons..

Old 04-11-2018, 11:21 AM
kablake

ET...

You will get it done when you get it done.... You obviously have other issues in your life. At least you are keeping the building of your posted here and letting us know how it is going. My next build is a Kaos but from a kit but I will still post it here. Never made a none kit build, may someday.. But yours is looking good and as for the measurements you are giving us, a great build...

Later...
Old 04-11-2018, 11:27 AM
kablake

Top Gun sounds awesome!! I used to live in a small town in Washington Start, Yakima WA, They have a airshow every year at the small airport there. The first year I lived there they had the Blue Angels and the Canadian Snow Birds, the best one I had ever been too and the best one of the years I lived there. Was cool to see the Blue Angels support cargo aircraft use its rockets to help it take off from the small runway. I lived 2 blocks north of the airport and went to it one day and watched from my back yard the next day., LOL Most aircraft that landed were prop driven small passenger planes from Seattle or Portland.. Very few commercial jets landed there..
Old 04-12-2018, 03:57 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Kablake,

Hobby time is the key. If you have it you can build fast. All others build slow. When I started this build it was winter. More hobby time. Now summer is fast approaching need to get equipment ready. Work time is more demanding. I spent the last 2 days getting my finish mower ready. So the build is pushed aside a bit. I hope to get my landing gear made soon. Then I will put all the parts together. Do a CG check to determine where to mount wing servos and fuselage radio gear. Cold front coming this weekend so I may make some progress on the build. But my Florida trip is fast approaching so I have to get ready for that too. We should have a 48 hour day. LOL.

My first build getting back into the hobby was an Ugly Stik. Found the plan on this forum and drew my plans full size. I did similar to you with the wing servos. But I attached them to the cover plate. So I remove the cover plate and there is the servo. The servo arm protrudes and moves in a slot in the cover. More labor intensive to make. Now, being lazy, I just surface mount them. Your build looks good.

I remember that air show in Washington. When I was really active flying I used to go to air shows. I've been to Oshkosh many times. I would camp next to the plane next to the runway. Always fun for me. Also Sun n Fun in Lakeland, Florida. Been there many times. Same place where Top Gun is held. I have a picture of the Blue Angels doing a wingtip to wingtip fly-by. Picture turned out great. Fun times gone by.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:38 PM
kablake

ET..

Nice "Pretty" Stik you have there!! I am gonna take a photo of mine completely assembled soon. Just a few more things to do..

"But I attached them to the cover plate. So I remove the cover plate and there is the servo. The servo arm protrudes and moves in a slot in the cover. " I did that first but it was a standard sized servo and the pivot point for the control arm was pretty low and the slot had to be LONG and it kept hitting the end of the slot so I had to make it bigger, and bigger... If I put a longer arm on the servo the control arm on the Aileron would have had to be 1.5 inches! LOL But I got it done...

And YEs.. Fun time goes by quick!! Too quick.. It goes by quick when you are older too!!!
Old 04-15-2018, 08:30 AM
ETpilot

Kablake, don't mention older. LOL.

Well lack of hobby time has hit me again. I have just too much going on at this time. So I'm setting the Kaos aside until I return from Florida. Not too much left on the build. I need to make the landing gear, then do a CG check to determine where to place the wing servos ,electronics and battery, etc. Hatch and engine cowl left then the covering phase. There is supposed to be a good hobby shop in the Orlando area. Going to look it up and visit while I'm down there. I need a fuel tank and a few other things.

Anyone building, fixing or covering, post here to keep thread active.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:07 AM
kablake

Enjoy your trip..

Check this out too if you have the time...

http://warbirdadventures.com/air_museum
Old 04-15-2018, 02:07 PM
ETpilot

Kablake when I opened your link I was surprised at what I saw. I been by that museum many many times, but have never visited. I've flown into Kissimmee Airport often. I would see their T-6’s flying demo flights. I believe they may have a P-51 flying too. Not totally sure though.

Bringing back memories. After Disney World opened, I made a trip up there. On my way home I passed an aviation museum in Kissimmee. It had the mock up of the American SST, Supersonic Transport. I just had to stop and see it. I still remember that visit. That SST program was dropped and the Concorde became the only airworthy SST to fly commercial.

Well, I have to correct my previous statement. I looked up the Tu-144 and it, too, was airworthy and entered commercial service. I just don't recall much about that airplane.

I had to look it up. Here is a link to that story.

American SST

Last edited by ETpilot; 04-15-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:22 PM
kablake

ET,

I was there in around 1990, my wife and I spent our honeymoon in Orlando going to Disney, SeaWorld, other places, we even took a helicopter tour of the parks. So in the decades since I have been there they look like they made a lot of additions. At that time I don't recall them flying those airplanes and offering flights. The coolest thing that I saw was that they were restoring an F4U Corsair. We were allowed to go into the small hanger they were doing the work. I was able to talk to a guy that was doing some work on it. It was awesome.. They said they had been working on if for years and it would be a few more before it was done.. Where I was may have been the "Aviation Museum" you mentioned. But I am almost positive the place we visited was called the Kissimmee Air Museum. Nice change of pace from Disney World and SeaWorld!! LOL If you go, ask them about the Corsair they were doing in the early 90s... LOL

Kevin
Old 04-16-2018, 05:16 AM
ETpilot

The SST display was before 1990. So it was probably another museum you went to. I retired and left Florida in 1990. After the World Trade Center attack, the Navy sent me to Key West, of all places. It was after this Navy service that I started making my many trips to Kissimmee. During these trips is when I saw the museum flights. Disney World and Kissimmee has really grown over the years. And still growing. DW is a no fly zone so I always planned my flights for a close bird’s eye view. Good sightseeing but it is a busy airspace and you have to have your head on a swivel.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 AM
kablake

I just did a few more searches on the web for the Kissimmee Air Museum and it keeps directing me to the webpage I sent earlier,

It's address on the Google search page is Address:
233 N Hoagland Blvd, Kissimmee, FL 34741. I also found this "Kissimmee Air Museum, located at the Florida’s Kissimmee Gateway Airport"

Has DW always been a no fly, because I really remember flying over the park in the helicopter.. Maybe changed after 9/11??

Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM
ETpilot

Kablake I did a bit of research. Warbird Adventures started as an idea around 1998. It was supposed to be a barnstorming operation. In 2004 Hurricane Charley struck the area. Warbird Adventures moved to the airport. I'm not sure if there was a Kissimmee Air Museum. But KAM And WBA are one and the same. I'll have to see what their sign says at the airport. If there is a sign. They are located on the west side of the airport by Hoagland Blvd. I remember that time; 2004. I usually go to the east side of the airport. That year due to the hurricane I had to go to the west side. I drive down Hoagland Blvd and occasionally enter that side of the airport. So I have been by but just see things from a distance.

Flights over DW were allowed until 9-11. After 9-11 DW and Disneyland were granted a Temporary Flight Restriction which is now permanent. The TFR has a 3 mile radius and surface up to and including 3,000 feet. Aircraft, helicopter and remote controlled aircraft operations are restricted. However, if you are in contact with Air Traffic Control you are permitted to enter the TFR. I've had that happen, I think, twice. I usually plan to just avoid the area. You can see a lot from the air and 3500’ over DW is a good view for me.

There, now, is a lot of helicopter traffic in the area. I'm not sure if there is any special helicopter allowances for helicopter tours over DW. Just lots of helicopter landing pads and rides in the area.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:34 PM
kablake

ET..

Well then the Museum I saw in 1990 would be different I suppose.. LOL Yeah I think what you said about them being the same is true. You said you went to the link I posted and it says it is the Kissimmee Air Museum and it is a tab on the Warbird Adventures webpage.. So the Museum is part of the Warbirds Adventures company now.. If I ever gat back down there I will make sure I visit it again.. I am not sure if the place I went to was ON the airport but I would suspect it was close. As I recall there was a closed in area with some aircraft and another area where they were working on the Corsair...

Enjoy your trip... Are you flying a small aircraft, a commercial aircraft or driving??

And as far as a Kaos. That is my next build, it is from a kit, Either the Great Planes or Tower Hobbies 60. I will post the build here.. Not a plan build but I will show what I am doing....

Kevin

PS: Still ask them about the Corsair!!! LOL
Old 04-17-2018, 03:02 AM
ETpilot

Kevin, this will clear up the museum mystery.

Flying Tiger Warbird Restoration Museum

They closed after the 2004 Hurricane Charley. Then Warbird Adventures, AKA Kissimmee Air Museum, moved to the airport.

Flying would be the preferred way to go; five hour flight. But unfortunately I have to drive. I am at the point where I have to give up flying. Hard to do but it is about time. My airplane is out of its annual inspection. One more thing I need to finish. I need a flight review, required every 24 months, before I am legal to fly. Hope to get all that done soon.

I'm driving with a lot of cargo. Cargo would not fit in the airplane so driving is the only option. I've made this drive often too.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:28 PM
ETpilot

Well it has been almost a month since my last post. 1290 views and no one has posted on a Kaos build or fix it. Hummmm.

My trip to Florida went well. Got busy busy while there. Lots of home projects to do. Even got in the attic and ran a new electric circuit for a light. Hot hot. Missed out on Top Gun. Only day I could go was opening day and I was not too sure as to activity at that time. So I kept working on fix it things. Then next day I drove down to Miami to visit with family. My, the traffic was horrible down there. All hours of the day i was in bumper to bumper traffic. Just horrible.

I had planned to stay the night but decide to cut the visit short and leave that same night. Turned out to be a long day and night drive to Miami and return to Kissimmee. I did visit the Kissimmee area flying club. But it was during a weekday and no one was there.

Best day of the trip was when I left Florida for the return to Texas. Nothing against Floridians but I prefer Texas. Although I am tied to Florida. I have Family there and own a house in Kissimmee. I can't cut that ribbon that binds me to Florida.

Back home my home looked like a jungle. The grass grew like crazy. The freshly mowed areas that I had left were totally overgrown. I spent the last 2 days mowing and catching up on things. Looking better but still more to be done. My truck has a flat tire I need to fix. Just busy busy here too.

The runway looked like a weed field. Looking better after the first mowing. Will let the cutting dry a bit then hit it with the finish mower. Great flying weather now. I have to get some flight time in. Once I get caught up some I will see about finishing my Kaos. This thread will keep me going until I finish. I only work on one build at a time. I have a couple of foam planes I want to try. Electric prop and Ducted Fan. Both new to me.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:19 AM
kablake

Glad you had a good trip and you saw your family.. Welcome back home.. I am finished with my Ugly Stick and my next build will be one of the Kaos kits I have so I will be posting photos here. Probably be a 60 size, I have several 60 engines and I will be asking advice on which one to use.. A list will be post here when I start building... Will start within a few weeks....
Old 05-13-2018, 03:20 PM
ETpilot

Thanks for the welcome home Kevin. Good to be home. Looking forward to your build.

Had some time to spend on this build. I am thinking of making my own canopy. So I tested this old plug that I made. I needed to know how the finished surface handled the heat. Also the foam. The unsurfaced foam did not hold up, which I figured it would not. But the finished surface held up well. I tried this using the plastic bottle technique.

For the canopy I will do a vacuum pull on the plug. I need to make a small foam cutter for shaping the foam and also a vacuum box. First I need to find out if I can purchase PET-G plastic at a local plastics store. This will be an interesting project.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:28 PM
ETpilot

I installed the rear end servos and control surfaces to see how it looks. I surface mounted the servos. Not sure if flush mounted would be better. What do you all think?

The tail surfaces are just about ready for sanding, sealing and covering. That will be the hard part; coming up with a covering scheme. I need to check the colors I have on hand. The fuselage is super strong with the top sheeting on. I pinned the dowel rod joiner on the elevator for more strength. Slowly coming along. This week I need to make the main landing gear
Old 05-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Roguedog

So hopefully an administrator will ask u to stop posting your non Kaos plane stuff in this thread.

Why don't u just start a new thread in another more appropriate forum, like in the Classic RC Pattern Flying? Instead of this thread. It would be your own personal thread.

Are you purposefully trying to ruin this thread? Do you care if your ruining this thread?

Cheese and Rice!

Last edited by Roguedog; 05-18-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:19 PM
kablake

Originally Posted by Roguedog
So hopefully an administrator will ask u to stop posting your non Kaos plane stuff in this thread.

Why don't u just start a new thread in another more appropriate forum, like in the Classic RC Pattern Flying? Instead of this thread. It would be your own personal thread.

Are you purposefully trying to ruin this thread? Do you care if your ruining this thread?

Cheese and Rice!
Are you serious? Who else is posting ANYTHING about a KAOS build at this time?? NO ONE!!! Except the user that you want removed. You can't IGNORE the FEW posts if you don't like them?? IMO This thread is NOT being ruined. You expect every single word to be KAOS related. Well as I said, HE is the ONLY ONE posting anything about a KAOS right now and you want him kicked off. You want me kicked off too?? Probably, I suppose from what you said. I obviously posted some things NOT KAOS related.. But as I said, I will be building one SOON and plan to put it on here.. That is, if it's OK with YOU and the admins.... I am sure if I go back and read the 1000 plus posts on this thread I can find more than a "few" not totally KAOS related...
Old 05-19-2018, 03:36 PM
kablake

Ohh And this thread is called

"KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO" NOT JUST KAOS...

SO, it seems other things can be posted here.. At least that is what is seems to me from the title... "And INFO" really opens it up quite a bit...

Related planes, what relates another plane to a Kaos? It has a wing, that's related.. INFO, well that really opens it up a lot too.

But to ME, the thread ALWAYS ends up talking about a KAOS.

I showed my Aileron installation because I may do the SAME THING in my KAOS build. I showed my trainer airplane to talk about my covering skills and I may make my KAOS build with more fancy trim than I usually do.

A gentleman talks about why he can't build his Kaos but he is busy rebuilding a mower and shows photos of it. Well, that just shows me how mechanically skilled that person is and he can use that brain of his to apply things to his KAOS!! That is "INFO"!!!

Last edited by kablake; 05-19-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:00 PM
kablake

ETPilot, (or anyone else)

Any advances on the KAOS?? I will be starting mine in a few weeks. I have the "plain" Kaos Kit as well as the Super Kaos kit.. Any suggestion on the one to build. Is one more difficult to fly than the other? I will have a lot of experience on my Stik by the time I get the Kaos ready... So I would call myself intermediate by then... Any advice would be appreciated. Or should I wait and build another more advanced than the Stik but in between that and the Kaos,.. I recall my last Kaos to be fairly easy to handle. May consider Flaps on the next build, anyone put flaps on a Kaos?? How does it respond to them??

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks

Kevin (Kaos Excellent Vehicle In Navigation).. LOLOL
Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Roguedog

Originally Posted by kablake
Are you serious? Who else is posting ANYTHING about a KAOS build at this time?? NO ONE!!! Except the user that you want removed. You can't IGNORE the FEW posts if you don't like them?? IMO This thread is NOT being ruined. You expect every single word to be KAOS related. Well as I said, HE is the ONLY ONE posting anything about a KAOS right now and you want him kicked off. You want me kicked off too?? Probably, I suppose from what you said. I obviously posted some things NOT KAOS related.. But as I said, I will be building one SOON and plan to put it on here.. That is, if it's OK with YOU and the admins.... I am sure if I go back and read the 1000 plus posts on this thread I can find more than a "few" not totally KAOS related...
Etpilot could start his own personal thread for his crap. For that matter so can u. The and Info means Kaos related. Do i have to educate on English literature e.g. "Kaos and related kaos planes and kaos info". Kaos planes ares the subject it would be repetitive to have to list the word Kaos three times.

So to answer your question, yes I'm serious. You have 40 posts and are new to RCU. This thread is easily 10 years old and was started for fans of Kaos Planes. Really silly to join a forum and chime in about how you should be able to post anything u want anywhere u wnat. How about you try to learn how to create your on thread in the right forum so you don't inadvertently upset other members. That last sentence especially applies to ETPilot as well. This thread is devoted to Kaos and Kaos related planes and Kaos information. How is that so hard to figure out.

I know, i get it, its easier to hitchhike on someones elses thread then to maybe have other members give u a bad critique on a thread that you could create.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Roguedog

In answer to your other question about "any advances on the Kaos" The Classic pattern forum has lots of Kaos and Kaos related and Kaos Info including later models (of Kaos planes) on mods to Kaos planes to make them fly better. Silly to have to say Kaos so many times, but just trying to help you out with no misunderstandings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.