Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

KAOS AND RELATED PLANES AND INFO

Old 06-09-2018, 10:08 AM
donnyman

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by kablake View Post
ETPilot, (or anyone else)

Any advances on the KAOS?? I will be starting mine in a few weeks. I have the "plain" Kaos Kit as well as the Super Kaos kit.. Any suggestion on the one to build. Is one more difficult to fly than the other? I will have a lot of experience on my Stik by the time I get the Kaos ready... So I would call myself intermediate by then... Any advice would be appreciated. Or should I wait and build another more advanced than the Stik but in between that and the Kaos,.. I recall my last Kaos to be fairly easy to handle. May consider Flaps on the next build, anyone put flaps on a Kaos?? How does it respond to them??

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks

Kevin (Kaos Excellent Vehicle In Navigation).. LOLOL
Hello!
The Kaos of which I have had many, does not need (IMHO) anything other than to be built by you, which ever one you choose. Flaps on a Kaos seems totally unnecessary but if you have the time, why not? I haven't found the need to do any mods to this bird except to increase rudder effectiveness by adding more area to improve knife edge performance, and retracts are fun. If you can fly a stik the Kaos won't be any problem. build whichever and enjoy
Old 06-09-2018, 04:56 PM
kablake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roguedog View Post
In answer to your other question about "any advances on the Kaos" The Classic pattern forum has lots of Kaos and Kaos related and Kaos Info including later models (of Kaos planes) on mods to Kaos planes to make them fly better. Silly to have to say Kaos so many times, but just trying to help you out with no misunderstandings.
I was asking ET if he had made any advances (had he had time to work on the build).. Not if he had changed the design... Oy Vey..
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 PM
maukaonyx

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was fortunate to pick up a sweet Kaos from a buddy at the field who felt the Kaos was way beyond his abilities. He wanted a nice used Saito 82 that I had, so we made the trade which was a steal for me. Looks like a scratch built Kaos, with an Enya 60, and in tail dragger configuration. Flies great as you all know, like on rails, but it looks about as thin as a pencil when flying by low and fast with wheels up! I have had some probs with the retracts location causing the plane to nose over on landings in the grass. I have shimmed the back edge of the LG mounts so as to move the wheels forward when down. So far the shims are about 1/8" thick! If the prob continues, I might have to put on larger wheels which will require enlargement of the wheel wells, an idea and task I am not thrilled about. Whoever did the original build must have flown from a runway other than grass.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:13 AM
kablake

Looks Nice!!! Yeah they look like TINY wheels for grass.. Move your model tables to the grass and fly from where they are!! I have the exact tote you have. Two drawers, the battery and starter holder come off the main tote.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:20 PM
kablake

Default Starting My Kaos!!!!

I am starting my Tower Hobbies Kaos 60!!

First question. The last Kaos I built was not a Towers Kit, I believe it was the Great Planes. That kit the wing ribs had tabs on the back of each rib to keep the wing straight. As can be seen from the photo this kit the ribs are, well, just the ribs. It mentions the holes are for using a wing jig. I don't have one and have never used one. Is it better to use one or can I make measurements and support the back of the wing in several spot to keep it straight? And if you suggest a wing jig, it is as simple as making one out of wood clamps on the ends and "What do you use for the rods"??

The manual for the build... And the plans title section with a wing rib... See the holes for the jig... Should I use one????

I

Last edited by kablake; 06-15-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:28 PM
kablake

My last Kaos 60 built in early 90s, powered with a Fox Eagle 4 74...

Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 PM
gyrocptr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've built a Kaos wing with tack-glued stand-offs to hold the ribs "level". Laying the rib on graph paper helps speed up the process of properly positioning the stand-off. Space the stand-off far enough away from the trailing edge to allow installation of first, "bottom" pieces of TE sheeting while retaining the stand-off.
Also built a wing with a jig. Examples in the attached link. Rods can be 1/4 inch diameter music wire, fiberglass shafts or carbon-fiber shafts. Need high stiffness to avoid sagging in the middle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wing...3AEwEw#imgrc=_

Last edited by gyrocptr; 06-15-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:44 PM
kablake

Well.....

I did a bit more looking at parts in the kit and found they indeed included a jig for the trailing edge of the wings.. So... I got this far... It is the left wing. Going together very well. It is an easy kit to build.... I enjoy building just as much as flying so I take my time and do things right!! :

Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Skyhawk940

Default Wing Strenght?

Originally Posted by Skyhawk940 View Post
No, I just flew to trim, test the CG and get a feel for the throws. Power is a 120 Saito with a master airscrew 15/8. I had to go with a 15 inch due to ground clearance. I think a 16/6 would be better. Should have added a little extra on the landing gear length or larger wheels. I like a nose slightly low sitting on the wheels. The weight is about 10.5 pounds. Was a little worried about the center joint of the wing, no spars to join the wing hafts, just glue and some fiberglass tape.
Will post more as I get some airtime.

Skyhawk
Flying last week and kinda hot dogging it. Had a wing failure! Wing folded mid-flight. Wasn't all that bad, the wing halves got some dings and the rest had clean breaks. Able to rebuild easy. I am going to put a tube through the wing this time.

Skyhawk
Old 06-20-2018, 05:51 PM
kablake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk940 No, I just flew to trim, test the CG and get a feel for the throws. Power is a 120 Saito with a master airscrew 15/8. I had to go with a 15 inch due to ground clearance. I think a 16/6 would be better. Should have added a little extra on the landing gear length or larger wheels. I like a nose slightly low sitting on the wheels. The weight is about 10.5 pounds. Was a little worried about the center joint of the wing, no spars to join the wing hafts, just glue and some fiberglass tape.
Will post more as I get some airtime.

Skyhawk

Mine is very similar, it has a very THIN dihedral sheet to join the wings, Basically to get the dihedral correct. I am going to fabricate 2 dihedral spars and epoxy them on the underside of the top spar and the top of the bottom spar to add strength..
Old 06-26-2018, 03:09 PM
kablake

Well, not much happening on the Kaos, I have sheeted the top of the wing shown on the photos above, I also installed the landing gear mount. Sorry no retracts for me... I am in the process of mounting the aileron servo in the one wing, one in each wing.. Then I broke my ankle so not much standing in the shop for a bit.. Will show more photos as I get going again..
Old 06-26-2018, 03:46 PM
Roguedog

kablake,

Dude you really need to start a personnel build thread. If you have a personnel build thread a link can be added to the "Links to Build Thread's" sticky so it can be found easily in the future.

Why u continue to post your build here is ridiculous. Most everyone else who does a build thread creates his own build thread instead of hitchhiking off anothers thread.

How about u start a build thread on the main Classic RC Pattern Flying tree. I will subscribe as soon as u do.

Last edited by Roguedog; 06-26-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:35 PM
Skyhawk940

My Kaos 90 has a foam wing. Going to reinforce it somehow. Thought of a tube, but don't have one. Thinking now to run 1/8 light ply 2 inch X 24 inch between the landing gear blocks and glued to them and use heavier fiberglass tape. Will post photos.

Skyhawk
Old 06-27-2018, 08:00 AM
kablake

I am done posting in here or on this page, I have a few facebook groups interested in my build and I am tired of someone telling me to make my own page and it seems the only active stuff in this forum is people building a Kaos anymore and that doesn't seem to be appreciated. I thought I would post my build in here, after ALL it is a KAOS!! 1: Because others have. 2: To show others how I am doing things. 3: to get help or advice when I need it. But I am done.. I will just do it on facebook where people appreciate it..
Old 06-27-2018, 01:37 PM
donnyman

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by kablake View Post
I am done posting in here or on this page, I have a few facebook groups interested in my build and I am tired of someone telling me to make my own page and it seems the only active stuff in this forum is people building a Kaos anymore and that doesn't seem to be appreciated. I thought I would post my build in here, after ALL it is a KAOS!! 1: Because others have. 2: To show others how I am doing things. 3: to get help or advice when I need it. But I am done.. I will just do it on facebook where people appreciate it..
Don't go anywhere! you have as much right to be here as anyone and someones opinion should not discourage you! If someone doesn't like what's happening he can go elsewhere.
You don't have to leave you have been having good repore with many, why mess that up? some just like to take control of things when they should keep there mouth shut. and keep their opinion of how a thread is run to themselves. .................................. Stay here your doing fine!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:59 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1
Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

+2
Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Skyhawk940

+3 We're interested in you and your build. I thought this was a Kaos group also. Don't let anyone rain on your party.

Skyhawk
Old 07-02-2018, 01:00 PM
Roguedog

All the recent posters need to go back and reread the last 100 posts before plusing this guys postings. This is exactly what ruins threads.

I'm fine with his last posts because they are Kaos related, but as usual the illiterate, defined as - showing or marked by a lack of acquaintance with the fundamentals of a particular field of knowledge - meaning the last 100 posts of so, decided to chime in without actually taking the time to review the issue or they are completely overlooked the facts to start a fight.

Since i brought this up the the thread has indeed got back on topic and the off-topic posting has stopped. So, YOU"RE WELCOME.

Frankly I hope kablake is a man of his word and doesn't cave in because a few posters would like to start a fight, just for the sake of having something to post about.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM
Skyhawk940

Take about getting off topic with off topic posts like that????????
Old 07-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Roguedog

You need to focus skyhawk.

Post Kaos stuff. Repeat after me --- Kaos thread, say it, Kaos thread, say it again, Kaos thread. Heres a few Utter Chaos pics to help motivate u

Old 09-13-2018, 01:40 AM
encan

Hello,

Here is one that I am building from free plans right now. WS around 78 inches. Keeping it light. Will power with electric.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:59 AM
Falcon6667

Originally Posted by encan View Post
Hello,

Here is one that I am building from free plans right now. WS around 78 inches. Keeping it light. Will power with electric.

>>>>>>>>>I have had several
Old 12-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Skyhawk940

After building and flying a Kaos 90 (love it), I've started building a Mini Kaos. Coming right along. It has a 35" WS and going electric. Have photos if interested.

Skyhawk
Old 01-31-2019, 05:57 AM
PlaneJames
My Feedback: (14)

Default Kaos 90

Where can I get a good set of plans? Would an os 108 be too much for it?

thanks

james

love a 40 sized as easy to get around. 60 jsize just performs. Wonder how that would compare with a 90 sized? What are the physical measures/re ommended power?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.