Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New "Taurus"

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:49 AM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New "Taurus"

A while back, I wassearching high and low for plans or other bits of information that would allow me to re-construct the Top-Flite Taurus, but I flew one back in the late 70's, early 80's.
Back then, everyone who was someone had a Taurus and since then, I have always wanted to get my hands on one.

While searching, I stumbled across a thread on RCU that mentioned that the Taurus had been re-drawn and was kitted under the name Primus.
I ordered one from Jeff Petroski and received the kit within two weeks from ordering. Excellent turnaround for an order from the States to Australia.

The new kit is all laser cut and included top quality accessories such as Dubro clevises etc etc.
The laser cutting looks top notch.

Having the kit here has me all excited and wantiong to start building.
This is just like winning the big one in the Lottery !!!

I am planning to build the kit as close to the original appearance as possible.
Colour scheme will be the same as the one on the cover of MAN all thosed years ago.
Unlike the original though, I'll probably use Monokote and the engine will obviously be a modern one.

Like Ed Kazmirski's original one, the engine will most likely be mounted upright. I need to ponder this a bit though.

I hope to take a few photos as I progress with the build and post here.

Ari

PS: If anyone has photos that show the original colour scheme better than what I have, I'd love to see them.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:54 AM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New "Taurus"

Ari,
Keep us posted with the build. I picked up a kit last year at a sale. The Taurus was my first low wing back in 69 or 70.
The color schemd on the box was pretty basic. Any idea as to the issue you need of MAN?
EXCAP232
Old 11-07-2006, 12:26 PM
rainedave

This is the only color photo of the Kazmirski version I have:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66775.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	555844  
Old 11-07-2006, 01:15 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

I like the price of the magazine !

tommy s
Old 11-07-2006, 01:18 PM
apalsson

Rainedave,

This is the scheme I was planning on. I wonder what the underside is like?
I'm hoping to start the build in the next week or so. I have been through the plans so many times now, I almost remember them of the top of my head
Old 04-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Lee62

I didn't know there was so much interest in the old Taurus. I have a complete "NIB" original kit. Assembly has never been attempted and as far as I know, the kit is complete to include the plans and hardware. I bought the kit when I was in the Army, thinking I might someday try to put it together. That was over 27 years ago and it is still in the box. Now I am retired and drive an 18 wheeler so I still don't have time for it. I never was much of a kit builder (no patience) and now ARF's are about all that I have time for. I have considered selling it but I have no idea what it might be worth. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just posted pictures of the kit in my gallery here ar RCU. Feel free to look and send me suggestions. Thanks Lee62
Old 04-01-2007, 05:38 PM
rainedave

Lee, you can buy five arfs for what you'll get for the Taurus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Top-Flit...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-02-2007, 07:57 AM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The underside is the same as the top. At the nose on the right side, in front of the blue accent stripe, Ed had printed "Taurus". It was not on the left hand side. As for the font, MS Word has "Fritzer" which is as close as I can get. Other good fonts are Kristen ITC, Forte, or Don Casual (stretched)
Old 04-02-2007, 08:38 PM
jjpetro

Ari,
You just finished summer there didn't you? Have you had time to build and fly that "new Taurus" yet?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 PM
apalsson

Jeff,

No, unfortunately, she is still "in the bare bones", or uncovered but fully built.
I ran out of time to finish the work.

Yes, summer is just over and autumn setting in. I'll start on the project again in the next month or two
Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 AM
radioman

is the kit still available i emailed the company but havnt heard anything.any information would be appreciated
Old 02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the kit still available i emailed the company but havnt heard anything.any information would be appreciated
Yup, Jeff is still selling the Primus and just did a kit run. Keep trying to contact him, you'll get through.

FB
Old 02-01-2009, 02:09 PM
radioman

thanks free bird jeff emailed me yesterday and i reseved one he said he was out of kits right now but will do a run when he gets enough orders