Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Senior PatternAssoc. -North East Chapter -Officially!

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Senior PatternAssoc. -North East Chapter -Officially!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 PM
73driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior PatternAssoc. -North East Chapter -Officially!

To all those interested,
I have recently started a North East Chapter of the Senior Pattern Association and the application has been processed and APPROVED! SPA - NorthEast Chapter#4.

Most people that read this forum are familiar with the Senior Pattern Association. Over the last few years, a lot of interest from flyers has been expressed in the SPA and the type of flying we do. Last December I had submitted the chapter application in order to extend and promote SPA activity and events in to the North East region.

So now it is official, SPA has a chapter up here in the north east. What the goal here is, to start having sanctioned SPA contests and events here in the Northeast. For all those that are interested or have questions please contact me via email [email protected] . I really look forward to the future to having SPA functions up here, so if you are interested or perhaps have any suggestions or ideas please feel free to share them.

Pattern Flyers make smoother passes...!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:22 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Senior PatternAssoc. -North East Chapter -Officially!

GOOD GOING JIM!!!!

It would be a "haul", but I'll try to come up and break the "champagne bottle" over something to help celebrate your first contest. Keep in touch!

Duane
Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 AM
kingaltair

This will be interesting, and I hope lots of people outside the southeast get involved in the new chapter. How many charter members do you have?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:34 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's great!

As a CT resident, I'd like that a lot. Might even participate!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:52 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Great news!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:03 PM
WEDJ

Wow, Endicott. I remember gong to pattern meets there in the 70's
Old 03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
s. wallace

We still run one every August -hasn't been actually in Endicott for many years but close by in Sayre, Pa.

In 2005 our club (the Aeroguidance Society) celebrated our 50th anniversary as an RC club and hosted our 50th consecutive pattern contest! Dave Brown & Dave Mathewson were in attendance and there was nice write-up in Model Aviation.

We also host a VRCS event every labor day weekend at our club field near Endicott as well as a 10 race Q-500 racing series (424).

Modern pattern is no longer of interest to me and although I was an officer and competed in several VRCS meets those models are just a bit before my time and I personally found the 1970 cut-off date for models limited my appeal with VRCS. I'm happy to learn of an SPA chapter in the NE and may well break out plans and start work on an Atlas or similar. I have an old Dirty Birdy stashed away I could always fly this year
Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 AM
WEDJ

I'm sending my SPA dues in tomorrow. I wasn't too keen on the organization because it was all Southern, although I am (like most SPA members) enamoured with the pattern of the 70's
Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 AM
impalas
My Feedback: (1)

Hi; Just read your thread on the Sayre meets. We used to come up there in the early to mid 90s to fly at a contest, (two Day) at a small airport. It seems all of the guys from the N.E. used to go to that meet. They had a great dinner on Saturday nights. Is the airport still there? And are the SPA meets held there?? Of all the meets we went to Sayre was one of the best.

Impalas
Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 AM
s. wallace

ORIGINAL: impalas

Hi; Just read your thread on the Sayre meets. We used to come up there in the early to mid 90s to fly at a contest, (two Day) at a small airport. It seems all of the guys from the N.E. used to go to that meet. They had a great dinner on Saturday nights. Is the airport still there? And are the SPA meets held there?? Of all the meets we went to Sayre was one of the best.

Impalas
Hi Impalas-

The "airport" is no longer an active airport, but our club has been able to retain use of that site each August for a weekend to hold our AMA pattern contest. This year is Aug 4-5 for the 53rd Annual Aeroguidance Society Pattern meet.
We do not hold any SPA events, our club holds a VRCS reunion every Labor day weekend, but that is at our beautiful club field near Endicott, NY and not at the Sayre property.
Maybe in the future we can hold an SPA event but right now facing an aging and declining membership (like many clubs I'm sure) it is tough to put on the events we already do.
For more info check the clubs website: www.agsny.org
Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: WEDJ

I wasn't too keen on the organization because it was all Southern, although I am (like most SPA members) enamoured with the pattern of the 70's
All organizations have to start somewhere, and SPA started in Georgia/Alabama/Tennessee----but it is NOT a southern club sipping "Mint Juleps",(or any other alcohol for that matter)[X(],between rounds. The main reason I wrote the first SPA/VRCS article for Model Aviation, and the upcoming second article focusing on SPA, is that I felt SPA was one of the best-kept secrets in AMA; I just wanted to get the word out. SPA wants to grow and expand, and everybody "down south" is excited about Jim's new chapter.

We have had more than a 35% increase in membership since May 2006--not just in the south, but all over. A Northwest Chapter has formed, based in Oregon, and there is a lot of interest, especially in Texas, Florida, and Arkansas. Interested folks from those areas may contact Steve Byrum at the SPA website, (www.seniorpattern.com) to find other like-minded flyers in their area.

The NorthEast chapter has perhaps the greatest potential for future growth of "simple and inexpensive" vintage pattern competition---all based on the number of pattern pilots and the population in that region.

Jim is a great guy--I had the pleasure of meeting him at our Asheville contest last September. If you are interested, come on out and see what it's all about.

Duane
Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Hey Impalas:

I think you ought to be joining this here NorthEast Senoir Pattern Chapter. Who knows they might even think that a Boxer is old time pretty soon. Maybe for the BPA. Pete we need to get out with Rob and ole GG and do some 60 pattern. There are alot of SPA models to chose from. The Cursor is running and the old "Orange Rag" Utter Chaos is getting ready to make the trip to Jersey to see Jim so we need a RI guy down there too.

Peace

Mark O

Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 PM
EXCAP232
My Feedback: (12)

This is great news to hear. I hope to make a few contests this year so hope to do a few of these in addition to a few in IMAC.
Keep us posted.
EXCAP232