Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

ultra sport 60/Kaos

Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 PM
antique opa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultra sport 60/Kaos

I saw that great planes is making the US60 again. Is'nt the US60 a Super Kaos with a different canopy and deck? There showing July release date. 109.99 for kit.
I think the US60 is ugly. Kit bash into a Super Kaos.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Oly

Default RE: ultra sport 60/Kaos

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the US is a much better looking plane than the Kaos. The US and the Kaos share the same wing airfoil (and wing, for all practical matters), thus very similar performance. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I've only flown the US, not the Kaos, so I'm only speculating on what I've heard and read from modellers who have experience with both.

Cheers,
Oly
Old 04-14-2007, 12:18 AM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

I can tell you for sure that the Kaos 60 kitted by Tower in the late nineties is the same as the US 60. The kit was $73 as well. It was not listed as a Super Kaos but the formers for the turtle deck necessary to turn it into an Ultra Sport were in my kit. I still have them in my spare parts bin. The only thing missing was instructions for adding retracts in the manual. I am going to order one of these kits when they come out and see if they have changed the wing any. If not, I might be making a second wing for my Kaos. I am hoping they lightened the fuse a little because the Kaos kit I got was solid balsa that had to be shaped with ply doublers. Also the flight surfaces were different from the US. They didn't go all the way to the end of the wing which looks a little more unique but a pain to cover. Mine came out a little over seven pounds with fixed tri-gear.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:47 AM
digital_trucker

I have a 95% completed US60 (been that way for about 10 years now). I'm just getting back into the hobby, so it's a definite candidate for getting finished! On the one that I built, the only solid balsa in the fuse was the top and bottom nose blocks. Very little ply in the kit, so it's quite light. My only beef with the kit was the very heavy, hard sheet balsa supplied for the tail (it was bowed, too). I replaced all that with built-up and sheeted tail surfaces. I wound up with more rigid components and half the weight. I built a US40 back in the late '80s, and that was simply an awesome flying model...especially with an OS .50 on it (the HP .61 Gold Cup was a tad much for it).
Old 04-14-2007, 10:16 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve never cared much for the looks of the Ultra Sport 40/60 fuselage, but I think it is great news that they have brought them back and they can be so easily be built as a Tower version of the Super Kaos. I expect a lot of folks are getting bored snapping together poor quality ARFs and are looking for kits to build that are more interesting. It would be a smart move on Tower’s part to advertise that the US kit can easily be built as a Kaos.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Ultra Sport Ugly...Sniff..Sniff..[sm=cry_smile.gif]

I like my US-40...I was just thinking about it and realized this thing is over 20 years old...Jeezzz

The Duct tape on the Canopy is at least 15 years old..he he...(That was back when they made Good duct tape)...I have a new canopy...but this is the second or third one on there already...And I think the tape adds some character..he he

This is the Airplane that made me realize that "Smooth is Cool"...

No telling how many flights are on her...It made a trip through a small tree once...Ooops...I left the ding in the Right Wing LE..More character..he he

If you can tell...The Dubro treaded tires are bald..he he..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54751.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	665489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78516.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	665490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96608.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	665491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70272.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	665492  
Old 04-16-2007, 06:06 AM
digital_trucker

They're incredibly solid. Mine went through a tree once - yes, completely through - and only caused a couple of poke-holes and a cracked rib in the wing (did more damage to the tree). It also 'landed' nose first burying the engine up to the firewall once - only broke the prop. The design PROVES that lots of lite-ply in the fuse is not necessary for strength and durability. There's very little ply in the fuse, and what there is has cutouts. Wish I had pics of that bird. The only real weak point in the design is the main gear mounts, I had problems with them wanting to tear loose. I put a piece of ply in the balsa filler block on the underside of the wing and mounted a dural gear to it. Sturdier and handled better too. It always impressed the fliers when I'd do full-stall dead stick landings (y'know, full up on the elevator until it touched down). Mine wouldn't drop a tip on a stall, it'd just drop a couple of feet, go ahead a couple feet, drop - looked kinda like a slinky going down a flight of stairs. I found it was actually easier landing dead stick than at idle. They slow down just fine, but the don't stop flying until they're almost stationary - made flaring difficult at idle. An idling OS .50 would really stretch the glide, and that HP .61 would actually maintain altitude at idle.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:20 AM
RCBuilder42yrs

Whoa!

Chuck,

I can tell that you still have the "Eyes" of a Young "RedTailed Hawk" Cuz I can tell you that your color scheme and my OLD and weak eyes would loose that one in about 1 nano second!

I've reached that point where I need drastic contrast on my planes... like Metalic Plum and Circus Circus Pink! GREAT color combination for visibility! IMHO of course...

Neat looking .40 size plane.

I love pictures! ! !
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-16-2007, 10:59 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: 8178

I’ve never cared much for the looks of the Ultra Sport 40/60 fuselage, but I think it is great news that they have brought them back and they can be so easily be built as a Tower version of the Super Kaos. I expect a lot of folks are getting bored snapping together poor quality ARFs and are looking for kits to build that are more interesting. It would be a smart move on Tower’s part to advertise that the US kit can easily be built as a Kaos.

------------

I always wanted to build an Ultra Sport and finish it to look like a dolphin, since it looked like one anyway. Heeeeeeere, Flipper!

With that said, I'll bet they (Ultra Sports) could knife-edge a whale of a lot better than a Kaos or Super Kaos.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-16-2007, 12:20 PM
dave_anderson
My Feedback: (47)

Just back-ordered mine!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: RCBuilder42yrs

Whoa!

Chuck,

I can tell that you still have the "Eyes" of a Young "RedTailed Hawk" Cuz I can tell you that your color scheme and my OLD and weak eyes would loose that one in about 1 nano second!

I've reached that point where I need drastic contrast on my planes... like Metalic Plum and Circus Circus Pink! GREAT color combination for visibility! IMHO of course...

Neat looking .40 size plane.

I love pictures! ! !
[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Your Right about the color scheme...Dusk is Really Fun!!

I thought the example on the box looked neat so I just followed that scheme...Little did I know it would be like flying a shadow..he he

Thanks!!

Ed...
A dolphin...he he..It sure does doesn't it...lol

Flippers my Hero...

Dave...
Hope you like her!! I assume you ordered the 60...That should be kewl..

Have Fun!!

Chuck
Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 PM
babbott78

The good old ultrasport! I flew one for 4 and a half years at 4-5 times a week burning through a number of engines in that period before it finally died from Radio interferance at low level (2.4Ghz would have saved it!) this pic is around 15 years old now, Ultra sport 40 in US 60 colours. I actually ended up tinting the canopy and putting an aluminium spinner on to make it look better.

Loved flying that plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28882.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	675632  
Old 04-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Atlanta 60

What a Good Lookin' Airplane...

Chuck
Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: 8178

I still have my ultra-sport 60. I think it is about 16 years old now. Have not flown it in about 5-6 years. Maybe time to dust it off, and replace the cracked canopy (I did get as far as buying a replacement canopy). I think last time I flew it in Atlanta, I finally wore through the tread on the nosewheel ----- it got a flat !

Always a good flying machine. My only flying complaint was on outside looping manuvers.... as compaired to the super kaos ... the US 60 has a tendency to 'blank out' the veritical fin in outside loops - in other words the vertical fin and rudder become less effective, and direction control sometimes suffers. From what I have been able to determine, the larger canopy and turtle deck cause the issue. Nothing critical, just something noted as a difference between the two planes.

But it is a very enjoyable flying plane. Great for everything from just practice pattern to fun flys.

Bob

Old 06-09-2007, 09:50 PM
digital_trucker

Well, I just maidened that 10yo hanger queen US-60 today - flew right off the board, basically (only need a couple clicks of trim). I covered it metallic red and chrome, almost the standard US scheme, but with a couple more triangles on the wings and tail. I flew it minus canopy and cowl. I've got a Fiberglass Specialties cowl to put on it when I get my 10yo HP 61 dialed in right again...it appears to haul it with unlimited vertical near as I can tell...not sure what the all-up weight is yet. Waiting on a canopy from Tower...pics to follow when I get the canopy on it.

Thing flies like a true US - like it's on rails!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM
digital_trucker

Does anyone know what the airfoil is on an Ultra Sport? I hear the airfoil of a Kaos is pretty close to a NACA 0018, but I also hear that the US uses a different one.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:07 PM
babbott78

Originally Posted by Atlanta 60 View Post
Ultra Sport Ugly...Sniff..Sniff..[sm=cry_smile.gif]

I like my US-40...I was just thinking about it and realized this thing is over 20 years old...Jeezzz

The Duct tape on the Canopy is at least 15 years old..he he...(That was back when they made Good duct tape)...I have a new canopy...but this is the second or third one on there already...And I think the tape adds some character..he he

This is the Airplane that made me realize that "Smooth is Cool"...

No telling how many flights are on her...It made a trip through a small tree once...Ooops...I left the ding in the Right Wing LE..More character..he he

If you can tell...The Dubro treaded tires are bald..he he..
that last blue covered Ultra Sport was actually my Ultra Sport 40 😃, love that plane. I flew it every weekend for about 4 years