Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Miss Norway pics

Old 05-16-2007, 11:05 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Miss Norway pics

Anyone with pictures to share of the Miss Norway? I would like to see some.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:46 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Miss Norway pics

The Miss Norway appeared as a featured pattern plane article in Radio Control Modeler, (don't remember the exact issue, but the plans are in their catalog),and was included in the RCM Flight Training Course book back in the 80s. If you're interested, I could scan a picture from the article.

It is a beautiful plane, with a relatively short wingsoan---designed to fly in the windy conditions characteristic of Norway.

Duane
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 AM
EscapeFlyer

Thankyou. I actually have the RCM volume II "Flight Training Course" book written by Ben Strasser and Tom Cone. There is even a litlle build article as well as a reduced scale copy of the plane in the back of the book with lots of his pictures of the airplane. I was just hoping that somebody has had some experiences with this airplane they'd be willing to share, and pictures to go with it.

I have the plans on order and am in the process of learning how to cut foam for the wing, and then learn how to mold a conopy for it as well. I'd like to do it right.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:06 AM
DerFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bipes,

No pictures of the finished plane yet but I'm not too far off starting to build!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61756.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	686704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40503.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	686705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80871.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	686706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78187.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	686707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oa32113.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	686708  
Old 05-18-2007, 10:35 AM
EscapeFlyer

HEEEEEERE BIRDY BIRDY BIRDY< HEEERE BIRDY BIRDY!

Very cool! Do you plan on retracts?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:23 PM
DerFly

Sorry, my mistake. That's obviously not Miss Norway but a kingfisher native to Oz, a Kookaburra.

No, I won't do retracts this time as the engine thrust line is too low to get a nose retract and a tank into the nose of the plane.

I'm not happy with the engine mounting method on the plan, I've gone for a aluminum radial mount and mounted the Dubro steerable nosegear hardware on the back of the firewall. I may yet revisit this before starting to build in earnest but this seems to be what I've settled for at the moment. Any other ideas most welcome.

HB 61 PDD with pump should be ample power.

I did get the RCM article here on line some time ago (from kingaltair maybe?, thanks!) which shows the old OS FGR mounted. I have one of these in good condition so that could be an option too. Or maybe a Webra Blackhead to really keep it original.

By the way, does anyone know when this plane was designed/first flown?

DerFly
Old 05-22-2007, 08:51 AM
kingaltair

A KIT---TRE COOL

How old is that kit--where did it come from? I assume it is no longer available. I have always thought the Miss Norway is a beautiful plane. Many years ago, I sent away for the plans, but thus far have not built it. Like "ILIKEBIPES", I always wondered exactly how to make that canopy--I wish there was some way to make a mold from the kit canopy you have--I'd buy one!!

I know the author/designer wanted the short wingspan plane because of the winds over there in Norway, but if I were building the kit, I'd increase the wingspan and wing area some.

Please keep us informed of your progress of your build, and if you are aware of any other kits, let me know.

All the best.

Duane
Old 05-22-2007, 10:15 AM
RCBuilder42yrs

No, I won't do retracts this time as the engine thrust line is too low to get a nose retract and a tank into the nose of the plane.
DerFly

DerFly,

I Know that ideas are a "dime a Dozen" but can be worth a million bucks if you put feet to one that reaps big rewards. I simply couldn't help but offer up perhaps an IDEA that you may have thought of or perhaps you haven't.

Picture below shows one way to overcome the "obstacle" of installing nose gear.

Another way would be to use 2 tanks, a small header tank to feed the engine and instead of making a "clear Canopy" just make a hollow shell and utilize that area for the "Main tank". The small one could still stay on the thrust line and leave you plenty of room to install a nose retract unit. Both tanks could be smaller and yet carry the same amount of fuel.

Just a humble suggestion, in case you WOULD include retracts in the Miss Norway.

Name:	Wu61569.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	689358  
Old 05-22-2007, 12:31 PM
pimmnz

And don't be put off by the engine mounting system, every thing from `Thunderstormers' to `Curares' use the method and it works well. Keeps the front end rigid and has plenty of soft balsa to absorb vibration. Miss Norway was not designed for retracts anyway, if you want to use them, then another model purposely designed for them would be my suggestion.
Evan, WB#12.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
EscapeFlyer

This is from the author of volume II, "flight training course," from R/C Modeler Magazine-p.154

"If you plan to use a retract gear system, I recommend the following modifications to Miss Norway Mk II:

a. Use 1" sheet balsa from bulkhead B2 forward (similar to the fuselage bottom) instead of the bulkhead and sheet construction. Balsa blocks are great vibration dampeners.

b. Move bulkhead B1 1/2" forward and don't forget to lengthen the fuselage sides accordingly.

c. Use 1 3/4" nose wheel and 2 1/4" main wheels.

d. Enlarge the wingspan, if necessary, to keep the wing and stabilizer loading within FAI regulations for maximum of 75 g/dm squared total wing and stabilizer loading."

Retracts ARE a viable option for Miss Norway Mk II.

My plans are on the way, and I just may build a wood shell for the canopy, but it would be nice to know how to make the canopy also.
The following users liked this post:
DJH (01-02-2023)
Old 05-22-2007, 02:56 PM
RCBuilder42yrs

<snip> but it would be nice to know how to make the canopy also.<snip>

Ilikebipes,

Give me about a week and I'm going to put a thread on RCu about how to make canopy's. Seems we have a "BUNCH" of folks that have never done that...

I'd love a copy of your "M Nwy" plans if you have a staples near you. trying to build up my plans collection again. I'd pay for the copy and postage... Let me know.

[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 05-22-2007, 04:00 PM
EscapeFlyer

Very cool. Looking forward to the thread. I'll see what I can do about the plans.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:13 PM
EscapeFlyer

I recieved my plans today. YEAHHH!!!!!!!

That wing is small compared to the fuselage.

DerFly and anyone else: Please, please Please feel free to post any pics of your build progress here. I would enjoy them MUCHO VERY much!

When I start to build, I'll post too. I'd like to find a canopy-if anyone knows of where to find one, unless RCBuilder42yrs can post his "how to" thread anytime soon.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
EscapeFlyer

Somebody e-mailed me telling me they'd make me a canopy. I lost your e-mail before I got your addresss. Would you be so kind as to shoot me another e-mail?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 PM
RCBuilder42yrs

ilikebipes,

I either need you to measure your plans and give me some accurate measurements of the canopy, OR I need you to make me a copy previously requested so I can make my own measurements for the canopy and do the build thread on canopies.

as stated earlier in the post, I will pay for the copy and postage.

[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 AM
EscapeFlyer

PM me with your address so I can get the ball rolling.

COOL!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 AM
kingaltair

I recieved my plans today. YEAHHH!!!!!!!

That wing is small compared to the fuselage

Since you are going to scratch-build this plane anyway, perhaps you could "scale-up" a root rib and tip rib to make a larger wing with more wing area--it might fly better. I distinctly remember him saying in the article that the primary reason for the short wing was all the windy weather out there in Norway[:'(]

Unless you want a guided missile that glides like an anvil, you might want to increase the wing area, then make the wing cut-out in the fuse large enough to match your root rib.

Just an idea.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
rainedave

Duane, when I first saw the MN I thought it was a forty-size model because of the small wing.

Maybe that's an idea, too. Use one of the new super powerful .46's and build it as light as you possibly can. Then it would have plenty of wing area because it would be a relatively large forty-size bird![X(]

David
Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
kingaltair

Dave---I don't know. I think it would be easier, and would look better to simply make the wing larger---but I'm a guy who prefers planes like the King Altair--where the "clipped wing" version still has a 74" wingspan. The plane was designed to have a .60--I can't see taking a risk of underpowering it in case he doesn't build it "light" enough. Better to have too much power than not enough.

I DO love the looks of the M.N. though---I'd scale up the wing a tad.

Duane
Old 06-06-2007, 04:00 PM
EscapeFlyer

Very good advise indeed. I'll simply cut a longer wing using the same templates, only make it longer. Add 4 inches to each tip? That would be 8 inches of more wing.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
EscapeFlyer

BTW- I don't think I'll get a start on this untill the beginning of August. I know that is a while away, but my building buddy is going on a 4week vacation soon. So I'll have time to prepare for the build. But I am going to get it built, and hopefully flown this year yet so I can start competing where ever I can next year. Not much in my neck of the woods for this type of flying, so if anyone is near the Minnesota area, and knows where I can participate with the M.N, let me know.

I'd like to see some of this type of pattern flying this year if I could. It would even be worth a little drive if necessary.

If not, is anyone up here interested in a BPA or SPA type of pattern competition? Maybe we could get something going?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:03 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

I'll simply cut a longer wing using the same templates, only make it longer. Add 4 inches to each tip? That would be 8 inches of more wing.
I would be interested in input from modelers perhaps more knowledgable than me, but I think a better way to go would be to take the existing root and tip ribs and scale them up by a certain percentage, (perhaps using a copier), to give another 1.5-2" at the root, then make the tip end longer until the new tip is the same size as the plans show. Use this to have a custom foam wing made. I would have to sketch it out to see if this would give the span I wanted, but what it would accomplish would be much greater wing AREA, not just a little more at the tips, and a "pointy" looking wing.

Lengthening the fuse 1-2", (which would hardly be noticable), might also be a thought to make the plane less "short-coupled", make a longer tail moment, and better, smoother tracking through the maneuvers. It would also offset todays heavier .60-size engines, (or a .91 4-stroke could be used). One of the design features of the King Altair that helps it fly so well is its long tail moment.

Name:	Mk26933.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	699187  
Old 06-07-2007, 07:17 AM
kingaltair

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

...is anyone up here interested in a BPA or SPA type of pattern competition? Maybe we could get something going?
I'd like to give you all a "heads up" about my second article, (the first was May 2006), in Model Aviation about SPA competition. The article goes into more detail about precision aerobatics, competition with vintage designs, and in general what SPA competition is all about. The article appears in next month's issue, (July 2007).

I would really encourage Mr Ilikebipes to get something going out there in the midwest--SPA would definitely like to "go national", but we need interested people like you to be the catalyst for an SPA chapter in your area. You just need a small group of enthusiastic competitors, and you can count on help from SPA leadership all the way.

Go for it!!

Duane
Old 04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Carel

There is a short thread that I started with pics of my Miss Norway. It is really a lovely plane even here in South Africa where we have not many windy days. It is me and my sons favourite plane.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Trisquire

I wonder if the design was influenced by the plane of Norway's P. Stephansen:

Name:	Ay75334.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	919428  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.