Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Two Atlanta 60's

Old 07-31-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two Atlanta 60's

Many of you know about my "new-to-me" Atlanta 60 model from the "Joker Restoration" thread. The Joker was really the main focus of the thread, but new information about the history of my Atlanta now makes it worthy of its own thread. Shortly after I had purchased my Atlanta I had been contacted by a fellow RCUniverse member notifying me that he could answer my Atlanta questions because he also owned an Atlanta. Earlier today the same member mailed me pictures and information about his Atlanta. I was amazed at how similar the paint scheme was despite the use of slightly different colors. It turns out both airplanes were built by the same man. Let me share some research with you:

Think back to the '80's. An avid modeler and accomplished pattern pilot named Roger Young began construction on two Atlanta 60's at his Charleston South Carolina residence, quite a formidable project indeed. One was trimmed in red, white, and black. The other Atlanta was trimmed in red, yellow, and black. He used automotive paint on the fiberglass fuselages and iron-on covering on the wings and stabilizers. Both airplanes were built solid and true. Roger took the Atlanta with yellow trim to the Nats (somewhere in the years '87 - '89) and finished second place! Roger gave or sold (not sure which) this powerful and shiny yellow trimmed Atlanta to a guy he flew with. The airplane went through two more owners, all either knew or flew with Roger. The fourth owner had a flameout and the Atlanta fell short of the runway. Besides some cosmetic damage it was okay. He sold it after the accident without repairing it. Its fifth owner repaired it and put around 25 flights on it in the ten years he owned it. After ten years, he reluctantly sold the airplane to another man. The airplane wasn't for sale, but he sold it because the buyer didn't have anything competitive to fly. This airplane was sold two more times and ended up in New Port Richey Florida where it still resides to this day. The man who owns it is an RCU member. The other Atlanta with the white scheme somehow made its way across the United States up to Spokane Washington. Here, its owner put around 30 flights on the airplane, but recently got out of the hobby despite being an avid flier. He sold all of his R/C equipment on Ebay, including the Atlanta. A young 21 year-old pattern pilot from Omaha Nebraska purchased the item. He thought it would go well with a Joker he was restoring.
Over twenty years later, both airplanes are still in fairly good flying condition. Here are pictures of both aircraft:

This is the Atlanta that took second in the Nats.

This is the Atlanta that I own, also built by Roger Young

Its enough of a treat to be lucky enough to own an Atlanta, but to find out what rich history it has along with the fact that it has a "sibling" is priceless!!

Sadly, Roger Young has since passed away, but a small piece of him lives on in the airplanes he lovingly and skillfully built and flew. They still bring great joy to a new generation of modelers. It's amazing how one man can affect the life of so many others, even if it's in a small way. I still plan to fly the airplane. I think he would have wanted to see somebody else on the sticks getting such pleasure from his airplane.

Thanks Roger!

~Nathan King
Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Two Atlanta 60's

I was not involved with RC during the 70's and 80's. I'm curious if anyone knew Roger Young and could share a bit about him. Or maybe someone out there knows who may have owned these planes after they left Roger's possession.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well How Dang Kewl is this!!

Sorry I'm a bit speechless now...And I have to go to bed or I'll be late for work in the AM...lol

But this is a Really Neat Post!!

Chuck
Old 08-01-2007, 05:59 AM
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

I was not involved with RC during the 70's and 80's. I'm curious if anyone knew Roger Young and could share a bit about him. Or maybe someone out there knows who may have owned these planes after they left Roger's possession.
I was stationed at Charleston AFB in the mid-to- late 80's...Roger flew in with the local club, at that time our field was very close to the AFB. Roger owned his own rather sucessful landscaping company and as such had time to fly almost every day. He also built all his own models when he could easily have paid to have them built. He was just beginning pattern back then, Ron Hill was the club pattern guru and was mentoring several of us. Roger's first pattern plane that I recall was a Tipo painted in the bright green and yellow colors of his business. He really loved the hobby and flew all disciplines from sport scale to ducted-fan jet to pattern. His second at the Nats was in Sportsman I believe, he hadn't been flying pattern more than a couple years at that point. Somewhere after his interests shifted to scale and he competed in either Top Gun or the Scalemasters severl times, with a fantastic C-47 model. About this time I relocated to Charlotte, seemed not long after the word came Roger was battling cancer. He passed away soon after, I'm almost sure he was still in his 40's. A great guy and one that helped me when I was just starting out.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not quite as neat as the story above, but through the years my 1st build (a Kadet Mk II built in 1980) was left at my parents house, given away, given back to my little brother, left again at my parents house and finally repossessed by me where it still resides today (although it is missing the wing). i find it hard to believe that the plane is 27 yrs old...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 PM

Sometimes the earth seems so small... This has been a refreshing experience.

Thanks for the additional information, Lotus72D.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 PM

Yeah...That whole "Six Degrees of Separation" thingy...lol

Neat Stuff Here Fellows...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM

I know you are all sick of me by now, but I have recently figured out how to post video.

We have a Board Fun Fly tomorrow evening, and if the weather cooperates I may have some Atlanta video posted by Friday. Keep your fingers crossed, or not if you're sick of hearing from me!
Old 08-08-2007, 12:21 PM

Hummmm..Sick of hearing from You?? While I can't speak for everyone else...I say...Ahhh...NO!!

Looking forward to the Video!! This will be Kewl!!

Chuck
Old 08-08-2007, 05:48 PM

Nathan,

I agree with navav2oo2 too!! I can't wait to see a video of your Atlanta flying.

Fly safe and have fun!!
David
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (121)

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

How about a few nice low and fast rolling maneuvers...
Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: flywilly

How about a few nice low and fast rolling maneuvers...
You want the Atlanta to die don't you?

I'll do low and fast, but without the rolling maneuvers yet. I need to get to know an airplane VERY well before I do any of that. I've had a 3-D airplane for about six months and am just starting to bring maneuvers like that lower. There's nothing like watching an inverted flat spin flatten out into a flat turn and exiting five feet off the runway (say that tongue twister three times fast!)

Even then this IS a pattern plane, NOT a hot-dogger/3-D model!!! [:'(]

I haven't totaled an airplane yet. *knocks on wood*

Well, the weather isn't cooperating, so expect video Saturday or Sunday. I'll be living at the field this weekend since I'm helping with the scoring at our pattern contest all day.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM

Crashing is VERBOTEN!!
A little Atlanta History: Ivan Kristensen flew an Atlanta to 2nd place in the 1984 US Nationals which provided both product visibility and endorsement leading to great popularity for the Zig Saw kit. Zig Saw ( Japanese company) also kitted the Omega which was a side exhaust pattern design. The Atlanta was very popular for 2-3 years then sort of disappeared (I sure the arrival of the Aurora contributed). I don't know what happened to Zig Saw as I can't remember seeing any more designd from them and I didn't see any advertising in the Japanese magazines after the late '80s. UNfortunately, I also remember that quite a few (3-5) Atlantas bit the dust at the '85 Nats. I can't recall specifics, but I do remember hearing and seeing catastrophic wing failure (one occurred on my flight line line). Anybody else remember the '85 nats?
Enjoy your Atlanta - if it has lasted this long I'm sure it is structurally sound!!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:33 PM

As Usual..Great Stuff Mr. flywilly!!

If anyone out there has a kit they won't ever get too...I know someone(me) who would take good care of it!! If you would like to sell it please let me know!!

Nathan...I sent you a PM...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 PM

No worry about crashing. I DO NOT perform any extreme maneuvers with it, so I am never pulling that many G's. Let's just say I fly it VERY CAREFULLY...
I'm pretty sure it's structurally sound. It's built like a brick poo house!
I wonder if there was an actual design flaw, or just a common construction mistake?

It would be interesting to find out how many Atlantas still fly. I doubt very many.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:08 PM

One more thought...
IF anybody has an ATlanta kit that they could bear to part with... Dan Hines has the ability (and maybe the desire) to pull a mold from the original kit fuselage and then we ALL could buy an ATLANTA kit from Dan (he can also cut foam cores).
Just 2 more cents...
-Will B.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:14 PM

I'll be a little less subtle.

IF YOU HAVE AN ATLANTA KIT HAND IT OVER TO DAN!!!

I would do it myself, but all I know how to do is cut cores with a homemade hot wire bow.

P.S. I would definitely buy two. It's a great flying airplane.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: flywilly

One more thought...
IF anybody has an ATlanta kit that they could bear to part with... Dan Hines has the ability (and maybe the desire) to pull a mold from the original kit fuselage and then we ALL could buy an ATLANTA kit from Dan (he can also cut foam cores).
Just 2 more cents...
-Will B.
I may be *Mistaken*...But I thought Dan had an Atlanta...Per a conversation with him...He mentioned that after the BPA Contest he would decide if he wanted to do the Atlanta Mold...That is my understanding anyhow ...I told him I'd take one...

I know he's a busy guy...And if I'm the only customer it doesn't make sense for him to tool up and sell one kit...lol

Hence my post...

I also possess those skills....I work on a plastic Fighter Jet for a living...lol...Prior to that I spent several years in Aerospace Composite Tooling...

I'm not interested in competing with Dan @ Carolina or George @ Aztec...

I Feel Pretty Darn Confident there will be an Aurora Mold...And if things work out...An Atlanta mold also??

Where those molds go after I wind up with my "First Artical's" (for inspection purposes..he he)...Remains to be seen...

I would love a kit if possible...

But I know if *I* had one...I wouldn't want to let her go...

But there is more than one way to skin a cat...

Maybe we'll get there??

Thanks!!

Chuck

Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 PM
My Feedback: (50)

VIDEO Nathan??
Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

VIDEO Nathan??
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm working on it!

Our club is hosting a pattern contest this weekend, so the guys were down there practicing today. After they left I pulled out my Atlanta, but my camerawoman had driven by and left. She saw all the cars and assumed I wouldn't be able to fly! [:@]

I am hoping to fly tomorrow evening after everyone leaves......WITH the camerawoman!!

There was a light crosswind this evening, and the Atlanta handled it beautifully. It slices through the air like a hot knife in butter, so it didn't even need rudder correction on landing. That's flight number seven.

The heat index for this weekend is 108 degrees, and I'll be out there from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm helping with the scoring. I'll need a keg of Gatorade!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:37 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Dan has My Atlanta!

And no, you can't use it for a mold ;-)
Joe W.