Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Scanning and Printing Plans

Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scanning and Printing Plans

Stopped by Kinko's today and asked about scanning some plans. They'll do it for $.75/sq ft and then the file can be emailed for somebody to take to their Kinko's and print for .75 /sqft. My question is how big (Kb) will that file be for say a 3ft x 6ft plan, ie: small enough to email? Don't want to overload somebody's mailbox with a plan. Being new to this on the internet, seems like a great way to trade plans. RainDave- do I have any you need? Maybe I'll scan a couple a month or so...
jeff
Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 AM
flythesky

Default RE: Scanning and Printing Plans

Save it to a TIFF file and it will be 1 to 2 MB, small enough to e-mail. Just don't do it in PDF, @16MB. Works great to share plans.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure to save as a compressed tif.

Some people also create b/w bitmap files which are typically small in size. I don't like the dithering with bitmaps, so I save as grayscale compressed tifs.

The person who helps you at Kinko's should be versed in the various image file formats.

Also, check around for local blueprint shops. They are usually less expensive than Kinko's. I found one that charges about 18¢ per sq.'

David
Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
ppljr
My Feedback: (94)

A good quality tiff is going to be anywhere from 3-20mb depending on the resolution (100 dpi vs. 300 dpi) and type (gray scale vs. B&W). I'd check around, I have found the amount they charge at Kinkos varies greatly from each individual location. Also, if you go there with a truckload of plans and do it yourself, they may give you a break.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Thanks guys for all the help and tips, now have a better idea what to do. jeff