Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Taking Orders For Hanno Piston/Liner Sets

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Taking Orders For Hanno Piston/Liner Sets

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 PM
crashprofector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Taking Orders For Hanno Piston/Liner Sets

Hi,

you still have the liners and pistons have one hanno I am running and one new in the box

Also found a company that has 20 Hannos NIB what are they worth

Thanks Mike
Old 04-12-2009, 11:08 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Mike,
The value of 20 Hannos is a bit tricky. Are they all original MKI versions or are there some MKII versions and if so are they all 'ABC' or are some the ringed version?
As for the value, I assume you (or the owner) is considering putting them up for sale on eBay? Of course you could set a fixed price and list them here. I also assume that they would not be sold as a lot of 20 engines - The price would probably be depressed for a block sale (figure $300 per engine X 20 = $6,000). Selling each engine individually on an Auction site (eBay) would probably return about $300-$350 per engine, however the price may decline with that many engines as the number of bidders is reduced with each engine sale.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions!
-Will
Old 04-30-2009, 01:15 AM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

Hi there,

Has anyone installed and run their new Hanno P/Ls yet. I haven't. I've been on the hunt (since awaiting the run from Nelson) for ringed P/Ls and eventually found 4 for RFs. Ended up paying about the same price as we paid for the Nelson Hanno P/Ls. The plan is to eventually mod a ringed P/L and a couple RF cases to suit and compare the two types. Would like to have them perform near the designed RPM range of the Hanno with pumps, big pipes and large props. Even found a NIB PD-05 Hanno II 2 nipple pump! Don't have the 6P carb but do have a few different ones to try.

So. roguedog? flywilly? Anyone run their new Hanno P/L yet?

Terry in LP
Old 04-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Trinut
My Feedback: (26)

I am planning on doing the same thing. I have one ringed RF liner to mod, a nelson liner, a 6P carb.
I'm forced to use a perry pump. I have to mod standard RF blocks for both liners.

Hey, you wouldn't happen to have any leads on another hanno 2 nipple pump?
That is all I lack to have 1 complete Hanno.
Thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Terry,
not yet - i'm out of action for a while having just had reconstructive shoulder surgery (too much hand launching - kidding).
They are pretty tight at TDC which means a bit longer break-in, but they will last a looooong time!
-Will
Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Roguedog

Not yet. I don't have any hanno's, just RF's and RF-P's. I did test fit one of the liners into one of my 61 RF cases. That was as far as I got. The RF case will need only a minute mod in the upper corners of the exhaust port to match the Nelson liners' exhaust porting. Maybe .020 to .040 of an inch.

Might try it without the case mod just to get one running.

Bryan
Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Trinut
My Feedback: (26)

roguedog
In addition to the exhaust port changes, the port opposite the exhaust port (transfer port) is wider than an RF as well. I don't know if the hanno liners were port matched in the block from O.S. since I don't have a hanno block to go by either. But if you look into that port there is a big mismatch. It doesn't seem like it would be very effective (making it wider) if the passage feeding it is still narrow.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

I got one *RF* liner from an earlier order which I've installed in one of my RF-P's...I've also installed a Hanno liner in one of my Hanno's...They are tight at TDC!! Squeeky Tight!! Only bench runs on each one so far...Pretty Schweet!!

Drink a beer or take a chill pill or whatever before you install the second piston pin retainer cause it's really "fun"...

I'd probably recommend using some sandpaper or a file to knock the sharp edge of the piston pin retainers...I used a plastic scraper to provide leverage to compress the retainer('s)...They are much "stiffer" than the ones you'll remove from the factory piston...The factory retainers won't fit the Shadel pistons...

I wish I had taken some pics so some of this made sense to you all...If no one else gets to it I will try and do that when I get home in a couple of months...

Good luck and Have Fun!!!

Chuck

Old 05-02-2009, 07:39 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: anuthabubba
So. roguedog? flywilly? Anyone run their new Hanno P/L yet?
Terry in LP
No I haven't given mine a run either. I 've been refurbishing my SlingShot and making a few little changes that I should have done when I built it 16 years ago. Funny thing is I found the right hand aileron had been broken and glued back together before covering and I cannot for the life of me remember the circumstances around that event??? Peeling back the solarfilm was like opening a time capsule.

My Hanno is on it's second OS liner and that one is showing signs of peeling as well with just a small fleck missing below one of the ports. Good thing I bought a spare....Not sure when I'll get around to putting it in though when the engine is running as sweet as it is...
Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 PM
speed-panzer
My Feedback: (1)

[quote]ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

.... showing signs of peeling as well with just a small fleck missing below one of the ports....

Would you do a picture for me of that peeling area? Never saw it myself.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Roguedog

ORIGINAL: Trinut

roguedog
In addition to the exhaust port changes, the port opposite the exhaust port (transfer port) is wider than an RF as well. I don't know if the hanno liners were port matched in the block from O.S. since I don't have a hanno block to go by either. But if you look into that port there is a big mismatch. It doesn't seem like it would be very effective (making it wider) if the passage feeding it is still narrow.
Thanks for pointing that out I had only checked the exhaust port.

I compared the new Nelson Hanno p/l to a new Non-Hanno OS 61 RF p/l set and found some interesting anomalies. So bear with me on this as these are my observataions. Keep in mind that I realize that the boost port was cut at an angel and I'm not an expert at RC engine mods.

That said, first the Nelson Hanno and the regular RF liners' boost port are the same width but differ in height and if that's true would change the boost port timing. If it is lower, this could produce more of a pop on the intake portion of the stroke. The Hanno liners boost port is way wider by a significant amount. The Hanno article states that the transfer ports and boost port timing for the Hanno and Regular Rf are the same. See pic Just comparing

I can see that the Nelson liner is not linig up with the top of the boost port passage, it looks a about 0.02 thousands lower on the outside of the liner and does not look like it has a smooth transistion from the boost passage through the liner into the cylinder. In the stock RF liner the transistion is clearly visible from boost port passage through liner into the cylinder.

Next I looked at the Hanno article and the Hannos boost port, on the liner, is about a 1/16" to 3/32" larger on each side as compared to the Nelson which appears to be the same as the stock RF liner.

In the RCM Hanno article clarence Lee said that "The Hanno Special and Max RF share the same one-piece pressure die-cast aluminum crankcase casting." Doesn't mention any mod to the boost port passage in the crankcase. So I would imagine that their the same.

Since I don't have a Hanno, and I'm modding an RF for the Nelson version, it would be nice to know if the boost port case width in the Hanno is the same as the RF.

Can someone sound in about this?

Bryan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75268.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1190779  
Old 05-03-2009, 12:55 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry if it moves the thread slightly off topic but at Speed-Panzers request and for those who have never seen this "non-existent" peeling issue I have included these images of OS liner #1.

Notice the substantial peeling of the plating on the outside of the liner that was obviously caused by lean/rich running, overheating/underheating, synthetic/castor lubricant, to large/too small prop, too light too heavy plane, too much/ too little nitro or whatever other BS could be thought of at the time other than a heart felt "Oops we stuffed up with the plating technology, here's another piston and liner no charge thank you".....

Liner #2 has a small fleck missing that hasn't gotten any bigger over the last 50 or so flights but I'm keeping an eye on it and the oil I flush out of the pipe at the end of the day....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38551.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1191021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39326.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1191022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85253.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1191023  
Old 05-03-2009, 01:26 AM
speed-panzer

Amazing - thanks a lot! As far as I can remember, this peeling issue has not been a big subject here in germany, or I just didn´t talk to the right people in those days.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 AM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a few of the older OS ABN liners that have peeled. OS now uses a modified process they call ABL (Advanced Bimetallic Liner). I believe they now use an additional layer of something between the sleeve and the nickel that is supped to help it stick better.

David
Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 PM
anuthabubba

I bought 2 used RFs (1 is RF-P) that both had peeled liners. That's why I got in on the custom P/L set order.

Now, I am happy to say, I have become the proud owner of a sho nuff Hanno Special Red Head with a long/tall fuse top header and Hatori 650 pipe. The engine looks pretty good (inside and out), has smooth bearings and good compression but the liner is pretty worn/no pinch. The pipe has a few small dents in the muffled end and the header is not cracked. I'll see if it runs, order parts and tear it down for a rebuild. That'll be a good time to compare the parts to the standard RFs. It came with a 13~8 APC prop. Guess they were getting some good revs out of it.

Terry in LP
Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Crewdog

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are there any Hanno piston/sleve sets still available? I'd be interested in a set or two if they are, please advise. tks
Old 05-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Roguedog

Good news! Thanks Will. Now I won't have to trash this YS and these two RFs. I'm still in for three Hanno sets and one AR set.

Terry in LP not frugalme anymore
Hey anuthabubba. What happened to the two YS's you mention above. Bad liners?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:19 PM
anuthabubba

Roguedog,

Those are two OS RFsand oneYS. I have a YS-R LS and Nelson P/L for a rebuild that I don't think I'll get to. Am concentrating on the OSs. I'd trade the YS for a Hanno.

Terry in LP

Old 05-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Crewdog

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought 2 used RFs (1 is RF-P) that both had peeled liners. That's why I got in on the custom P/L set order.

Now, I am happy to say, I have become the proud owner of a sho nuff Hanno Special Red Head with a long/tall fuse top header and Hatori 650 pipe. The engine looks pretty good (inside and out), has smooth bearings and good compression but the liner is pretty worn/no pinch. The pipe has a few small dents in the muffled end and the header is not cracked. I'll see if it runs, order parts and tear it down for a rebuild. That'll be a good time to compare the parts to the standard RFs. It came with a 13~8 APC prop. Guess they were getting some good revs out of it.

Terry in LP
Hello, though not an expert on the Hanno, from what I've read the set up you discribe may be a bit lite on pitch for the prop? I'm running a the like engine/pipe and my readings lead me to a APC 12 x 12 prop with static ground revs about 9500 rpms. From what I've seen this engine looses power if you go much over 10,500 on the r's as it's designed to be a torqurer. Don't mean to disappoint, but try'n to help.

CD

Old 05-22-2009, 05:59 PM
anuthabubba

Yeah,

I was describing what the seller must have been running, since that's what he sent. I'll definitelyuse more pitch and a different, longer chambered pipe to keep the revssomewhere near10,000 with the Hanno Special. Hope be able to keep the large diameter props too. May have to use a modded RF P/L instead of the Nelson P/L which might beported for more revs than the stock one.

Terry in LP
Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 PM
anuthabubba

Okay,

After thinking about what I wrote in the last post, I decided to compare the new Nelson Hanno liner with an original Hanno Mk II liner. My thinking was that since Nelson is a racing kinda guy and the past runs of P/Ls for RFs were kinda souped up versions (according to what I've read) he must haveadjusted the Hanno AAC sets for more revs. Well, there's good news for some and maybe not so good news for others.

Using my dial calipers (yeah dinosaur stuff, can't find my vernier set) and trusty OptiVisor magnifier, which doesn't guaranteeultimate accuracy, I am pleased to announce that the port timingappears to bethe same or verynearly the sameas the stock Hanno Mk II liner! The charge directing angles are machined 'steeper' on the Nelson liner's ports. This may/probably does, impart greater efficiencyto the engines breathing compared to the stock liner.

Therefore, the new Nelson P/L sets should allow close to stock performance from the Hanno Specials they are installed in. That's the good news for some. The not so good news is that they probably won't turn your Hanno Special into a high revving Frankenstein of an engine.

Terry in LP

Old 05-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Roguedog

Hey anuthabubba.

I actually spoke with Nelson this last week about the timing on these. He verified that he's using the same port timings as on the originals (both YS and OS) . All the liners I bought are extremely tight at the pinch point. I'm getting ready to run a Hanno liner in a regular RF case. just to seewhat it will do.

Anybody run one of these yet?

Also saw that it was one YS and two Hanno's, as for my last post. You never did mention why the YS needed a rebuild. Was it just old, bearings, or what?

The reason for the call to Nelson was for the break-in procedure. His reasposne was "run it, just don't run it lean." No speacial breakin procedure.. I mentionedthat I was planning to put caster oil in my gallon of 10% and he said to add 6oz.

I just happen to have a new OS 61RF liner and I compared ir to the Hanno. Other than the exhaust port, all other ports all arethe same. I also got out the trusty calipers and compared the regular 61RF p/l set to the Nelson Hanno. The regular 61RF psiton has the exact same measurements except for the piston skirt on the Regular 61RF is about 0.002 smaller. TheOD of the Hanno piston is the samefrom top toof the piston to the bottom. The cutout on the piston was different as well.

I've been reading up on liner modsand angling and rounding the outside of the liner seems to make the flow more efficient from what I've read. So not a speed demon just better. You'd need a wider throat on the carb, like the RF-P, to get more revs out of it.

Bryan
Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 PM
anuthabubba

Roguedog,

Thanks for the confirmation on my findings. Makes me happy to have the stock timing available in a well made piston/liner set. Sent a PM about the YS-R LS.

Terry in LP

ps: Run that P/L and post some good news!

Old 05-23-2009, 12:26 AM
anuthabubba

Oh yeah,

What kind of 10% fuel are you adding 6oz. of castor to? I have about ten pints of Benol and generally use Omega fuel due to availability.

Thanks,

Terry in LP
Old 05-23-2009, 05:16 AM
whatiwork4
My Feedback: (51)

any chance of  an os p/l set still being available.let me know please as I would like to buy one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.