Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Revenger flight after 30 years

Old 06-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Dick Russ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revenger flight after 30 years

Took the Revenger out this afternoon for the first flight in 30 years. Everything worked great (should with nee radio and engine) and only required minor trimming. I am attaching a few pictures for your enjoyment.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38628.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	971189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25741.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	971190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78980.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	971191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73923.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	971192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al71135.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	971193  
Old 06-15-2008, 04:59 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: Revenger flight after 30 years

Dick,

Looks real good.. wish it made the SPA cut off date !!! It would have been nice to fly one..

scott anderson
www.rcfoamy.com
Old 06-15-2008, 06:13 PM
WEDJ

Very nice - looks "slick" in the air. Welcome back. Kinda feels like riding a bike, doesn't it? You never loose the feeling.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 PM
RCDENT
My Feedback: (2)

Way to go Dick! For those who don't know, Dick Russ is the designer of the Revenger. I reviewed a "Model Merchants" ARC kit of the Revenger in Jan 1980 Model Airplane News. Mine ultimately fell to radio failure, but was a very sweet-flying bird for quite some time.

Dewey Newbold
Old 06-15-2008, 08:13 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news Dick!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Excellant!! Hope it brought a big ole smile to your face..

I hope you have many more happy flights..She sure looks nice in the air..

Chuck
Old 06-16-2008, 01:02 PM
stg61abc

Hi Dick, real nice !!!!
is possible to send pics from the plane closer ?? please also send one from you with the plane!!!
cheers...
Old 06-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Dick Russ

Here is few closeups in case you missed them earlier

Name:	Tr49947.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	972558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86482.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	972559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65755.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	972560  
Old 07-14-2008, 08:37 PM
RBI Allied Kin

Dick, glad to see you're still flying!!! This is Bob Imrisek as you might have figured from my username...

Paul (junior) sent me a link to your first Revenger thread on this forum a few days ago, so I decided to follow your story, & log on and reply. Hope you are still subscribed to this thread!

My Dad is now living with us, and just today we were going through his modeling stuff in the garage. Hanging on the wall is the orange / white / blue Revenger you built and later gave to him (he thinks it was a trade or something like that). It looks very good and I'm sure it is in flyable condition! It still has Kraft servos installed... If you are interested, I could post a few pix.

Mixed in with numerous kits, plans engines accessories etc., we came across other Allied Hobbies stuff including 1/2 A streaker kits and parts, Integra plans, the 40 & 19 sized prototype drawings and a bede 6 kit. We found an Integra dwawing that looks like the precursor to the Revenger design, it is red pencilled with the new shapes.

I have 2 survivor Integra kits which I plan to build ... after I'm through racing cars and go karts with the kids!

Got your E-mail address so we will drop you a line soon...

Cheers,

Bob
Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM
RBI Allied Kin

Correction! [>:][>:][>:]

I believe the model I have is the "Rustler" or "Russler"?

Dick, I Think you might have built this one sometime between the Integra design and the Revenger. That might explain the marked up plans I found.

I did find a set of bluprinted plans for the Rustler however...

Anyway, post up if you see this, I also sent you an e-mail...

Bob
Old 08-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Dick Russ

Hi Bob,
Thank you so much for the post. I wish you would post the pictures. I had forgotten all about the Rustler. You are right about the design. It was one that I had designed between the Integra and the Revenger. Your Dad and I would have probably produced it had we not sold Allied Hobbies MFG..

The original Revenger photos I posted earlier crashed turning final after the fourth flight. I had seen some stress cracks in the tail (and should have paid more attention to them); but why not a few cracks after over 1100 flights and thirty years. Apparently after doing some high stress aerobatics, it was more than the tail could handle and snapped off as I was turning final. I still have another that is built but not finished that I will complete and fly soon.

I will take a few pictures of it and post later.

I will call you this weekend (8-9-08)

Dick
Old 08-08-2008, 12:14 PM
ChiefK

Dick,

Really sorry to hear about the loss of your original Revenger. Glad to hear that you're building a new one. I'll look forward to the photos.

ChiefK
Old 08-08-2008, 05:21 PM
crashlander
My Feedback: (10)

Hi Dick:
Sorry to hear about the loss of your Revenger. I am planning a build later this year and have received the plans.
Great looking airplane. Looking forward to building one.

Thanks foir the design.

Orlando
Old 08-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Dick Russ

Hello to all in the group.

Regarding the failure of the empenage on the original Revenger I designed. As I mentioned before, the plane was over 30 years old and I stopped keeping a log after 1100 flights. After bringing it out of storage I noticed a crack around the entire empanage near the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer, but thought it was just the old epoxy paint cracking since there was several cracks in the old K&B Epoxy paint.

After careful examination of the wreckage, it apprears the stress cracks in the balsa sides were quite old. I could determine this by the discoloration of the balsa wood on the fuselage sides where it failed versus the fresh cracks on the ventral fin and the dorsal fin. which was all that was holding the tail on.

I'm not worried about the strenght of the tail on my new Revenger that I am nearly finished with, but if I were to build a new one from scratch, I would change the design to add two 1/64 plywood doublers to the fuselage sides below the horizontal stabilizer and extend them at least one inch forward of the leading edge. This would add substantial strength to the tail and have very little effect on the weight and balance.

The revenger normally always balanced closer to the forward CG when finished and as long as the balance is within the CG range it will fly perfect. It will spin easier with a aft CG. Personally I think it flew a little better with the CG nearer the aft CG point.

When I built the new replacement plane, I used Titebond glue and would recommend that for the entire construction. The finished flying weight should fall within 7 to 8 pounds depending on which retract sustem you are using. personally I like the Robart pneumatic system

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I am always glad to help fellow RC flyers.

I will post some pictures of the new Revenger that I am completing.

Dick
Old 08-10-2008, 10:24 PM
RBI Allied Kin

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

Here are a few pix of the Rustler, hope they come out OK, my first try at posting pictures!

Bob

Name:	Qn38600.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1008589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92225.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1008590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm22639.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1008591  
Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Dick Russ

Thank you for posting the pictures. They bring back great memories of when your Dad and I started Allied Hobbies Manufacturing and were flying the Pattern Contest Circuit.

You are right about the Rustler. It was a plane I designed between the Integra and the Revenger. It flew better than the Integra but not as well as the Revenger. Each of the designs had special flight characteristics based on the class the pilots were flying. Each plane flew very well but as the pattern manuevers became more difficult, I made changes to each design that I felt would improve the way they executed the manuevers. As you may remember, each design was capable of winning any pattern contest. Back in the seventies you could always find an Integra at a contest and the flyers normally always took home a trophy

It was really great visiting with you and your dad on the phone and will look forward visiting again soon.

Dick
Old 02-14-2021, 08:01 AM
Dick Russ

Bob, I would sure like to hear from you. please get back to me if you would.
Dick
[email protected]