Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Peppermint Pattie build

Old 10-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Marian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peppermint Pattie build

I haven´t been here for a week or so (too busy and way too stressed by situation on the stock market ...) and I have almost missed photos of that boat.
This is fantastic job, WEJD.

How much time do you spend weekly in your workshop?

Peppermint Pattie:
I have already made servo and linkage instalation (it is the most stressfull part of any model construction for me).
Sometimes, when it comes to servos and linkage, I prefer to leave the model for a couple of months and meanwhile start another one.
It has too reasons: 1. Too much time with the same model. 2. I want to make exit holes exactly where they should be and linkage the most straightforward. Brrrrrr ... I do not like doing it. I could say: I hate it.

Do you have some part of the construction which you hate?

Marian
Old 10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you.

I spend less time than I would like in the shop. Some few lucky weeks 10-12 hours, most weeks 0-2 hours.

I hate masking off for painting, and then cleaning the spray equipment.

More PP photos, please!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny how different people have different things that they enjoy and hate doing. I like running linkages and covering with plastic film. I hate cleaning up the spray gear, like you, Nick.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Marian

Linkage and servo instalation is a real headache for me ...

I am with covering now: vertical stabilizer and rudder are finished. I include also a foto of my favorite way of doing linkage.

Marian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13755.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1051873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95950.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1051874  
Old 10-14-2008, 04:03 PM
NM2K

I have never soldered a control linkage that way, Marian.

I did change over from using dowels for pushrods with threaded 2-56 or 4-40 wire fastened to the dowels. I now use plastic outer sheathing, like you, but use Great Planes solid wire with threaded ends. I also slip some inner Nyrod over the wire to take up the slack and to prevent the wire from beating against the sides of the outer sheathing.

What kind of solder did you use? I keep saying that I'm going to silver solder my linkage, when I have to solder, but I never get around to doing it. I haven't had a soldered control linkage fail yet. Like you, I use wire to bind the two together before soldering. I wouldn't do this on a giant scale model. I'm not saying that it would fail, but I usually don't have to solder anything on that type of model because of the servo being in the rear end of the model.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Marian

Hello,

I have just finished covering (it still smells to dope .

Marian

Name:	If10850.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1058449   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44414.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1058450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75433.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1058451  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:45 PM
NM2K

You do nice work, Marian. Thanks for the good pics.

Ed Cregger
Old 12-03-2008, 01:45 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Como estas Marian?

I was just wondering how your PP was coming along? She must be almost finished if not yet!

Saludos, David.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:24 AM
alcarafa

Saludos Marian; I think is about time you finish the PP and enjoy flying it
give us more pictures and final action c'mon.

Feliz Navidad y año nuevo.

Rafa
Old 02-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Marian

Hello,

It is ALMOST finished, just some minor details are missing. In fact I did not work on PP between summer and Christmast.
Here are some photos.
Total wight: 1.200 gr.

Marian

Name:	Nl29230.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1128648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14576.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1128649   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26823.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1128650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15038.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1128651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15749.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1128652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19951.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1128653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17696.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1128654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95649.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1128655  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24503.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1128656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md50770.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1128657  
Old 02-06-2009, 08:55 AM
WEDJ

Marian,

BEAUTIFUL!

I cannot wait until I read about your flight report. I like the way you did a soft fade on the blue trim.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 AM
NM2K

Here in the US, folks often get their model's speed radar timed. Do you guys ever do that in Spain? I would love to know how fast your PP is flying.

I don't know how fast mine went. Radar guns were still too expensive to privately own when I flew my Peppermint Pattie, but mine would pass a piped G60 powered Curare with retracts at what looked like five or ten miles per hour.

My PP was powered with a phenomenal HB .15 fitted with the stock muffler, burning 12.5% nitromethane fuel (Power Blast) and unstreamlined in the nose. The front end was smoothly butched without the cowl. I was lazy. The engine was spinning an old (even then) nylon Top Flite 7x4 that had been dyed red (Rit Dye). I suppose the red color was good for another 1k rpm. <G>

I'll bet that your PP will be a great deal faster running with that minipipe, if that is what it is.

Your finish looks absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing with us.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-06-2009, 10:43 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnificent Marian! That is a fantastic job. But, you should have used the Nadal color scheme.

David

Name:	Ro41733.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1128721  
Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Free Bird

It's been a while since I checked in on this thread, and I was just on the phone with WEDJ and he told me to take a look at the finished model. All I can say is WOW! Nice job Marian! Now to let us know how it flies!

FB
Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 PM
doxilia

Marian,

outstanding build & finish! It has those nice looks which blend grace and speed!

Felicidades, David.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Marian

Thanks everybody for your words.
I have chosen this colour scheme because I wanted to make it as classic as possible; and what could be more classic than the model built by its designer (Wedj).

Ed:
Sorry, now I noticed that I haven´t responded to your question about soldering linkage.
I do not use silver, just tin. First I solder both parts with very little tin, just to keep them together. Then I wrap the join with thin copper wire and solder it definitely.
I have experienced some dificulties with flux. I have tried several brands, but what works best for me is acid. Maybe not too ecological, but it produces super clean joins.
Finally I clean it with a lot of water and soap to neutralize any rests of acid to prevent rust.

I am very courious about this:
"Yes, there are many types of Lomcevak described over the years, but, to me, the only one that counts is the one where the model is moving forward at a good clip while the nose and tail swap ends several times. The PP performed this maneuver at high speed and made one heck of an amount of air noise while rotating.

I used to make folks dive for the space under their cars nearly every time I did the maneuver. It was hard not to laugh so hard as to nearly cause a crash. The best part was that the model was still at 50' of altitude, so I wasn't doing this down low to the ground and making folks think that I was going to hit them with the model. The sound it generated was that awesome and scared the dickens out of those that were not visually tracking the model. Just ask Henry Bunk. Hi, Henry!!!
"

Could you explain me this SCARY maneuver and how to do it?

I haven´t seen anybody here use a speed radar. So I will only make a comparison with another models.

If I remember well, this engine will spin MA 8x4 at aprox 18.000 rev./min. Do not take it now as exact number, I will check is this week.

By the way, I still have among my dearest things an old white Top Flite 8x4 prop. The very first time I came to fly my model I brought the propeller which was supplied with the engine. One gentleman looked at it and told me: throw that propeller away and use this one, giving my this Top flite one. Unbelivably it survived my first attempt in this hobby.
That gentleman became my "big brother". By the way: he was flying an airplane which I admired. It was Currare.

Regards,

Marian
Old 02-08-2009, 01:25 AM
alcarafa

Marian nice to see you'r back, very nice PP you did one great job and scheme looks outstanding, im sure it flies just as it looks.

Enjoy it and have a lot of happy landings with it, congratulations.

Disfrutalo y un abrazo.
Rafa
Old 02-08-2009, 01:53 AM
NM2K

Marian, I will be happy to describe how to do the Lomcevak "my way". Let me say that I've never seen another model perform this maneuver in the same manner as the Peppermint Pattie.

Flying at high speed in level flight, I pull up into a twenty to thirty degree climb, then I perform 1.5 positive snaprolls to the right, then I immediately shove the sticks into the outside/upwards corners. If the timing is correct, there is enough control throw and the model is balanced properly, it will begin tumbling end over end (with the nose pitching downward initially), making a horrible racket as it plows through the air. There haven't been many models with which I would try this maneuver for fear of them breaking up in flight. Remember, my model used sheeted foam wings, which were probably a great deal stronger than all wood wings. With your engine, I might be tempted to try this maneuver at less than full throttle.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 PM
WEDJ

As I recall the definition of a Lomcevak, it is the airplane rotating about all 3 axes at the same time. Kind of like a snap roll with super tight loops.

I used to attempt it by doing a rising snap roll, then moving the elevator from up to down. It worked (sometimes)
Old 02-09-2009, 04:54 AM
NM2K

To me, the Lomcevak is any maneuver that tumbles the nose and tail end over end. I could be wrong.

Ed Cregger
Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Marian

Hello,

I need your advice for launching PP.
The issue is that I have never launched any airplane.
How should I do it (level /upwards, soft or strong ??) and what can I expect at the beginning.

Nick, on that foto from 1976 you are launching it with the left hand. Are you left handed, or you do it to have control of the right stick all the time?

I use a transmitter tray.

Marian

Name:	Db84410.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1133788  
Old 02-12-2009, 04:39 PM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I recommend having somebody throw it for you, at least for the first few flights.

The electric guys hand launch all the time. Can you find one of them at your club? Your thrower shouldn't need to be giving it a pylon launch - you should have plenty of power with that motor. It should be firm, but not excessive. If he's good, he'll be able to know just by feeling it pull at full throttle.

Andy
Old 02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
WEDJ

hi Marian,

Are you excited? I am, just thinking about what you must feel!

Yes, I am left-handed. The PP will almost fly right out of your hand, no need to run. I stand still, give it full throttle, then give it a firm toss (very level wings!) at about 45 degrees as you see in the picture from 1976. Free Bird here on the forum has seen this a few times, and so has Mark-O.

After launch, the plane will go from about 3 meters high to 2.5 meters, then with a little "up" will climb right out.

The secret here is to trust that such a light plane with a good engine will accelerate to full flying speed in about one second. Do not worry about it hitting the ground after launch, just a firm toss is all it needs. No baseball throws, please.

I wish I could be there to help. Good luck, and I know you will be happy.

Name:	Ro42071.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1133974  
Old 02-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Marian

Hello,

Yes, I am very excited about PP. I am looking at that foto and imagine myself throwing the plane
If it were ARF, I would not hesitate to fly it inmediatelly.

This weekend I will have no time to go the fly. Hopefully the next week I try my PP.

Most probably I will do what Andy is suggesting, at least for the first fly.

Regards,

Marian
Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
doxilia

Marian,

what's the wing/stab span as well as the wing area on the PP?

Did you maiden her?

David.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.