Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Thinking about pattern flying

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 PM
M. Michael Meyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about pattern flying

I have been flying about 3 yrs and I am thinking about trying my hand at pattern flying in about a year. What is a good beginning set up for pattern flying?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:15 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking about pattern flying

Probably couldn't beat a Tower Hobbies Kaos 40 arf for the price
Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Great Planes Venus 40 and Venus II are two arfs that are good choices. I've been flying a Venus 40 with an AX .55 and it's a nice flying plane.

But, do a search in the main pattern forum for "first pattern plane" or "beginner's pattern plane" and you'll find several threads with plenty of suggestions. Here're a few:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_66...tm.htm#6645859
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4956623
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_74...tm.htm#7445936

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27890.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	984218  
Old 07-05-2008, 08:00 AM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sort of depends on what type of pattern you are looking for. Turnaround, or classic? The difference is turnaround scores every aspect of the flight, while classic scores only one maneuver per pass, the turns and corrections are not scored.

Turnaround - join NSRCA

classic - join SPA
Old 07-05-2008, 08:07 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Mike,

There are currently (3) types of pattern flying, and since you listed this in the classic section, I'm guessing that is what your thinking to start with.. But anyhow here it goes..

SPA- Senior Pattern Assoc. Any one can fly this and it is using planes from 12-1975 and prior. There are several ARF's that can be used and some kits to.

This is a low key , and low cost to get into pattern, In the novice class there few restrictions as far as planes, in the rest of the classes the planes must be SPA legal... see the link

http://www.seniorpattern.com/

BPA - Ballistic Pasttern Assoc. These are the planes with retracts, tuned pipes and fly the patterns prior to turn around.

AMA Pattern - Is the Turn around style of flying where all of your flying in the aerobatic box is judged.. It can be a bit more $$ and practice.. you can find the rules and patterns on the AMA website.

If you want a pattern style plane to improve your flying any of the ones mentioned will work, The key to a good plane is setup, and this is where time and practice comes in..

Well that's kind of the diffrent types in a nutshell.. I'm sure there can be more added..

Scott
SPA 239 NSRCA 529
www.rcfoamy.com

Old 07-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Ron King

The only thing I can add to Scott's great post is that I consider Pattern to be a State of Mind and you can use any plane to start.

Pattern is the willingness to fly with precision and accuracy. Instead of just doing maneuvers willy nilly in any old place, teach yourself to fly them precisely in the exact spot of your choice.

I have been a Pattern flyer since 1972, but haven't tried competition in many years. I use a Kaos 40 for practice and fun and think it's an inexpensive way to get your feet wet. I just picked up a Venus II to try my hand at the turnaround style flying, but am more interested in the SPA classic style. I've ordered up a Dirty Birdy kit and plan to build it over the fall and winter.

Welcome to the Pattern fraternity.

Ron