Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Ah, another G60 Bluehead...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ah, another G60 Bluehead...

I just opened the box and examined the ST G60 Bluehead that I bought off eBay a while back. With all the variations that are available, I got lucky and received the exact model that I have been using for twenty years (bought used from a friend). This one has a flat piston with a chromed liner and a piston ring, but not a Dykes ring. It feels great, but needs an antifreeze bath and some freshening up with a tooth brush. Not bad for $60.

The cylinder head is absolutely pristine. No scratches in the blued finish. Not even a smudge. The engine feels really great when turned over. Too bad that not a single new engine feels that good today (ringed, that is).

I'm smiling.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-10-2008, 11:48 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ah, another G60 Bluehead...

Congrats! As I'm sure you know - but some readers might not - an antifreeze bath can effect the anodized finish on the head.

David
Old 11-11-2008, 03:43 AM
NM2K

Yep, but I'll remove the cylinder head for this bath. Thanks for the reminder.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-11-2008, 06:02 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a nib hanno special that saw a lot of exposure over the yrs, the engine was mounted. i would love to clean it up a little but would hate to damage it in any way. would this way or the dawn power dissolver be the better way?

thx, david
Old 11-11-2008, 06:58 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

The antifreeze/crockpot method works very well...you don't need to get it hot though, just warm, say 100 degrees or so and that will not cause any discoloration, except to anodized parts. Just be sure to remove the head first or it'll probably come out pink...

I've been wanting to try the Dawn power disolver but can't seem to find it around here? If you try that method, don't leave it on for long though, just a few minutes, because (from what I've read in other RCU posts ) it can cause discoloration.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:10 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed,

Just a little info for you. It doesn't say it anywhere but the current ST .60 ring
will fit and work in the Bluehead. I resurrected an old Bluehead that needed
freshening up badly but couldn't find a ring anywhere so I thought I would just
give it a try and the new style ring fit and worked perfectly, compression restored !
Good luck

tommy s
Old 11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

David,

I'd also be concerned about the backplate pump on the Hanno in antifreeze (hot or cold). I've been trying to overhaul the used Hanno I bought but someone had the idea of using red thread lock on the BP bolts . I've been staring at it wondering how to loosen the BP without damaging the pump. I'm also not sure how the standard SF/RF drive washers, which look like they're anodized aluminum, will respond to antifreeze.

Any thoughts from the antifreeze experts?

Thanks, David.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:34 PM
NM2K

I didn't think about the pump in the Hanno. Thanks for bringing that up.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM
NM2K

Thanks, my friend. That is good to know about a new ring substitute.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: proptop

The antifreeze/crockpot method works very well...you don't need to get it hot though, just warm, say 100 degrees or so and that will not cause any discoloration, except to anodized parts. Just be sure to remove the head first or it'll probably come out pink...

I've been wanting to try the Dawn power disolver but can't seem to find it around here? If you try that method, don't leave it on for long though, just a few minutes, because (from what I've read in other RCU posts ) it can cause discoloration.

-

You have me worried about not finding the Dawn Power Dissolver. I haven't had to buy any since my original two bottle purchase. I'll have the wife look around. Who knows, maybe it isn't being sold any longer. I hope it is.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-12-2008, 02:53 PM
sugarfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed, do try the Dawn product. I used it on a fairly cruded up piece that had been laying around for a long while and after 2 applications it looked as new as it could. Like others have mentioned don't leave it on long. I think I lift in about 15 min or so and scrubbed under hot water and had an excellent result. By the way, hows the Banshee coming ??????? regards Sugarfox
Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yes, removing the pump is a good idea. i will try the power dissolver 1st though.

david
Old 11-12-2008, 03:59 PM
NM2K

I was one of the original advocates for using Dawn Power Dissolver a few years ago. Don't remember? No matter.

Yes, it does work great and it will get rid of baked on castor oil with a little effort and repeated applications. I use it when an antifreeze bath is not warranted (not enough engines to cook).

Ed Cregger
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Blendzall

Here's a couple of pics I took a while back when there was some discussion about baffled pistons in ST 60 Blueheads, but I never got around to posting.

I'm not much of a camera man, I don't think you can even see the baffles in either pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29244.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1071130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10221.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1071131  
Old 11-12-2008, 11:24 PM
sugarfox

Sorry Ed, I can't remember what I had for lunch today ...............................sugarfox
Old 11-13-2008, 12:26 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: sugarfox

Sorry Ed, I can't remember what I had for lunch today ...............................sugarfox

No problem, sugarfox. I know the feeling.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-13-2008, 12:28 AM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: Blendzall

Here's a couple of pics I took a while back when there was some discussion about baffled pistons in ST 60 Blueheads, but I never got around to posting.

I'm not much of a camera man, I don't think you can even see the baffles in either pic.

Do you know when that engine was made, approximately? I'm still trying to figure out the models/options/years of production of baffled and non baffled G60 engines.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

ORIGINAL: doxilia

David,

I'd also be concerned about the backplate pump on the Hanno in antifreeze (hot or cold). I've been trying to overhaul the used Hanno I bought but someone had the idea of using red thread lock on the BP bolts . I've been staring at it wondering how to loosen the BP without damaging the pump. I'm also not sure how the standard SF/RF drive washers, which look like they're anodized aluminum, will respond to antifreeze.

Any thoughts from the antifreeze experts?

Thanks, David.
Use a soldering gun or high-watt iron and hold it directly on the head of the bolts. It will heat the loctite enough to soften it up so you can remove the bolts. It will not pass enough heat to the pump diaphragm to hurt anything.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Blendzall

ORIGINAL: Ed Cregger

ORIGINAL: Blendzall

Do you know when that engine was made, approximately? I'm still trying to figure out the models/options/years of production of baffled and non baffled G60 engines.

Ed Cregger
Not really. The one without the muffler mounting holes has "Dec '71" written by hand on the box, but I have no idea who wrote it or when. It also has "22A" stamped on the bottom of the case. Other than that, I have nothing. They are both ringed, baffled, and have what appears to be a thin steel liner. It's not plated brass, for certain.