Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dirty Birdy 40

I have a set of plans for the DB 40 sitting here that I have had since the 80's. I called Great Planes a couple months ago about getting a release to get them copied since my local Kinkos will not touch them until I do. I heard nothing back.

I called them today and actully got a person who did some leg work and told me the rights had been sold to another company and he was going to try and find out who they were sold to. In the interim I wait, but figured maybe someone out in RCU land might know who bought the rights.

Any ideas?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Birdy 40

2 ideas,
1. Find another Kinkos or other do it your self copy shop. Most Kinkos in my area have self service and it's easy to copy plans on the large scanners.
2. Explain to that Kinkos that copying "your" plans for your own use does not violate copy rights! They are only protected from commercial use! Talk to the manager/franchise owner.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:17 PM
petec

Unfortunately they are the only game in town and the new manager is the one who told me no way.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Ram Jet

I agree with burtona. You can copy music or mivies for your own use but don't try to resell them. Another RCU member just cuts the legend off the plans and Kinkos doesn't bat an eyelash.

Bill
Old 12-17-2008, 09:42 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send them to me and I'll get them copied for ya. PM me if you're interested.

FB
Old 12-18-2008, 12:03 AM
petec

Check your inbox.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Roguedog

That new manager doesn't know his *ss from a whole in the ground. He's the manager of a kinko's for Gods sake, not a copy right attorney.

You are allowed to make as many copy's as you want of any plan you own. He can't say a word about it. I just finished a semester at my local communty college and you are allowed to make copies of any printed material there as long as your not trying to resell it for profit. Same at the public library. Students due it all the time for writing research papers. The guys a moron.

You should look around for a local reprographics company. They are normally used by architects or engineering firms for the purposes of making copies of building plans for submitting to the local building code department of the city or county in which you live. I can get up to 8 full size RC plans scanned for around $30.

Sorry for the rant.
Bryan
Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
petec

Oh, I agree, but he is the guy with the equipment to do what I want.

I had a buddy who owned a shop but Kinkos did him in and the old manager never had an issue with me making copies, which is how these plans have survived so long.

I'm sure it will all work out.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Roguedog

Sorry to hear that. You must be in a very small town if kinko's is the only place to get plans copied. Maybe you'll have better luck when FedEx finsihes taking them over. All kinkos out now carry the FedEx name exclusively. No more Kinkos.

I would call the corporate offices and make a complaint for discrimination. Even if nothing comes from it. You know what they say "snowballs get bigger as they roll down the hill." Complain to the right person high enough up the corporate latter and that white snowball turns into a *hit snowball for the people at the bottom of the hill. hehe

Bryan
Old 12-19-2008, 03:57 PM
petec

Found out a company called Kitty Hawk from Paoli Indiana has the rights. I called and left a message on what appears to be a persons home answerinf machine so we'll see what happens.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow!! I love my local Kinkos. I've copied about 2 dozen different kit plans and probably made 50-60 copies (total). Lots of help from the people working there and never a question about copyright issues. Most of these were MK plans from out-of-production kits. There is nothing illegal about producing copies of the plans as was said above. Selling them for profit may be an issue, but it would cost more to track down and prosecute than it would be worth - we're not talking 50,000 bootleg copies of a hot CD!
I've always made a copy of kit plans before I build, just to have a clean one for future reference.
Good Luck!!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Roguedog

petec. Been there done that with Kitty Hawk about a year ago. Called the listed number, i never got ahold of anyone. Maybe you'll have better luck.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:07 PM
petec

I have a feeling between the bonehead manager at my local Kinkos and waiting for Kittyhawk to call me I have run down a dead end alley. The manager is an road block, period. Kitty Hawk evidently is not a viable busness or I would have gotten a call back on my cell phone by now.

Oh well....we'll see what the future holds.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:12 PM
petec

Does anyone have a set of plans for the DB 40 they can look at and give me the incidence number?

I had shipped my plans to a guy to get a copy made but FedEx destroyed them in transit.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never built the plane but have a copy of the plans. 0 degrees incidence at the wing. No right or down thrust. 1/4" dihedral measured at the center of the wing section (inverted).

Jim
ORIGINAL: petec

Does anyone have a set of plans for the DB 40 they can look at and give me the incidence number?

I had shipped my plans to a guy to get a copy made but FedEx destroyed them in transit.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Bleh, Pete just build the Tipo and call it a day. LOL

-M
Old 01-04-2009, 08:12 AM
petec

Jim - Thanks

Mike - As soon as I get to it. I have a lot of plans here for plane that I want to build. An LA-! would make an AWESOME adition to my hangar though.....
Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 AM
propbuster

This manager is obviously an Idiot. Being a Manager of a Kinco's you would think he had a working knowledge or understanding of section 17 in the United States code regarding copyright law! There is a little thing called FAIR USE of copyrighted material. Here's an excerpt from Cornell University Law regarding this:

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use40
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include —

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

I'd call someone higher up in Kinco's and have them educate this guy in his job. Just my 2 cents [>:]
Old 01-04-2009, 09:10 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: Roguedog

That new manager doesn't know his *ss from a whole in the ground. He's the manager of a kinko's for Gods sake, not a copy right attorney.

You are allowed to make as many copy's as you want of any plan you own. He can't say a word about it. I just finished a semester at my local communty college and you are allowed to make copies of any printed material there as long as your not trying to resell it for profit. Same at the public library. Students due it all the time for writing research papers. The guys a moron.

You should look around for a local reprographics company. They are normally used by architects or engineering firms for the purposes of making copies of building plans for submitting to the local building code department of the city or county in which you live. I can get up to 8 full size RC plans scanned for around $30.

Sorry for the rant.
Bryan
Bryan,

"whole in the ground"???

Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The 'whole' hole!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Does that mean the hole in its entirety wholly bounded but not subjugated to the aforementioned paragraphs and descriptions thereof, or are we just talking about a hole, no more, no less?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

BTW, I have a set of DB 40 plans, let me know if you want me to get you a copy.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:00 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: Roary m

Does that mean the hole in its entirety wholly bounded but not subjugated to the aforementioned paragraphs and descriptions thereof, or are we just talking about a hole, no more, no less?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

BTW, I have a set of DB 40 plans, let me know if you want me to get you a copy.
Summarized as *sswhole?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:35 PM
propbuster

Wholly Presumedly purloined plans Batman!