Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

MK Wild Beat

Old 10-24-2009, 07:56 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: MK Wild Beat

i have most of the tail assembly finished now, although it's just sitting on the fuse at the moment. more importantly how do you install a MK elevator bellcrank assembly? i do not want to have to finish around an already assembled bellcrank (if i was to completely install it now). but i don't know how i would install it after the fuse is closed up. any suggestions? tia.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46099.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1301171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64405.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1301172  
Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Wild Beat is looking great David!!

Others may have some better opinions in the MK Bellcrank...I've only installed two which were in ARF airplanes and I made an access hole/hatch in the bottom of the fuse...I think next go round I'm going to try not to do the access hatch and try something different...Here is what I was thinking (if I can explain it so it makes sense??)

The MK bellcrank comes apart when you remove the socket head cap screw which is on one side...You can break it down so that you have the center control arm piece all by itself...I'm using central hobbies carbon fiber rods so I was going to attach the center control arm to the end of the CF pushrod and fish it back into the fuse...I imagine it will take a little patience but once I got the end lined up with the holes I would "assemble" the MK Bellcank in the aft fuse....

I'm pretty sure it will work because I actually had to remove and re-install one of my existing planes and did not use the access hatch to do it...It was really pretty easy...

Not sure if that makes any sense?? I wish I had some photos..Maybe when you disassemble yours it will be more clear...

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 AM
dhal22

Chuck, thx, i did some looking around and saw that idea. i'll try it before i close her up though.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:25 PM
dhal22

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

Your Wild Beat is looking great David!!

Others may have some better opinions in the MK Bellcrank...I've only installed two which were in ARF airplanes and I made an access hole/hatch in the bottom of the fuse...I think next go round I'm going to try not to do the access hatch and try something different...Here is what I was thinking (if I can explain it so it makes sense??)

The MK bellcrank comes apart when you remove the socket head cap screw which is on one side...You can break it down so that you have the center control arm piece all by itself...I'm using central hobbies carbon fiber rods so I was going to attach the center control arm to the end of the CF pushrod and fish it back into the fuse...I imagine it will take a little patience but once I got the end lined up with the holes I would ''assemble'' the MK Bellcank in the aft fuse....

I'm pretty sure it will work because I actually had to remove and re-install one of my existing planes and did not use the access hatch to do it...It was really pretty easy...

Not sure if that makes any sense?? I wish I had some photos..Maybe when you disassemble yours it will be more clear...

Have Fun...

Chuck

chuck, while waiting for paint to dry on the BA i came up with an idea to suspend the MK bellcrank in the fuse. i made little brackets with foam rubber inserts. i will send carbon fiber rods through the foam and suspend the middle ppart of the bell crank. also, while assembling the central hobbies carbonfiber rod the JB Weld oozed out some. i decided to roll kevlar thread in the JBWeld to further strengthen the connection.

Name:	Ec88778.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1322306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60384.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1322307  
Old 11-28-2009, 08:30 PM
dhal22

a photo of the cf rod going through the foam inserts and holding the center piece of the MK bellcrank. also some of the fuse is going together.

Name:	Hf97838.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1322312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13045.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1322313  
Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 PM
dhal22

more fuse assembly photos.

Name:	Jh14808.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1322315   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42499.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1322316  
Old 11-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Atlanta 60

Kewl Lookin'!!

(BTW there is an OS 140RX in the marketplace for just under 200 bucks right now)...
Old 11-29-2009, 03:30 PM
dhal22

thx, i sent him an emai already!. [sm=teeth_smile.gif] i will be on hold if i don't obtain an engine soon.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Atlanta 60

The used one for 200 is kinda a hodgepodge set up now that I look at it...Looks like you would need to buy a perry pump?? It was an EFI engine to start with...Hummm..Dunno enough about it but I do remember reading the EFI engines were expensive and guys had trouble with them...Maybe it runs good once it's converted to just a pumped engine like that one has been??

There is another brand new 1.40RX "Pumped" engine but it's like 370...Still cheaper than buying one retail!!
Old 11-29-2009, 05:41 PM
dhal22

The used one for 200 is kinda a hodgepodge set up now that I look at it...Looks like you would need to buy a perry pump?? It was an EFI engine to start with...Hummm..Dunno enough about it but I do remember reading the EFI engines were expensive and guys had trouble with them...Maybe it runs good once it's converted to just a pumped engine like that one has been??

There is another brand new 1.40RX ''Pumped'' engine but it's like 370...Still cheaper than buying one retail!!

some of the EFI problems seem to be dealt with on that engine. i sent an offer.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:04 AM
dhal22

there was a question on my blue angel build as to what the plans on the wall are. i decided to post a shot of the fuse as it is to date. i will install an os 1.40, thus the 2nd photo. please excuse the pink spinner, it came with the kit.

Name:	om34603.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	1368586   Click image for larger version

Name:	tp46474.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1368587  
Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 AM
dhal22

Kewl Lookin'!!

(BTW there is an OS 140RX in the marketplace for just under 200 bucks right now)...

chuck, guess which 1.40 is going on the wild beat.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:27 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a nasty looking engine!

How long a pipe do you need David? Space under the belly for it?

David.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM
dhal22

david, the wild beat is designed for rear exhaust, the engine is to be mounted inverted and there is a pipe tunnel in the design. once i settle on the throttle control design i will close up the nose and start the pipe tunnel work. i'll get some photos uploaded.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:59 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

David

Is there any way to have you post a PDF file of the Plan?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Rendegade

140 rx with a perry on it.... I feel a little queasy. [:'(]
Old 02-22-2010, 05:41 AM
dhal22

do i need a pump?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: dhal22

do i need a pump?
I would say Yes...I saw that fuel nipple on the backplate and assumed it had a pump...The 140 RX is normally a pumped engine but I'm not sure about the EFI version?? I kinda figured it would be pumped too...Hummm

The PD-06 pumps are available for the 140 RX or I suppose you could run a Perry pump if you wanted which would be much cheeper (the one for 2 strokes)...
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBZ59&P=7

I remember the ad for that engine when it was listed in the RCU Marketplace and thought the guy said it started out as an EFI engine which was converted to a regular pumped engine...The EFI version was suppose to have that blue head also...
Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 AM
dhal22

the previous owner is very helpful. i will recontact him and inquire.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:07 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

David,

there appear to be two pressure taps on the engine - one beside the exhaust and one as a backplate screw replacement. Is one of them intended to attach directly to the OS carb if present?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

140 rx with a perry on it.... I feel a little queasy. [:'(]
ORIGINAL: doxilia

David,

there appear to be two pressure taps on the engine - one beside the exhaust and one as a backplate screw replacement. Is one of them intended to attach directly to the OS carb if present?
The engine David has is/was actually a OS 140 RX-FI (Fuel Injected) version which was a little different than the normal pumped version...The threaded area in the cylinder housed a temperature sensor then the other tap is pressure...Attached is a copy of the "FI" manual...The engine looks really neat but I've read people had lots of trouble with them...I saw the RCU Marketplace ad which David got this engine from and remember the guy saying he dropped the Fuel Injection set-up and ran it much more reliably as a pumped engine (assume he was using a Perry pump but I forget for sure)...He said it was great as a pumped engine and the "FI" part was a real pain to deal with...

I want one of these engines too (the pumped version)...They are suppose to be spectacular but I don't really have an airframe to justify it...They run about 500 bucks which is just enough to keep me from buying one just cause it's Kewl... [8D]

Now a days it seems to be a great engine without a purpose...Unless your building a MK Wild 7 that is...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Vt58035.pdf (3.28 MB, 105 views)
Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 PM
dhal22

Chuck has it right. the engine was modified back to a conventional setup. the engine was on a expert class competition plane for a season so it should be in good shape.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Atlanta 60

Being particularity interested in engines I tried to do a little studying on this OS 140 RX-FI...Although I've actually read about this in the past it's been a while so I forgot allot of the details...A couple of interesting things I read:

The EFI engines were Very Expensive!! 1100+ dollars to purchase the OS 140 RX-FI engine!!

When they worked correctly the FI engines excelled in linear throttle response and had allot of power...When they broke they were incredibly expensive to get fixed...The electronic parts of the fuel injection system were apparently the biggest part of the problem...They engine itself is great and it even came with better bearings than the normal 140 RX does...The bearings in the normal 140 RX pumped engines should be upgraded to the FI bearings before you even run it for the first time...The stock bearings in the pumped engines aren't any good so a swap to a good quality stainless bearing is highly recommended...

The EFI engine comes with the blue head as seen in David's photo and the normal pumped engine's head is black...

Apparently allot of guys did the mods like Davids engine when the EFI electronics crapped out...Since there is a fuel injector on the FI engine rather than a conventional carb you had to change to a different carb such as the Perry as in Dave's case...Plus then of course you'll need to add a pump...When those mods are done it's once again a fantastic engine...

I suppose you could buy yourself a spankin' new OS PD-06 pump and an OS 70A carb but you would be talking allot of money!! The Perry carb and pump makes allot more sense money wise and supposedly runs very well...

I'm sure they were very hot when the first came out but eventually it became apparent the EFI engines were troublesome...Some guys were saying you can buy two normal 140 RX engines for the cost of one EFI engine...Then once you changed the bearings out to stainless you would have almost as powerful engine which is totally reliable...I suppose that sort of logic is why the Fuel Injected engine was apparently pretty short lived...Just too costly to own and operate for the masses...

Sounds like Dave has a fantastic engine and just needs to get a Perry VP-30(?) pump...

OK sorry for rambling!!

Neat Stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing this plane come to life!!

Chuck

P.S. Dave...Can you save all the scrap wood that you knocked out the formers and stuff from...I know my list of things to do is waayyy long but I can see me wanting to do one of these in the future...Plus it would be a good reason for get me one of those fancy engines like you got...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 PM
dhal22

chuck, yes you can have the scrap pieces. and i have a rekitted 50 cc size extra that i've pulled a Moki 2.10 and perry pump off of. so i suppose i already have the pump. thanks for the help there chuck.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 PM
dhal22

there has been a request for a pdf of the plans. here you go:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nk28144.pdf (1.51 MB, 114 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.