Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Bridi Great Escape.... Which Engine????

Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Bridi Great Escape.... Which Engine????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:57 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridi Great Escape.... Which Engine????

I have dug out my Bridi Great Escape pattern kit and will build it over the next several months. As it was designed for anything from a rear exhaust .61 to a 1.20 four stroke, I have an interesting choice to make: Jett Barstock .90LX, or an OS Max 1.20 Surpass with a pump. The .90 is of course, a monster of an engine, but does not have the torque curve of the 1.20. Which one would you use???

Mike
Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Bridi Great Escape.... Which Engine????

im useing a rossi 61 in mine
Old 02-02-2010, 06:41 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i like the jett idea. i know of a scratch built speed/pattern plane build going on with a Jett .90 FIRE engine on the nose.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 AM
smith629
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Jett engines are some bad to the bone engines. You would never be sorry you chose one.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 AM
glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: smith629

Those Jett engines are some bad to the bone engines. You would never be sorry you chose one.

Yes, it is. I own both engines, and the nose would have to be considerably different depending on which engine I choose. I am leaning toward the Jett.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

No question - Jett. A Surpass ought to be in an enclosed cowl...

But we are the classic pattern forum

David.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people want to power them up with electric motors. I know, it doesn't make sense to me either, but let others have their fun as they see fit. After all the classic car collectors, and the hot rodders get along, working on the same age vehicles as they see fit.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:19 PM
doxilia

Alas..., I am guilty of that (but not on all classics - some are not permissible)

Actually the knife-edge between vintage/classic and modern/high-tech is where I find it's coolest to ride - keeps your brain working.

David.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 PM
glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: doxilia

No question - Jett. A Surpass ought to be in an enclosed cowl...

David.
I have decided to go with the Jett..... it is a lot prettier than the Surpass. I have replaced the sheet wood in the kit for the wings and stab, saving about 30 grams, and I am also considering replacing the fuse sides.... they are darned hard. With judicious use of epoxy on the sheeting, taildragger and main retracts, and a nice Monokote job, I'm thinking around 7.5 to 8 lbs.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
doxilia

Good idea.

Fuse sides strike me as always being 1/16" (at least) too thick than necessary on the older designs. Problem is, that you end up with a skinnier overall fuse unless you adjust by using wider formers. A 1/8" outer narrower fuse on a 60 size ship is not something that I would break a sweat over though.

All you probably need is 1/8" fuse sides (especially if there is a ply doubler) or 3/16" but they are probably 1/4" or 5/16". If necessary you can add an additional 1/8" lite-ply former (or CF strip) for stiffness. If you do re-cut, this also allows you to adjust the height eliminating some of the often unneeded wood in the blocks (top and bottom).

David.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 PM
glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Good idea.

Fuse sides strike me as always being 1/16'' (at least) too thick than necessary on the older designs. Problem is, that you end up with a skinnier overall fuse unless you adjust by using wider formers. A 1/8'' outer narrower fuse on a 60 size ship is not something that I would break a sweat over though.

All you probably need is 1/8'' fuse sides (especially if there is a ply doubler) or 3/16'' but they are probably 1/4'' or 5/16''. If necessary you can add an additional 1/8'' lite-ply former (or CF strip) for stiffness. If you do re-cut, this also allows you to adjust the height eliminating some of the often unneeded wood in the blocks (top and bottom).

David.
Outstanding point, David. I have some much lighter 3/16th balsa I am going to weigh up against the current fuse sides..... you could make a entry door threshold out of the ones in the kit
Old 02-02-2010, 04:48 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot
Some people want to power them up with electric motors. I know, it doesn't make sense to me either, but let others have their fun as they see fit. After all the classic car collectors, and the hot rodders get along, working on the same age vehicles as they see fit.
Not at the car shows I worked! The collectors/restorers saw the hot rodders as crude butchers who had no respect for original metal or parts. The rodders saw the restorers as old fuddy duddies, the guys who drive 5 under the limit in the fast lane. Rodders welcome use of glass parts (when necessary - metal still is better for strength/longevity) and repro or hopped-up parts but the restorers wanted ORIGINAL steel, not repro (unless forced to), and ORIGINAL bakelight knobs and such.

It's funny, but I see the same thing going on here. There are guys who are happy to let an original kit dry rot and would put down somebody who wanted to build it, while others would welcome modifications to a design to improve some aspect.

What's really funny is the one group which insists on doing things "the old way" but disallows some original equipment like retracts and allows others like modern 4-strokes but not certain old ones, and allows all sorts of airframe changes so long as they paint an old name on the nose. To me it's like somebody building a '28 Coupe with a Hemi engine and insisting on using the original spoked rims.

Personally I think a middle ground would be good. I like the old designs - the jet-like performance ones more than the early 1960's stuff - but I can see how they can be improved construction-wise, or re-engined to decrease noise and weight. Changing a design a smidgen is fine, but don't call it the same thing if you're changing the wing or tail or dihedral or side area in a major way.

Andy
Old 02-06-2010, 07:57 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

got a photo of that Jett .90 barstock? FIRE i assume. did you order a pipe to go with it?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 PM
glowplugboy

ORIGINAL: dhal22

got a photo of that Jett .90 barstock? FIRE i assume. did you order a pipe to go with it?
No, it's a side exhaust. I have several FIRE .61's from the 80's, including a NIB Rossi, but the BSE .90 with Jett tuned muffler is plenty strong......
Old 02-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny, but I see the same thing going on here. There are guys who are happy to let an original kit dry rot and would put down somebody who wanted to build it, while others would welcome modifications to a design to improve some aspect.

What's really funny is the one group which insists on doing things "the old way" but disallows some original equipment like retracts and allows others like modern 4-strokes but not certain old ones, and allows all sorts of airframe changes so long as they paint an old name on the nose. To me it's like somebody building a '28 Coupe with a Hemi engine and insisting on using the original spoked rims.

Personally I think a middle ground would be good. I like the old designs - the jet-like performance ones more than the early 1960's stuff - but I can see how they can be improved construction-wise, or re-engined to decrease noise and weight. Changing a design a smidgen is fine, but don't call it the same thing if you're changing the wing or tail or dihedral or side area in a major way.

Andy
Andy - I like the way you're thinking here!

FB
Old 02-07-2010, 03:31 PM
doxilia

Yup!

I suppose I'm in the same boat too.

David.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 PM
glowplugboy

Over two years after I started this thread, I finally have time to work on the Great Escape. I see in the plans and in the written instructions there is no suggestion for side or down thrust in the engine.... Suggestions on this?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-20-2020, 09:11 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

I hear more about the XLT and Escape but not much about the Great Escape.
Looking at the plans there doesn't like much room for servos and fuel tank. Also with the wing being higher up in the fuse looks like it makes the landing gear struts much longer.
Appreciate anyone posting there pictures and experience with one.
Thank you
Old 01-20-2020, 05:36 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The Great Escape resulted from changes implemented to the Escape design by Bill Cunningham. He flew it very successfully, then evolved it into the 60 sized Malibu which used the wing and stab from the Great Escape and a fuselage design which looked very much like a Dash-5. The final version was a bit bigger for 120 4-strokes. Here's a photo which I'm sure you've seen before: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=20 (bottom of the page)
Old 01-21-2020, 08:02 AM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Hi flywilly,

Appreciate the link.

I've been looking but never saw a build thread for the Great Escape.