Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > Classic RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Hanno Prettner later WC designs - drawings?

Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Hanno Prettner later WC designs - drawings?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:05 AM
krypto71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hanno Prettner later WC designs - drawings?

Hi Matt,

I recieved the plans, cores and canopy for the 60 size many years ago from the designer, Ian Bendle, just prior to the aeroplane appearing in the magazine. It flew beautifully. The knife edge flight was amazing, for a design with such little side area. The kryptonite is still a favorite of mine, along with Hanno's Suprastar, which I was never lucky enough to own.

The final evolution of the Kryptonite I believe had a 10% enlarged fuselage, and straightened off wing tips.

Yes, sorry about going OT. Mods feel free to remove my posts.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 PM
sw74gls

Hi every one just been reading through the post's, in 1990 I loaned my Prestige EZ Supra-star 60 to a surveyor who built a Fantastic replica including Paint job, in which he gave me a very highly detailed set of plans, if any one would require one please let me know, many thanks......
Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PM sent.

David
Old 03-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Jon Wold

The Sensation is fantastic! I think it needs a thread of its own so more can follow it. Can the thread be split up?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:06 PM
doxilia

Yes indeed Jon - the Sensation is sensational!

If Darren builds his, hopefully he'll do a separate thread on it.

I would be inclined to doing a 30 or 50 size version but starting from scratch is a lot of work of course. Working on a Mystic at the moment.

By the way, how's your MK Acromaster coming along (I have good memory for these things...)

David.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:35 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

About Prettner Calypso:

I did know Modeltech kitted thisplane. Later I found Aviomodellialso kitted it (in varios Mk1, 2 , 3 versions).
Now I have found out that World Engines also kitted a Calypso 60 2-stroke / 90-1204-strokebalsa kit (with foam wing I think).

So what is the best flying plane of the two: Modeltech or World Engines?

Anyone know?

/Bo

Old 03-19-2010, 05:38 PM
doxilia

Bo,

I think the Modeltech and World Engines are the same, except the MT came in ARC form.

You've seen the kit...

David.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 PM
BERUSTY

Hanno Prettner designs...

World Engines vs. Modeltech Calypso...

I have acquired both versions in the last (9) months the World Engines "Sport" version of the Calypso and the Modeltech Calypso.

The WE had sheeted wings and stab and one had to build the fuselage, came with a different canopy shape and fixed gear. The Modeltech is more representative of Hanno's model but did not have Hanno's aileron design/location

I gave Dave Guerin the "sport" version and he has it just about ready to fly. I imagine he will bring it to Chicago and we can better document the differences. His will be powered by a gorgeous vintage ST .61 Blue Head (non-ABC) and has conventional gear...he said he is gonna add wheel pants....aahhhh!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old 03-20-2010, 05:32 AM
bem

Hi,

Yes I have seen the kit now...

/Bo
Old 03-20-2010, 09:31 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Interesting Rusty, I did not know WE had two versions of the Calypso kit, one with and without builtup fuse. I have two ARC Calypso kits with builtup fuse.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:19 AM
bem

Rusty, very good information on World Engines Calypso.

By the way, if anyone has a Modeltech Calypso unbuilt kit that you want to sell please PM me. I have been looking for one for a long time.

/Bo
Old 03-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Rendegade

so did anyone ever find or do any plans for the mystics?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:02 PM
doxilia

Rendegade,

glad you're interested in the Mystic.

Yes, I do have a plan for an OK Mystic 30 which will eventually be scanned and reworked in CAD for laser production. The OK model has an overbuilt fuse but will be easy to modify for proper lightness. Wing and empennage are fine as designed and they will merely be put into CAD. The only thing preventing an easy blow up for the 60 or 120 size model would be the stab airfoil since the 30 size version has flat tail surfaces. I do however have the stab airfoil used on the 90 (4-stroke) sized ARF.

Attached is a shot of the 30 being built (rather slowly I should add...). The holes in the side of the fuse are not part of the design but made in order to lighten the airframe. It hasn't suffered in stiffness as most of that 1/8" sheet balsa is not structural.

David.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69586.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	1402893  
Old 03-30-2010, 05:28 PM
bem

Hi,

I have got the Supra Star plan now. I will scan it tomorrow. I might post a PDF file soon here so it can be viewed by others. It is a plan drawn from EZ Supra Star ARF by a person in England. He named his "copy" of EZ Supra Star "Dupli-Star" (I suppose Dupli is abbreviation ofduplicate, copy).

/Bo
Old 04-02-2010, 03:33 PM
bem

Hi,
OK, here is the Supra Star plan in PDF. No guarantees all measurments are correct and wing+stab profiles are correct but most things are probably as accurate as one can make a drawing from the EZ Supra Star ARF with reasonably effort and time. I have the plan in TIF format also if someone want that.I would guess it is not many drawings around on Hanno Prettner Supra Star so this drawing is probably rather unique. The person from England who made the drawing must have all credit for doing the job. If I knew his name I would suggest a donation to him (I do not have his name or e-mail) if You download the plan and build from it. I got the plan from Ray Jennings from Ireland (via another person)so I could make a copy of it and scan it - many thanks Ray! I know there are some inaccuracies in the drawing so use it with critical eyes if you build from it. If You want to plot the PDF You need a huge paper (1575 x 1017 millimeter paper).

/Bo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sq47850.pdf (2.01 MB, 1833 views)
Old 04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
doxilia

Bo,

indeed very unique and nice plan. Thanks for posting this. Two comments:

I received a World Engines Calypso yesterday which I believe we discussed briefly a week or two ago (yes, the one on auction). While this is neither the Aviomodelli with the composite "plastic" fuse (not crazy about that one), nor the Model Tech ARC, it resembles the latter in spirit. I'd say the main difference is that the WE comes with sheeted wings and stabs but an unbuilt fuse while the MT is really a true ARC. It probably came down to whether there was skilled enough labour at Blue Bird (WE) vs that at Great Wall (MT).

I went to task on the flying surfaces yesterday and after a good workout have the wings in shape after loosing a good .5 oz per panel. Unfortunately rather than use 1.5 mm (1/16") sheeting, 3 mm is used which isn't quite 1/8" but close - too much. Using plenty of coarse sandpaper, followed by 3 iterations of increasingly finer paper, I now have them down to < 3/32" and plenty smooth. I'll attempt to compensate for this in the build of the fuse where I can loose weight in a few places. But I'm getting into the details. Anyhow, what I'm getting at, is that there is a nice plus with the WE kit as it provides a good set of pieces to use as templates to make up some plans. I was actually about to start drafting the formers. So with some effort, this may result in a first set of Calypso plans which I believe doesn't exist.

Interestingly, the difference in concept between the Supra Star and the Calypso is, overall, very little. The model is built very much per the SS plans you posted. The only setup difference, in principle, is how the engine is installed. In the original Calypso, Hanno used a ST S61 SE at 57 degrees with pipe as shown in the SS plan. In the SS plan, a RE engine is shown. I don't think there was any design difference because of this; simply the engines that Hanno was asked/decided to use at the time. I'll be setting up the Calypso with a RE engine per the SS plan which makes more sense to me.

So point one is that I hope to have some semblance of a plan (probably similar to these SS plans) for the Calypso sometime in the not too distant future. It is amazing to me how, after the Magic, Hanno designed increasingly simpler models. A box, a turtle deck, a pipe and some wings. Other than that, the details in design difference between the Calypso, Supra Fly, Supra Star and Mystic are all in the geometry, moments and airfoils. If we were really hard core (I'm afraid I'm not), we'd build one each in the same scale (60's would make sense) as a point of comparison research. If I was still in my 20's I'd probably want to do it - now, not so.

Point two is that I should be able to obtain some Supra Star plans for the 25 size OK Models version. All the OK Models kits of Hanno's designs (also parent company of the EZ ARF's) essentially build in the same way. Several 1/8" ply formers, a thick 1/8" ply doubler and 1/8" balsa sides. In fact, it appears that OK designed these in order to only need 3 sizes of wood - 1/16", 1/8" and 1/8" ply... I guess there is a touch of 3/32" (2 mm) here and there.

The WE Calypso, cut and built by Blue Bird Models, strikes me as being produced by a company from the same people as OK. Their box color scheme is the same. The design is practically identical except that metric 3/16" is used for the fuse sides and, fortunately, the doubler is close to 1/16" ply (probably 1 mm) rather than 1/8". I won't need to bore out the fuse rear on the Calypso as on the Mystic in the photo shown above.

As far as I'm aware, OK never kitted a Calypso 25 but together with the OK Mystic, SF and SS plans, a CAD plan of the Calypso would also complement the trio nicely. Further, it would be nice to have a quintet of plans including the Sensation to complete Hanno's post Magic conventional gear era - the '80's and early '90's.

David.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
doxilia

I managed to scan in and prep some of the documentation that comes with the WE Calypso. The stitching is somewhat crude but readable. There are two more hand sketched (probably in China) drawing sheets from the pre-computer era and a typed letter from Mr. John Maloney, President of WE. I'll get to them later.

David.

Name:	Zx70583.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1410378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24308.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1410379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45250.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1410380  
Old 04-02-2010, 06:35 PM
RFJ

The person from England who made the drawing must have all credit for doing the job.
I agree Bo but it's so long ago that I just can't remember who it was. I seem to recall that it was made available to GBR/CAA members at the time so someone may know it's origin. You did a good job restoring my rather tatty copy.

Ray
Old 04-02-2010, 06:45 PM
bem

Hi Ray,

Yes I spent some hours "cleaning up" the drawing so it would be nice to plot. I removed black "spots" etc on the scanned drawing, enhanced somefaded linesand also made a new frame on outer edge. The result was good enough to place it here so other can use it if they want.

/Bo
Old 04-04-2010, 03:56 AM
krypto71

Guys, thankyou so much for making these plans available to us!

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Viktor D

Hello guys,

finally I arrived at home and could see what I shot at ebay a few weeks ago . I´s a pilot SupraStar25 kit (200EUR for the SS25!). I got a plan of the SupraFly25 some few month ago - so was able to compare.
I would really like to know what is he difference in the air - the constructional changes seems not to be dramatically. It seems to me like the changes were due to a common shift from the jet like appearance to a more acro style. The cabin has been moved a bit to the rear, the wings are a bit rounder. Bu the construction and the wing section remain the same. Both planes could be build with a 2 or 3 cycle gear. But it seems the Sf had a focus on 2 cycles and the SS on 3.

Name:	Jg14250.jpg
Views:	1429
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1411538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17662.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1411539  
Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 PM
doxilia

Viktor,

uncanny! I've been flipping back and forth between the pictures to see how the two models differed.

It appears to me that the differences were primarily aesthetic. If the airfoil between the two is the same, there's a slight difference in the wing/stab planform which basically amounts to the tips. Other than that, I suspect that the measurement between the wing LE and TE fuse bulkheads is the same and so is the angle. The only difference is really the shape of the canopy. Finally, the cowl on the SS went from the open cheek concept of the SF to the close concept of the Mystic. It's quite possible that the SS has the same cowl as the Mystic. By the way, I believe that the cowl on the SS is either molded from red plastic or painted red - possible?

It would be interesting to compare the moments between the SF and the SS and further to compare them to the Calypso and the Mystic. I have to say that what's missing from the growing OK Hanno lineup is a Calypso 25... I'll start drafting Calypso plans soon (actually empennage drawings are done) which means that a Calypso 25 WILL be possible. [8D]

I built a Super Pacer a couple of months ago and I chose it because I wanted something easy and fast to build for an electric motor I had (then of course I complicated life for myself in removing 1/3 of the plane during the build ). I couldn't picture a simpler aerobatic model to build in looking at the plans. Well, I was wrong. The Calypso is in some ways simpler yet - especially for a World Championship winning model! When I received the kit I wondered, so where's the fuse wood!? It was there, it's basically a couple of sides, a few formers and some sheet balsa.

I love the look of finished (Mystic 30 - 1993 WC) or almost finished (Calypso 60 - 1983 WC) empennage so I thought I'd share some shots. Actually, after the state in which the Calypso stab cores were in, things are looking much better now.

Although the flat stab sections of the OK and MK 25 size kits are fine, I have to say that an airfoiled stab would look that much cooler! It looks like we have some work to do Viktor! Actually, dare I say, a little too much...!

Anyone else building an '83-'95 Prettner classic? How about a Sensation!?

David.

Name:	Wu62238.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	1412052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74194.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	1412053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24105.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	1412054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96300.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1412055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89521.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1412056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh64819.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	1412057  
Old 04-04-2010, 10:12 PM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: bem
Great information David and Ray.

Calypso - I suppose the Modeltech building manual could be used as a good starting point to make a drawing. Best would be to have a Modeltech Calypso unbuilt to take measurements on.

Supra Fly 60 - great to know the 30 seize drawings could be used and scale up, probably Supra Fly 2500 drawings would be a good starting point also.

Supra Star 60 - I would sure be interested in a copy of that drawing you have Ray, of course I will pay the price you ask for to have a copy (on paper or digital like a PDF that can be printed/plotted).

Mystic 60 - great there are drawing for the smaller Mystic 30 that can be scaled up. I will try to find paper copy or if anyone has it digital I would be interested in a copy.

/Bo
Bo,

I have to say this thread is quickly becoming extremely valuable - at least to me. Hopefully it won't disappear into thin air one of these days.

A comment on the Calypso 60. As mentioned a couple of posts up, I have acquired an un-built Calypso. No plans but parts to produce one. I have since learned that there is no fundamental design difference between the Model Tech and Blue Bird Calypso's. Both were made for World Engines distribution in N.A. and any differences between the two were due to the fact that one was sold built (the MT) while the other came as a wood/foam kit (BB).

I have learned though that there may have been some difference with the Aviomodelli Calypso not in the materials (which there were) but design wise. I believe that there may have been an Aviomodelli that came with F3A (Aurora style) type ailerons rather than strip ailerons. However, this may have been a builders modification and I believe that Hanno's WC model used strip ailerons.

Regarding engines, I'm wondering why Hanno chose the ST S61. It strikes me as though it might have been a marketing/ease of use decision. Given the existence of the X60, it would have been a better fit with the design.

I was planning to use a YS 61 on my model but it just seems fitting to use this puppy below! The blue head and blue fuse bottom will be a nice touch. Maybe the X25 is also the perfect candidate for an eventual Calypso 25 (or any other of the 25's).

David.

Edit: Life is definitely too short...

Name:	Ig13413.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	1412063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53412.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	1412064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48719.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	1412065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61891.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	1412066  
Old 04-18-2010, 04:54 PM
doxilia

Prettner fans,

just thought I'd post a couple of pics of progress on a Calypso. Business end almost finished. Took a while to get the cowl in acceptable shape. Power will be a new vintage '81 ST X60 (see previous post). This was Hanno's engine in Mexico on the Magic I believe.

David.

Name:	Jh14533.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	1420410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33979.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	1420411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30688.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	1420412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39869.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	1420413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz31095.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	1420414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10383.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	1420415  
Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Paternguy

Is that a nose gear in the wing? LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.