Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

curare restoration

Old 03-02-2010, 09:24 PM
dphillips3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: curare restoration

I fly out of Alabaster Rc Club. Have you ever flown patern? There should be two BPA contest this year in Al. WOOHOO!!!
One in Huntsville and possibly one in Mount Olive. We host two Spa contest at our field. May is a beginner novice contest and sept we have a regular SPA contest. We would like to have a BPA contest at Alabaster but the field is too thick for retracts. Huntsville and Mount Olive both have paved runways.

If you are interested in trying it out, our beginer contest is alot of fun, we fly a novice class and a begginer novice class wich is a simplified novice. It is one day contest and is extremely laid back. If you are interested look us up.

David

Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 PM
chrisseawright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive never tried to fly patern before but since I have 4 pattern planes now I have downloaded the info from the spa website and would like to learn we have had a few spa contests at our field in attalla but thats about the only time there are pattern pilots there so pretty much have to learn on my own. Not sure if there will be a spa contest there this year but we do have a paved runway and the other field I fly off of is grass but its short and is no problem for any of my planes so shouldnt be a problem.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
chrisseawright

got this engine today os max rf 61 what are everyones thoughts on this engine it is new in the box thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris,

it appears that you are posting comments referring to photos but there aren't any in your posts. Are you familiar with how to upload images? If not, when you click reply, at the bottom of the typing window, there is a bar with a paperclip icon that says "File". Beside it to the right you'll see "Click here to upload images and files". You do that, select the file(s) you want to upload, press OK and then wait for the upload to complete before submitting the post. If you submit the post before the upload is finished, there will be no photos.

Hope this helps,

David.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:18 PM
chrisseawright

here is a pic of the motor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62576.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1391021  
Old 03-04-2010, 01:34 PM
doxilia

Another couple of suggestions:

No flash, not in front of a computer monitor, use macro focus and put the engine under an incandescent light.

It's also better to lay it down on the table and shoot it from above unless you can keep it vertical and shoot it almost horizontally.

We'll just be ale to see what you want to show us...

David.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
chrisseawright

ok I have the wing sanded down with no paint or primer the wing weight 2 pounds 4 ounces. This is with the landing gear, landing gear servo, and aileron servo. I havent weighed the fuse yet but will try to tonight. Does this seem heavy for the wing at this point or is it still light enough to do glass and paint or should I go with just paint thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM
doxilia

Chris,

it's hard to gauge your wing weight with equipment in it as we don't know how much that weighs. A good weight for a ready to finish 60 size wing without gear is somewhere in the 22-26 oz ballpark - 22 is excellent, 26 is ok.

If your gear (servos and landing gear) combined weigh 10 oz or more, then you have a good wing since it will be 26 oz or less (at the moment it stands at 36 oz with gear). Assuming your fuse/empennage AUW will be 5.5 lbs max, then this allows a 3 lb max AUW for the geared wing for an 8.5 lb model (less is better of course). In any event, given your wing stands at 36 oz now, unless you add an enourmous amount of weight with the finish, you should be able to produce a finished sub 3 lb (48 oz) wing.

I'd suggest that if you want to paint it, glass it also. Otherwise, sand it down smooth and cover wing, stab & rudder and glass and paint fuse and fin. Covering the wing and stab typically results in a lighter model albeit perhaps not as slick or durable as an all painted one.

The 61 RF is a beautiful engine and would be perfect for the Curare assuming you're happy with a side mounted engine with pipe running down the side of the fuse (typically, they had the pipe under the fuse).

David.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
chrisseawright

My fuse is glass not an original wood fuse so wont need to do anything there just sand and repaint the wing is a foam core sheeted wing. As for the rear exhaust motor the original motor was a side exhaust mounted sideways and the pipe went under the wing I didnt know weather or not I could find a header with an S bend in it to make this one go under the wing. I paid $100 for this motor and could use it on something else if it doesnt work here just thought it might be a good motor to have. Is there alot of differences between this motor RF .61 abc and the RF .61 abc hanno special
Old 03-04-2010, 03:25 PM
chrisseawright

Also another question I have is this motor has a 7L carb on it would it be beter to go to the O.S. type 86 carb and pump
Old 03-04-2010, 03:42 PM
doxilia

Chris,

if the engine is pumped then you'll need the 86 otherwise keep the 7L.

Yes, there is much difference between the standard RF and the Hanno version. They're designed for different props and RPM peak. The latter also is more powerful.

I don't think you'll find the header commercially for the RF to direct the exhaust and pipe under the wing but you could have it custom made. A Webra Speed 61 or an OS 61 SF might be better candidates if you want to run the pipe as per the original. The RF is better suited for an upright or inverted mount configuration in a design which has a pipe through the fuse top or in a wing belly pan on a "mid-wing" design.

David.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 PM
chrisseawright

Ok I just weighd the fuse it still has the old paint on it with all the gear ready to fly it weighs 5 pounds 2 ounces so with the sanded wing weight and wing gear I stand at about 7 1/2 pounds total weight before anything is aplied to the wing is this good or bad?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 PM
doxilia

You'll be fine.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 PM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

dphillips3

No way to do a CPA/BPA contest at field or is there anything else in the area ?

Scott
classicpatternassociation
Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 PM
chrisseawright

does anyone know a good method of removing old paint from a fiberglass fuse.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:01 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: chrisseawright

does anyone know a good method of removing old paint from a fiberglass fuse.

the orange citrus based paint remover at walmart or lowe's work better than anything out there. the name is citristrip i think. do a search here i've used it and posted my results as well as have others.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
chrisseawright

Thanks for the advice ill be going to get me a gallon in the morning
Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

If it seems to be slow going (the paint stripping) try laying some wax paper over the stripper while your waiting. It's an old trick/tip; it keeps the solvents from evaporating too quickly. It works great on old paints and varnishes etc. Do be careful as it's been awhile since I've used it with the citrus strippers, the ratio of citrus concentrate (which I believe is a form of d-limonene) to other additives has likely changed. To test it, try the technique on an old useless (if you have it) piece of scrap something or other. It really does improve the stripping agents ability!
hook
Old 03-09-2010, 08:24 PM
chrisseawright

Thanks for the info on the citrastrip it works great I put the wax paper on top and the next day was able to take the paint off with a toothbrush and the best part is it smells good to
Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that stuff is awesome. i couldn't imagine sanding a hard epoxy paint off.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 PM
dphillips3

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

dphillips3

No way to do a CPA/BPA contest at field or is there anything else in the area ?

Scott
classicpatternassociation
I would love to do it at our field (Alabaster)but the grass is a nightmare with retracts and kraft wheels. Maybe we could find somewere between us that would have it. If you come up with something let me know.

Chris,
We met the guy at Perry that you bought your Curare from last year. He had two tipo's, an Omega and a Clypso. We brought them all home! It was a good swap meet.
Didn't you say you fly at gadsden? The have a nice paved runway great for CPA/BPA. Think about it...

DP3
Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM
chrisseawright

yes we do have a paved runway but very little intrest from club members for having events we used to have a spa contest every year but nothing the last 2 years. we are gearing up at our field in ashville to have the bud cadell fly in not sure of the date yet but would love to see yall come up and fly with us ill post the date when I find out. Wish I could have gone to perry to find some more planes but didnt get a chance its not like I dont have enough already but I like to find the old ones.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 PM
dphillips3

We flew the last SPA contest that was held up there, I guess it was a year or two ago, man time flys! That would be a great place to have a contest.

Something has come up at our club every time yall have had that fly in. Maybe we will make it this year, I hope so. I got to meet Mr. Cadell back in the 80's when I was a kid (shows how old I am). He was a master builder and an asset to rc airplanes. He was building a Zero back then and the detail was un-believable. Let me know when the date comes available, hopefully we can make it this year.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:11 AM
chrisseawright

ususaly we have the full scale airshow and the flyin at the same time but the airshow has gotten so big the we have seperated the two so we can have more time dedicated to the RC planes last years airshow we had 5000 people so we decieded to split it up.