Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Dirty Birdy: My Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 08:50 PM
M.Kimbro
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirty Birdy: My Winter Project

Here are some photos of my Dirty Birdy that Ifinshed just a couple of weeks ago. Thought some of you guys here on RCU would enjoy the looks of the finished plane.

Matt Kimbro
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om32827.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	1402500   Click image for larger version

Name:	ur52030.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	3.36 MB
ID:	1402501   Click image for larger version

Name:	ge95410.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	1402502   Click image for larger version

Name:	ay75855.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	1402503  
Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dirty Birdy: My Winter Project

Very nice work! That is going to be much fun!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Wow!! Very Nice!! Congratulations on a beautiful airplane...

Is that the new style Axe/Rossi engine?? I would like to hear how it is when you fly it...

Enjoy..

Chuck
Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
KLXMASTER14

Awesome!!! I like the aileron mod.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Sweet, tell us about your finish (very nice) and components used.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 AM
hrrcflyer

Matt,

That sure is one beautiful Dirty Birdy. It's done in my favorite colors too - Red, White & Blue...[sm=thumbs_up.gif] I bet she flies a good as she looks. I would also like to hear about how it flies since I have one still sitting in the box at home...

David
Old 03-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Atlanta 60

Not digging on you here!! I noticed what appears to be a sizable chunk of lead on the tail...Sorry but I'm kinda glad to see that because I bought a complete RTF aircraft which has allot of lead on the tail and the CG is still too far forward (won't even spin)...I think I'm going to have to match what's already on there to get the CG within range...My fish scale died so I haven't weighed the plane but it feels pretty heavy already...

Do you have an all up weight on yours?? Can you think of any way we could get that lead off the tail?? (guess not or you would have already done it)...I was gonna sit down and see if there was anything I could do to avoid adding more weight...It's a really nice airplane and flies very well but needs the CG moved back pretty bad...It's a glassed and painted fuse with monocoat wings...It was built buy a great builder out in Las Vegas (where I bought it while I was TDY for work)...

I'm not sure theres gonna be anything I can do to avoid adding more lead to the tail but I sure would like to figure something out...If you come up with any ideas please let me know!! I will do the same for you..

Wonder why these suckers wind up like that?? Does everyone have a similar problem with the DB?? Like I say I bought mine complete and RTF...Had I built it I might could have recognized this issue early and done something to subdue it a little...However in this case I'm pretty sure I'll wind up adding more lead... []

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM
ChiefK

Matt,

Would you be related to Jim Kimbro? Just curious. I'm currently building a Kimbro "Deception".

Your DB looks spectacular. The photos don't do it justice. I had to see if they could be "improved". What do you think?
Hope you don't mind.

ChiefK

Name:	Jh14804.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	1402737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35832.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	1402738  
Old 03-22-2010, 10:47 AM
M.Kimbro

re"> The engine runs great, it is dummy-proof.  A small adjustment on the idle needle and it idles great and it transitions great.  I have the engine rich because I am still in the break in process.  Even with the engine rich it has great power, and excellent speed.  The engine turns 12,500 on the ground with a apc 11x10.  
re"> As for the finish process, the wing, stab and fin are covered with 3/4 oz. glass with West Systems.  The fuse is fiber-glass.  The paint I used is a water base paint called Envrobase from PPG.  The clear coat is a PPG product as well, called Concept.  
re"> The plane weighs 8.5 lbs.  I have 2 oz. of weight on the tail and it is still a little nose heavy.  As for how to fix the problem I am not sure because there is not much room in the fuse to move anything around.   Plus most of the gear is in the nose, you got the engine, nose gear, and fuel tank.  re"> Yes, Jim Kimbro is my dad.

Matt Kimbro
Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Chuck,

Have you thought about moving elevator servo(s) to the tail?

. . .<snip>. . ....I was gonna sit down and see if there was anything I could do to avoid adding more weight...It's a really nice airplane and flies very well but needs the CG moved back pretty bad.... . .<snip>. .

Name:	Hf97938.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1402791  
Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 AM
ChiefK

Matt,

Thanks for the engine info. I'm putting a Webra "Champion" with a Perry pump in my Deception. It's still NIB so I'll get some rpm data once it's in the airframe.

Can you give us some details on your painting process? This was my DB from "back in the day".....

ChiefK

Name:	Eb86967.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	1402794  
Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 PM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: M.Kimbro

re''> The engine runs great, it is dummy-proof. A small adjustment on the idle needle and it idles great and it transitions great. I have the engine rich because I am still in the break in process. Even with the engine rich it has great power, and excellent speed. The engine turns 12,500 on the ground with a apc 11x10.
re''> As for the finish process, the wing, stab and fin are covered with 3/4 oz. glass with West Systems. The fuse is fiber-glass. The paint I used is a water base paint called Envrobase from PPG. The clear coat is a PPG product as well, called Concept.
re''> The plane weighs 8.5 lbs. I have 2 oz. of weight on the tail and it is still a little nose heavy. As for how to fix the problem I am not sure because there is not much room in the fuse to move anything around. Plus most of the gear is in the nose, you got the engine, nose gear, and fuel tank. re''> Yes, Jim Kimbro is my dad.

Matt Kimbro
Beautiful Dirty Birdy! [sm=thumbup.gif]

I read the DB's come out nose heavy. I know it's kinda late for you since you're finished, but here's what I did (for future reference) to handle the nose heavy(ness).
I made mine a tail dragger (blasphemy, I know...), I moved the tank to the C of G and put the rudder and elevator servos behind the trailing edge of the wing and added a small access hatch.
Having the tank on the CG will also help (hopefully) keep it from nosing over since the extra weight of the fuel wont be in front of the CG.

Name:	Nl28862.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1402808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22111.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1402809  
Old 03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Brilliant setup Jeff and beautiful DB Matt! Color scheme reminds me of some other design we're all quite familiar with... Man, that water based stuff really works well.

As for the built planes with nose heavy condition, isn't it possible to stuff the battery on the top or bottom of the fuse behind the wing TE? Or are they already? Maybe they interfere with the controls?

David.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey guys,
I've been working on an all wood Dirty Birdi, then last weekend I came accross a fully finished DB complete with HB .61, pipe, servos, battery, and fiberglass fuselage and decided I could not wait to finish my kit, and bought it.

Can anyone tell me if the CG for the fiberglass fuse version is the same as the CG location on the all wood kit. I checked the CG at 6.5" from the leading edge of the wing but it was still very nose heavy. Other than that it flew fine. On the ground I was getting 13,700 with an 11x8, I have an 11x9 I'm going to try this weekend. All up weight is 8lbs 9 oz.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Looks great Matt! I wish the H9 Phoenix would get here. We could then do some old style pattern. You guys coming to Lancaster this coming weekend?
Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM
ChiefK

Tony,

Saw your location and decided to contact you. I was stationed at Edwards many years ago and lived in Quartz Hill for quite a few years before relocating to North Carolina. I'm very familiar with your area and still have family in Lancaster and Burbank. I'm into classic pattern, currently building a scratch Deception after many years away from the hobby.

Greg
Old 03-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Wduck

Very nice build. The vertical fin looks very Deception like and the wing looks to be slightly different configuration.  Beautiful finish on the paint.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
ChiefK

You're right... the fuselage appears to be DB, but the wing has a double taper and barn-door ailerons. The shape of the vertical stab appears to be a cross between the DB and the Deception, but the movable rudder is full length as the DB was. I'll bet this plane will be a great flyer.

ChiefK
Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Atlanta 60

Thank You guys for the helpful insight on the DB CG issue...Some very good advice...The plane I bought is defiantly worthy of the necessary "surgery" required to get it right...It will be my SPA airplane and I hope to make a couple of contests this year so I better get cracking!!

I've thought about moving the tank to the CG but wasn't exactly sure how the OS FSR and a Perry pump would get along??? Another option I keep forgetting about is a Cline regulator which I might actually prefer...You get kinda spoiled once you have flown a plane with a pumped engine and the tank mounted on the CG...You really notice when the tank is hanging out there in the nose and the trim changes that occur as fuel burns off...

Judging from the looks of the lead currently on the tail of my plane I would bet there is easily 2oz already back there...When I last had the plane on the balancer it seems like I needed another 2oz to get it to balance correctly...At the time my "thinking INSIDE the box" idea was to cut that bottom "fin" thingy off and just mold a new one out of lead...he he (it just looks like allot of lead when it's all piled up and sitting there)...That's probably what got me so distraught and closed minded because I initially got depressed just looking at that pile-o-lead...

Now that I see some good "outside the box" (or common sense) approaches to curing the problem I am relieved...It will defiantly be some work but a far better approach to take...

I despise lead in the tail of my planes....Now with all these good ideas if I could just get the lead out of my arse I could get my plane fixed...

Sorry I didn't mean to Hi-Jack this thread...

Thanks Yall...

Chuck

P.S. I spent a few months hangin' out in the High Desert in the early 2000's...Got to visit Eddy's...I only got to visit (ie quick drive though and stop at the museum) but still a Kewl place!! Pretty much heaven for an aviation buff!! Tried to get a visit to Burt Rutans place too but no luck...Did get a t-shirt though...
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM
M.Kimbro

Thanks Tony.  We plan on going this weekend.  Our only question is the forcast for Friday is Windy.  Could you define Windy for us.  15-20 mph winds or what?
Yup, it has a tapered wing and it has barn-door ailerons.  Also the airfoil on the wing tip is not a DB tip, and the stab is not a DB stab.  My dad had a DB back in the day, so he helped me with modifcations to get the airplane to fly better than he remembered it flying.  So that is the reason for the modications done to my DB.

Matt Kimbro
Old 03-23-2010, 09:41 AM
TonyF

Hi Matt,

I use Weather Underground and they are usually pretty close. Right now Friday does look a bit windy, probably flyable but breezy. Saturday and Sunday look good. Bring that DB! I want to see it go!

Tony
Old 03-23-2010, 06:37 PM
TonyF

We could also meet at Arvin on Friday if it's windy here in Lancaster.