RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Classic RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/)
-   -   Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/classic-rc-pattern-flying-379/10971562-dirty-birdy-40-laser-kit.html)

doxilia 02-22-2012 08:37 PM

Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit

1 Attachment(s)
Fellas,

I thought I'd share my most recent efforts. After working on a Dirty Birdy 40 (DB40) CAD plan for several evenings, I'm finally satisfied with the results. The work was partly inspired by a nice set of Compufoil NACA 0016 ribs kindly provided by Jim (in my neck of the woods ;)). I drew a wing around them, and the rest, well, as I've always wanted to build a DB40, here it is!

I've contacted my laser cutter and he currently has cut files in hand. A wood order is being worked up for the model. I've made every effort to include all the parts that are required in the build with the exception of dimensional "long stock" balsa material. This essentially consists of some lengths of 29" square, sheet and 1" pieces for the construction of the wing (LE, SLE, LE & TE sheeting and spars). Since I will be sourcing this material for my build, I can always pick up some more in such a way to produce a complete wood kit.

If you want to put that boxed up OS 40 or 46 FSR/SF, Rossi 40 or YS 45 to work, here's your opportunity!

Drop me a PM if interested in a kit.

Looking forward to the sounds of 15K+ engines at work...[8D]

David

P.S. I can provide more details on the design, modifications and great improvements :) to the original plans. One such improvement is the inclusion of a self aligning ply wing jig to aid in the construction of the symmetrical wing. All that's needed to complete the jig are two 1/4" x 32" CF or steel rods. The jig can also be re-used to frame up similar wings for 40 size or smaller models.

doxilia 02-22-2012 09:36 PM

RE: Dirty Birdy 40 - Laser Kit

1 Attachment(s)
Hoping Don (Frequent Flyer) won't mind, I'll post some pictures of his beautiful recently finished Dirty Birdy 40 for upcoming build inspiration!

David

doxilia 02-23-2012 08:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a drawing of the wing jig.

The two end jigs are held at the proper distance from each other by the spacers shown above and below the wing. The two side jigs and spacers build up (they slot together) into a frame around the wing. There are also four "stands", two on each end, fore and aft, to aid in stability and leveling of the jig. The stands can also be swapped from top to bottom while flipping the wing and jig assembly together in order to complete the underside of the wing (or the top side depending on how the landing gear ribs were glued in). The wing is perfectly symmetrical so there is really no top and bottom other than for the fact that the gear and servos go on the underside... :D

The two green lines denote 1/4" CF or steel rods that slide through the ribs. The ribs are first all inserted along the parallel TE rod. They are then spaced out with the aid of a notched TE spar starting from the tip. At the same time, the LE of the ribs is supported by the LE rod inserted through the ribs as one moves toward the root and positions the ribs in the notched TE spar. The root rib has no notch in the TE spar as it is angled for dihedral with a supplied gauge. Once the ribs and rods are framed up along with the TE spar, the main spars can be added. The TE spar can then be glued to the ribs followed by the main spars.

The rest of the wing build proceeds in a normal fashion by adding sub LE, rib doublers and rails for landing gear, TE and LE sheeting, shear webs, center sheeting and cap strips. The jig rods can then be removed from the wing, the panel removed from the jig and then trimmed and sanded. Lastly, the panel can have the LE, fixed TE, aileron and wing tip added. The two panels are then joined at the root and the center section glassed.

David

alcarafa 02-23-2012 09:21 AM

David sent a pm, saludos.

Free Bird 02-23-2012 09:43 AM

David,

Very nice! I'm in for a (complete wood) kit! Awesome stuff!

FB

Jim_Purcha 02-24-2012 10:24 AM

A DB 40 kit would be nice, but it would be sitting on a shelf for a while. I have a Tower Kaos ARF (99.8% finished, throttle linkage, exhaust extensionand balancing), the Kaos 40 tail dragger I picked up at a swap meet last year, Utter Chaos 40 kit, Ultrasport 40 kit and Ultrasport 60 kit. Plans for an Alpha (Model Aviation 80's) looks very much between a Kaos and DB40.

Plus this might be the year for major yard work: deck, fence and shed. I still have deck plans to draw up.

Jim

Roary m 02-24-2012 12:12 PM

But if he is sitting on the shelf, you'll know he's there whilst you are laboring out in the sun. Face it, the house never gets done, just don't tell the woman.

doxilia 02-24-2012 12:56 PM

Rick,

Thanks for the enthusiasm!

Jim,

Sounds like one Kaos too many... You ought to swap it out for a sleek DB40 - with your ribs no less! :D

Roary,

That strikes me as the right spirit. A classic in the air is worth 1000 leaves in the yard; a classic on the shelf is worth a rickety fence with character...:)

I should have further updates on the kits early next week, maybe even over the weekend. We now have enough info to place a wood order. My cutter has a pretty decent source (I found the wood on the UFO's to be pretty good for non contest grade).

David

Free Bird 02-24-2012 12:57 PM

I don't have to tell the woman, she tells me it's not done![:@]

Free Bird 02-28-2012 12:20 PM

David,

I know this is a little late in the game for ya, but I came across a DB40 kit and the canopy is in excellent shape! I plan on having it molded by Park Flyer Plastics (waiting for him to contact me), so that means if it's a go, there will be canopies available for your short kit.

FB

doxilia 02-28-2012 02:43 PM

Rick,

Great news!

I have reworked the laser layout to maximize the wood usage based on how my cutter does things. I'll be resending files tomorrow so as soon as the wood order arrives he will proceed with the cutting.

Stay tuned!

David

Roary m 02-28-2012 02:57 PM

GP carries the canopy for the Dirty Birdy but it comes out to a 60 size. The part # is GPMQ2110. It's the real thing with the divits around the base and pretty reasonable as well. If I can remember to do it, I will pull out the canopy on my 40 size kit and do a measure to see if he would work.

doxilia 02-28-2012 04:19 PM

Roary,

I just checked both Tower's and GP's web sites but neither retains any info on that part number. Could you provide a link to the DB60 canopies?

Thanks, david

Jim_Purcha 02-28-2012 04:20 PM

FB. good call. I have purchased several canopies from Keith Sparks. He sells these at a decent price, even for shipping to Canada. Maybe one day, I'll actually use one of them (Gator Flea, A6 Intruder, Falcon JR, KCF-18). Get him to mould the fibreglass cowl too out of slightly heavier ABS.

Jim

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

David,

I know this is a little late in the game for ya, but I came across a DB40 kit and the canopy is in excellent shape! I plan on having it molded by Park Flyer Plastics (waiting for him to contact me), so that means if it's a go, there will be canopies available for your short kit.

FB

Free Bird 02-28-2012 07:03 PM

Most of the vintage canopies that Keith has in his line up, I have supplied over the past few years. To me, is one of the hardest parts to come up with when building these oldies. I'm very grateful that Keith provides the service that he does. I also have a DB60 canopy that I should have molded.

Roary: I too couldn't find any listing for a DB canopy, only the Kaos 40.

FB

Free Bird 02-29-2012 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
David,

I'm ready to send the DB40 canopy out for molding, however it seems that at some point in time, some heat was applied to the rear of the canopy or more than likely, it was a bad pull from the mold. So it has a small twist and curve at the rear of it. I'm going to see if Keith can work some magic and straighten it out some before molding it. This really bums me out.

On another note, I have a DB60 canopy from a Bluejay kit and it looks like they changed it a little bit, or just buy something that looks close from a vendor. The front curve of the canopy has a somewhat sharp point instead of a smooth curve. Also the back of the canopy is a little on the fat side, it doesn't taper like a DB canopy should and is on thje short side. When compared to the DB40 canopy, it just doesn't have the same look or style to it.

So, I have a question for all you pattern guys, does anyone have a virgin DB60 canopy that could be used to make a mold? In return you'll get a couple of new canopies at no cost. Or does anyboby already pull a DB60 canopy? Please PM me if you do. Thanks!!

FB

doxilia 02-29-2012 10:16 AM

Rick,

thanks for posting those. It's too bad about your DB40 canopy. It seems that by modifying the tail end of the plug, perhaps it could be fixed. I gather that PFP makes their molds by producing a male of the canopy first, then producing the master female and then perhaps a master male. Or maybe he goes straight to the master male from the original canopy?

If he goes through the cycle procedure, maybe it can be fixed in the first "working" male by cutting off the rear and remaking it or by adding material and re-obtaining symmetry.

As far as the DB60 canopy, I agree the one supplied by BJ just does not look right. I've seen that canopy with other BJ kits such as their two Kaos'. I think you're right Rick, they just include a generic canopy that "fits" the model vintage. I would not be satisfied with it on a DB60.

A better alternative to me (albeit probably more expensive) would seem to ask Don to produce glass DB60 canopies. He made (at least) one for his Kaos 60 by using the full glass DB60 fuse mold and just used the canopy section. For non-clear canopies (as some of us might be inclined to finish on DB's), the glass option, especially on the 60, would seem like an option - assuming Don was interested in making a few. I think Don just offered to make one for Ralph's UFO (from his UFO mold).

If PFP is unable to fix the clear DB40 canopy, there will always be the ply/foam or ply/balsa alternative. The kit will include the "templates" (part of the canopy) to produce a ply/foam version so there is always that. To me, the main reason to go with a clear canopy would be in the event you want to finish the model without painting the canopy (at least partially); otherwise, the ply/foam/glass strikes me as a better option. It actually doesn't take that long to produce it. The glassing/finishing takes longer than the production of it.

David

Roary m 03-02-2012 07:52 PM

I just went thru my 2011 Tower catalog, no canopy. They sold these things forever so I think my next move is to give them a call. It's a shame if they discontinued them because they were the real knockoff.

Free Bird 03-02-2012 07:59 PM

HOLY COW!! I CAN ACCESS AND POST ON RCU!! WHAT IS UP WITH RCU??!!

I've got a lead on another canopy and it's local. I'm hoping to get a hold of it shortly. Stat tuned!

FB

hook57 03-03-2012 06:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

HOLY COW!! I CAN ACCESS AND POST ON RCU!! WHAT IS UP WITH RCU??!!

I've got a lead on another canopy and it's local. I'm hoping to get a hold of it shortly. Stat tuned!

FB
Ditto here too! What a PITA this site has become. Anyhow, I have a DB60 canopy (virgin), I did begin trimming the base but it's mostly still there. What's the time frame if it's still needed? I won't be able to send it to you until 3/12 (it's at my other place). Let me know?
David, did you get my PM from a few weeks ago?
Mark

doxilia 03-03-2012 06:48 AM

Er,

no I didn't Mark. I have been receiving PM's from someone addressing another user though. I think the RCU PM stuff is going astray. Please send it to me again. Hopefully I'll receive it this time!

David

Free Bird 03-03-2012 06:53 AM

Ditto here too! What a PITA this site has become. Anyhow, I have a DB60 canopy (virgin), I did begin trimming the base but it's mostly still there. What's the time frame if it's still needed? I won't be able to send it to you until 3/12 (it's at my other place). Let me know?
David, did you get my PM from a few weeks ago?
Mark
Hook, thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind if needed. The friend that has the DB40 also has a DB60, and I'm trying to get both from him. I'll advise. Thanks again!

I SAY, LET'S ALL MOVE OVER TO THE CLASSIC PATTERN FORUM YOU-KNOW-WHERE! NO ISSUES THERE!!!

FB

doxilia 03-03-2012 06:57 AM

On a quick update re the DB40 cut, I was rather taken up with work last week but I've exchanged a few emails with my cutter about how to "optimize" the kit. Basically as I'm still a little green with the layout stuff, I didn't put a great deal of thought on how to make the best use of wood, I just laid things out as it best seemed to fit together on the sheets. I have now relaid the parts so that each 36" sheet is used fully to the extent possible. This will be more efficient from a cutting standpoint and will make good use of the wood.

He'll cut a first cut starting next week that he'll ship to me for proofing (my work, not his). This will give me an opportunity to check all the parts and fit of things while the wood order comes in for the other kits. I'm pleased with the fit of things on the CAD plans but there's nothing quite like checking the actual wood. If any minor improvements or modifications need to be done, I'll have the chance to do it before the other kits are cut.

Glad to hear the good news about the canopies Rick!

David

Free Bird 03-03-2012 10:05 AM

The canopies should be on the way to me on Monday. There will be the DB40, DB60 and an MK Beetle, all thanks to pitstop000! I believe that he'll be posting some pics before he ships them out.

FB

pitstop000 03-03-2012 10:30 AM

More info and Pics here. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...p;postcount=14

I tried to load pics here but no go! I give up http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../cry_smile.gif